Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 595 of 615 FirstFirst ... 95495545585593594595596597605 ... LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,925 of 9218
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Except you don't do your time a lot of the time for normal sentences. This is only about people with life sentences with no hope for parole. Their time is infinite. The only time their time is up is when their life ends. Do you want to go to heroic measures to keep life prisoners alive as long as possible? Even if they have a DNR on file?
    Forget the DNR, they do their time. Somethings I don't get wishy-washy about.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Except you don't do your time a lot of the time for normal sentences. This is only about people with life sentences with no hope for parole. Their time is infinite. The only time their time is up is when their life ends. Do you want to go to heroic measures to keep life prisoners alive as long as possible? Even if they have a DNR on file?
    Come on now. There's quite a chasm between going to "heroic measures to keep life prisoners alive as long as possible" and providing them with suicide pills to take the easy way out. The real solution is in the area in between that you are seemingly ignoring.

If you cared so much about wanting prisoners to not "live against their wishes", you may as well advocate that every person in prison be given a high end Cali king sized bed in their own fully furnished room (with no cell mate unless both parties specifically requested bunking with each other), delicious and nutritious meals of their choosing, all the entertainment and exercise options they could imagine, or heck: just let them all free.

We should be. You want expertise in the criminal justice system there is data only the criminals can give you.

Prison isn't supposed to be hell, we want people who are going to get out to be better people when they get out, not worse.
    If someone commits a capital murder that their choice is life or the death penalty, rehabilitation should not be the goal of their prison term. We are not seeking to release this person back into the general public. I agree prison shouldn't be "hell." It should be tolerable. But it shouldn't be easy either, especially for those serving a life term.

Also, if you want general information regarding the criminal justice/prison system, thats fine. But someone committing a capital murder shouldn't have an opinion on their life. They dont get to choose when they eat lunch, shower, etc either. They are a prisoner for life.

I don't know where this would go, but this should be criticized.

https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/statu...57275479760896

As ⁦@chicagosmayor reaches her two year midway point as mayor, her spokeswoman says Lightfoot is granting 1 on 1 interviews - only to Black or Brown journalists
    how is that fair or acceptable. discrimination against any other reporters, that could be white, Asian, whatever.

privilege..
    a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

An odd aside ... heard about a study being done on happiness based on internet traffic. Basically happiness has been setting record lows since early 2020 with all the crap going one. The odd thing is that it actually made me feel a little better about the world that the record low by far was caused by the killing of George Floyd. It's a little strange to find hope in society being so upset overall but it did.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Come on now. There's quite a chasm between going to "heroic measures to keep life prisoners alive as long as possible" and providing them with suicide pills to take the easy way out. The real solution is in the area in between that you are seemingly ignoring.

If you cared so much about wanting prisoners to not "live against their wishes", you may as well advocate that every person in prison be given a high end Cali king sized bed in their own fully furnished room (with no cell mate unless both parties specifically requested bunking with each other), delicious and nutritious meals of their choosing, all the entertainment and exercise options they could imagine, or heck: just let them all free.
    So you say I'm missing the middle ground between life in prison and suicide then you talk about giving them luxury apartments

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    If someone commits a capital murder that their choice is life or the death penalty, rehabilitation should not be the goal of their prison term. We are not seeking to release this person back into the general public. I agree prison shouldn't be "hell." It should be tolerable. But it shouldn't be easy either, especially for those serving a life term.

Also, if you want general information regarding the criminal justice/prison system, thats fine. But someone committing a capital murder shouldn't have an opinion on their life. They dont get to choose when they eat lunch, shower, etc either. They are a prisoner for life.
    If they are going to spend life in prison then rehabilitation doesn't matter as much since they are never going to be back in society. That doesn't mean they should live in state sponsored hell.

All I was saying was that if we as a society have decided to exclude them from society why keep them alive against their wishes? Other than vengeance what is to be gained?

Just as a point of clarification for everyone, a life sentence doesn’t literally mean they are in jail until they die. Usually a life sentence is between 15-20 years with a chance of parole. So someone serving a life sentence will likely be back in society at some point. This is also why you will occasionally hear of someone serving consecutive life sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Just as a point of clarification for everyone, a life sentence doesn’t literally mean they are in jail until they die. Usually a life sentence is between 15-20 years with a chance of parole. So someone serving a life sentence will likely be back in society at some point. This is also why you will occasionally hear of someone serving consecutive life sentences.
    That's why I've been saying more than just "life sentence".

That said, it's never made sense to me that "life" isn't "until death" in sentencing.

So you say I'm missing the middle ground between life in prison and suicide then you talk about giving them luxury apartments
    Apparently what I said (obviously in jest) went right over your head.

Saw this is reddit and figured I'd post it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...eb2x&context=3

Dude comes to the aid of asian being attacked.

That's ****ing awesome.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Good for him. We need to see more of that. Knocked that mob courage right out of them. See how fast they ran when someone bigger step in. I hate to say it but some people need that type of public correcting.
    Last edited by WES445; 05-20-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Good for him. We need to see more of that. Knocked that mob courage right out of them. See how fast they ran when someone bigger step in. I hate to say it but some people need that type of public correcting.
    Thousands of them needed it last year. Unfortunately, they didn't get it.

Good catch Scoot. After seeing so many clips of people acting out, it is good to see someone rising to the occasion.

Will Rogers