Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 520 of 624 FirstFirst ... 20420470510518519520521522530570620 ... LastLast
Results 7,786 to 7,800 of 9360
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    If it's not guilt, then what is driving you to dismiss this obvious, blatant reality?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    the obvious blatant reality that every white person simply must have this white privilege because some told you so?

there are all types of privilege (white, black, male, female, more) but it is not a blanket where everyone has it.

is there a potential that someone white could get a benefit or privilege because they happen to be white, that could happen. but to assume or conclude that that is the reason why whatever happened happened is nonsense.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    But making it gender or race blind at that late in the process may actually expand the discrepancies. Which is why we need to start solving the problem at the earliest stages.
    So start with pre-school applications.

But making it gender or race blind at that late in the process may actually expand the discrepancies. Which is why we need to start solving the problem at the earliest stages.
    How could eliminating race and gender in selection make it worse? I understand that it doesn't make more women into engineers directly but that's already happening (my daughters school and girl scouts have programs to get girls interested in those fields).

There is no one thing that fixes all issues, I'm just suggesting one thing we can do to help solve a known issue.

It definitely expands the discrepancies, that's the entire basis of affirmative action
    Did you know the supreme court said racial quotas in the form of affirmative action were unconstitutional?

Did you know that 9 states have a blanket ban on affirmative action?
    California (1996), Washington (1998), Florida (1999), Michigan (2006), Nebraska (2008), Arizona (2010), New Hampshire (2012), Oklahoma (2012), and Idaho (2020)

I'm also in favor of having poorer area schools get more money and richer area schools get less money in an effort to add balance.

It doesn't need to be race based to have a larger positive impact on one race over others.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    How could eliminating race and gender in selection make it worse? I understand that it doesn't make more women into engineers directly but that's already happening (my daughters school and girl scouts have programs to get girls interested in those fields).

There is no one thing that fixes all issues, I'm just suggesting one thing we can do to help solve a known issue.
    Because by that point the white kid could have already enjoyed the benefit of going to a better, more funded High School with more extra curricular and tutors to help them with their tests and grades.

Thereís a reason one of the biggest predictors to college is wealth:

https://www.insidehighered.com/admis...dge-admissions

Iím saying I donít think that will solve this known issue until we first fix the path and all the steps prior to applying for college.

Did you know the supreme court said racial quotas in the form of affirmative action were unconstitutional?

California (1996), Washington (1998), Florida (1999), Michigan (2006), Nebraska (2008), Arizona (2010), New Hampshire (2012), Oklahoma (2012), and Idaho (2020)

I'm also in favor of having poorer area schools get more money and richer area schools get less money in an effort to add balance.

It doesn't need to be race based to have a larger positive impact on one race over others.
    But they did say that looking at race in part of a comprehensive review in efforts to improve diversity were OK. They absolutely did not rule affirmative action was unconstitutional, only that you canít put a specific amount on how many applicants of each race you wish to take.

Because by that point the white kid could have already enjoyed the benefit of going to a better, more funded High School with more extra curricular and tutors to help them with their tests and grades.

Thereís a reason one of the biggest predictors to college is wealth:

https://www.insidehighered.com/admis...dge-admissions

Iím saying I donít think that will solve this known issue until we first fix the path and all the steps prior to applying for college.
    But that's already true. And I also said I was for flipping the funding of schools to get poor areas better schools. How could getting gender and race out of selection make it WORSE?

But that's already true. And I also said I was for flipping the funding of schools to get poor areas better schools. How could getting gender and race out of selection make it WORSE?
    Yeah except now we still have affirmative action, getting gender and race out of selections would eliminate that and definitely make it worse right now.

Yeah except now we still have affirmative action, getting gender and race out of selections would eliminate that and definitely make it worse right now.
    Affirmative action is a rarity. It's WILDLY the exception not the rule. Right now the majority of selections are done by people in power and most of them are subconsciously choosing people who look like them, think like them, have a history like them, and who they think will "fit in" with their existing work force. In other words anti-diversity is the norm now.

Affirmative action is a rarity. It's WILDLY the exception not the rule. Right now the majority of selections are done by people in power and most of them are subconsciously choosing people who look like them, think like them, have a history like them, and who they think will "fit in" with their existing work force. In other words anti-diversity is the norm now.
    Are you talking college admissions or jobs?

Are you talking college admissions or jobs?
    All public selection processes, and job selection too. The job selection one may require incentives to get them to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    the obvious blatant reality that every white person simply must have this white privilege because some told you so?

there are all types of privilege (white, black, male, female, more) but it is not a blanket where everyone has it.

is there a potential that someone white could get a benefit or privilege because they happen to be white, that could happen. but to assume or conclude that that is the reason why whatever happened happened is nonsense.
    Being white in america is in of itself a privilege. No one told me, I've observed it myself.

It is A factor as to why things happen.

RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

What diff does it make?

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

What diff does it make?

That affirmative action is not a high impact policy.

That affirmative action is not a high impact policy.
    Ok, i dont see what bearing that has on my point.