Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 513 of 639 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515523563613 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,695 of 9575
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    They purged it a few years back and the gop has no desire to reintroduce it because they care more about suppressing votes from minorities and young people and staying power than democracy.
    Sometimes I think it was always about maintaining power more so than following and defending the Constitution.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    There is a reason why just about every revolution ever involved violence. It is how it is and always will be.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Good point. Malcolm X said George Washington and them didnt gain freedom by singing we shall overcome, they got it by getting weaponized and organized and fighting for it.

No disrespect to MLK and his approach, there's no denying its impact. I think both elements can and did play a role, but there's still a long way to go. There are still systems of oppression in effect.

Even after the civil rights act. We all know the purposeful targeting of black communities by drug laws, but even the fact that drugs were rampant in these communities was the result of targeted actions.

There was a show called living single, one of the actress from there erika Alexander was talking about what was going on in the industry in the mid to late 90's. TV had a number of black professionals on tv in big roles, and they started trying to push this imagery of violent or criminal characters rather than upper middle class professionals. It's crazy the way some of this **** works. This is Hollywood, this is liberals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nastynice; 03-22-2021 at 08:09 AM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

*Just wanted to kick this to the top, see if any conservative posters have a take on this..

WHITE GUILT

I was watching a malcolm x video the other day, he had mentioned what he called guilt complex, or today known as white guilt.

He brought this up when explaining why many white people at the time were saying that he and others like him were inciting hate in their speeches. He said because of that they try to turn the tables on the accuser and put them under the microscope rather than look at themselves under one.

While listening to it it reminded me a lot of not just modern day politics but also of us here on psd. There seems to be this ingrained reaction from the right where anytime a race accusation is brought up they try to destroy the character of the accuser and dismiss his claims.

I'm very curious what the right wing posters in here think of this. Wats your opinion on this take? A little truth to it, a lot truth to it, no truth to it...?

Also, as a muslim I find it very hard to understand. I always found it odd that I was essentially being blamed for the actions of random people based on similarity in religion or race. So why is it white people seem to take this undue burden upon their shoulders of carrying the guilt from actions of random people they never knew?

I think if we can keep this discussion civil, there is a lot we can all gain from each others perspectives.

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

You are asking the right-wing posters, who are white, to confess to your accusations and explain themselves? Am I getting this straight?
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    You are asking the right-wing posters, who are white, to confess to your accusations and explain themselves? Am I getting this straight?
    I just want to see if we can get some real discussion on this idea of white guilt. I do wonder WHY a lot of white people feel this guilt. It seems unreasonable to me for someone to take on the burden of another man's actions.

As a muslim growing up in America, this was the entire thing that annoyed me. We all became kinda responsible for other peoples actions. Made no sense to me.

So.why would white people feel like they are responsible for other white peoples actions?

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I just want to see if we can get some real discussion on this idea of white guilt. I do wonder WHY a lot of white people feel this guilt. It seems unreasonable to me for someone to take on the burden of another man's actions.

As a muslim growing up in America, this was the entire thing that annoyed me. We all became kinda responsible for other peoples actions. Made no sense to me.

So.why would white people feel like they are responsible for other white peoples actions?

bold, because they were told to.

I didn't even read what you said first, but people are becoming more gullible to anything they are told.

\_(ツ)_/

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

When it comes to anything race related, it has always been a combination of 'white man powerful' and 'white man bad'. Even though 'white man' can be such a different thing when it comes to background. Some people in this country can trace their ancestry HERE back to the 1500s, while others haven't been in the US nearly as long.

My grandparents came from Norway and Denmark, for example, in the early 1900s and I grew up just off a reservation. Yet I grew up feeling some guilt over what 'we' did to the natives because people so often see race and that's it. I have no reason to feel guilt given nobody in my family had a hand in anything done to natives or any other minority, but because I'm white (doesn't get much whiter than a blonde Scandahoovian) 'society' groups me in with white slave owners and white descendents of Custer, etc.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    not really a political thing, tho, is it? or at least just a right wing one

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    bold, because they were told to.

I didn't even read what you said first, but people are becoming more gullible to anything they are told.
    Told to by who?

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    When it comes to anything race related, it has always been a combination of 'white man powerful' and 'white man bad'. Even though 'white man' can be such a different thing when it comes to background. Some people in this country can trace their ancestry HERE back to the 1500s, while others haven't been in the US nearly as long.

My grandparents came from Norway and Denmark, for example, in the early 1900s and I grew up just off a reservation. Yet I grew up feeling some guilt over what 'we' did to the natives because people so often see race and that's it. I have no reason to feel guilt given nobody in my family had a hand in anything done to natives or any other minority, but because I'm white (doesn't get much whiter than a blonde Scandahoovian) 'society' groups me in with white slave owners and white descendents of Custer, etc.
    It's strange how that burden makes it's way around to so many people.

This is something that as a minority obviously I dont feel it, but I do believe it and I do believe there is some merit behind the idea of society (wrongly) placing some of that guilt on white people today.

I wonder why that is. I feel like there are portions of this country that somewhat want things to be the way they were, and I dont think it's a portion which can be ignored, as these people are found in many high level.aspects of society, including writing laws. I think maybe some of the dialogue toward these people ends up being spoken to ALL white people in general, which feeds into this concept of white guilt.

Also reverse racism is def at play here, regardless if the intention is there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    not really a political thing, tho, is it? or at least just a right wing one
    Just don't sound productive, at least in this environment.

Will Rogers

Told to by who?

talking heads with media, influential people on social media.

\_(ツ)_/

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

and the bogie man who lives under his bed.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    talking heads with media, influential people on social media.
    Who in media and social media?

It's better if you use right wing examples since it seems to generally be the right wing who carries this guilt.

Most liberals dont seem to carry this guilt, they seem very open to understanding and learning from our mistakes and trying to get better. Generally speaking the dialogue is much more open on the left compared to the right, where this guilt seems to come in play so often, usually leading to a defensive stance.

Last edited by nastynice; 03-23-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Who in media and social media?

It's better if you use right wing examples since it seems to generally be the right wing who carries this guilt.

Most liberals dont seem to carry this guilt, they seem very open to understanding and learning from our mistakes and trying to get better. Generally speaking the dialogue is much more open on the left compared to the right, where this guilt seems to come in play so often, usually leading to a defensive stance.

You realize you can feel some guilt and be open to change at the same time, yes?
    And if you do NOT feel some guilt, you're less likely to be open to change.
    I don't think it's a fair assessment to say liberals feel less guilt.