Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 502 of 615 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512552602 ... LastLast
Results 7,516 to 7,530 of 9218
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Perfecto.

I have you on ignore, but when I saw that you had responded here, I figured it would be to valade16’s post and that it would be a SpecialFNK classic piece of verbal feculence.

Surprise, surprise. I was spot on.
    Bonus points for "feculence".

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Your prejudgement is your problem. No one should be responsible for how you respond to the way they dress. Really a kid who dresses like a hip-hop gangster has no responsibility for your pre-judgment no more than kids who choose to dress like hippies in the sixties who weren't hippies. Your judgment of others is on you alone.
    Not entirely true. If you apply to be a host in a snooty restaurant and show up dressed like your "hip-hop gangster" they are not being responsible for their first impression.

That said, you are right in that people SHOULD not pre-judge others based on appearance, unfortunately it's built into the species.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Not entirely true. If you apply to be a host in a snooty restaurant and show up dressed like your "hip-hop gangster" they are not being responsible for their first impression.

That said, you are right in that people SHOULD not pre-judge others based on appearance, unfortunately it's built into the species.
    I was commenting on Joey's idea that it is up to people who are pre-judgment to disprove their opinion of them. Of course, if a place is a high class you dress properly. He is talking about people who are walking down the street.

I understand Joey's feeling. I have it as well to a lesser degree on this subject, but I don't expect them to reassure me that they aren't a possible threat. That is silly and in some cases with a few bad police officers deadly.
    Last edited by WES445; 03-14-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

I can easily see how Joecy's post is supporting his opinion on police misconduct in the shooting of unarmed blacks.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    I think everyone makes judgements on people when they have little info to go on. If I see a group of young black men dressed in “thug gear,” I judge them as potentially dangerous. If I see a group of young white men dressed in “biker gear,” I judge them as potentially dangerous. It’s up with those groups to provide me with more information to dispel my prejudgments.

Simarily, if I see police in my rear view mirror, I judge them as wanting to pull me over. If police approach me on the street, I assume there’s been some crime or something and again, assume the worst case scenario. Unlike with a group of young black men or white bikers, it’s the police obligation to dispel any fears someone, especially a kid in the snow, May or may not have about them. In this case though, the police only lived up to any preconceived notions this kid may have had ...
    I guess the point is the police are so bad that our perception of them approaching us is akin to seeing young black men in thug gear or white men dressed in biker gear.

People should feel like the Police are approaching them for a positive reason, not a negative one. Yet almost everyone feels an immediate and inherent apprehension. That tells me everything about the way we police needs to change.

I will say that anytime a cop approaches you the odds are at least in your flavor that something bad, as innocent as money out of one's pocket, is coming.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Perfecto.

I have you on ignore, but when I saw that you had responded here, I figured it would be to valade16’s post and that it would be a SpecialFNK classic piece of verbal feculence.

Surprise, surprise. I was spot on.
    not that Crovash has the ability to answer me, but I know I was right.

straight up fact, there has been more death and violence from rioting related to Antifa and Black Lives Matter. period. straight up truth.

that doesn't mean ignore January 6th and those that did that, but lets have some honestly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

I was commenting on Joey's idea that it is up to people who are pre-judgment to disprove their opinion of them. Of course, if a place is a high class you dress properly. He is talking about people who are walking down the street.

I understand Joey's feeling. I have it as well to a lesser degree on this subject, but I don't expect them to reassure me that they aren't a possible threat. That is silly and in some cases with a few bad police officers deadly.
    Yeah, I was taking it out of context just to make the point that it's reasonable in SOME situations to judge by appearance.

Police ABSOLUTELY should be trained to not do that though (not that it's REALLY 100% possible since they are human).

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I guess the point is the police are so bad that our perception of them approaching us is akin to seeing young black men in thug gear or white men dressed in biker gear.

People should feel like the Police are approaching them for a positive reason, not a negative one. Yet almost everyone feels an immediate and inherent apprehension. That tells me everything about the way we police needs to change.
    Total aside, I was in a BBQ joint near closing time late in a bad part of a southern city and a biker gang (around 30 guys) pulled up and came in ... from having a lot of past experience dealing with very scary and dangerous bikers (drugs and money laundering), I was a little nervous ... they ordered, got their food, moves a bunch of tables together right near me at which point their leader lead them in prayer .

Yeah, I was taking it out of context just to make the point that it's reasonable in SOME situations to judge by appearance.

Police ABSOLUTELY should be trained to not do that though (not that it's REALLY 100% possible since they are human).
    True, in that case, accountability is very important to maintain a good relationship with the community they serve. As far as I know, other professions police themselves way far better. A hospital wouldn't tolerate a bad doctor or airline a bad pilot because keeping them would hurt their reputations. Mayors have lost their careers covering for cops' misdeed. I am not saying that it is rampant, but there are enough incidents that we know of to indicate that this a national problem. The cops union arrogance doesn't help.
    Last edited by WES445; 03-14-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Will Rogers

Total aside, I was in a BBQ joint near closing time late in a bad part of a southern city and a biker gang (around 30 guys) pulled up and came in ... from having a lot of past experience dealing with very scary and dangerous bikers (drugs and money laundering), I was a little nervous ... they ordered, got their food, moves a bunch of tables together right near me at which point their leader lead them in prayer .
    Things like this happen more often than many would think. There are a lot of Christian bikers.

True, in that case, accountability is very important to maintain a good relationship with the community they serve. As far as I know, other professions police themselves way far better. A hospital wouldn't tolerate a bad doctor or airline a bad pilot because keeping them would hurt their reputations. Mayors have lost their careers covering for cops' misdeed. I am not saying that it is rampant, but there are enough incidents that we know of to indicate that this a national problem. The cops union arrogance doesn't help.
    Yeah, that accountability issue with police is part of why I think it should be a national rule that police have to live in the area they work and that they should not be able to use fines/fees for budget money for the city/department.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Things like this happen more often than many would think. There are a lot of Christian bikers.
    True. The gangs I dealt with as an advocate for drug addicts were seriously scary dangerous guys who were fine killing people who "needed to be killed". I've also worked with other bikers doing charitable work and spent time at huge biker gatherings where it was clear most of them were genuinely nice people ... but there are also some in those groups who will stab you for looking at them. Generally speaking I'm more concerned about a group of bikers than any other group of people I see but mostly because I've had some really scary experiences.

It was also a trend for upper-middle-class men to cruise together awhile back.

Will Rogers

True. The gangs I dealt with as an advocate for drug addicts were seriously scary dangerous guys who were fine killing people who "needed to be killed". I've also worked with other bikers doing charitable work and spent time at huge biker gatherings where it was clear most of them were genuinely nice people ... but there are also some in those groups who will stab you for looking at them. Generally speaking I'm more concerned about a group of bikers than any other group of people I see but mostly because I've had some really scary experiences.
    Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga by Hunter S. Thompson is quite the read.