Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 475 of 639 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475476477485525575 ... LastLast
Results 7,111 to 7,125 of 9579
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    was it ever referred to as WW1/WW2 curriculum?

someone black famous in history that did something important, why does it have to be "black history month" curriculum instead of just the curriculum in general. I can't imagine any parents opting their child out of something from someone white famous in history, it shouldn't be an option for anyone black famous
    Your super racist opening stance not withstanding--have you ever considered WHY they're famous, or the fact that they wouldn't be famous without American schools teaching about it forcibly and to great extent? The entire point of Black History Month is to educate people about the struggles, achievements, and history of black people that are not always focused on singularly (scary word for you)--if you opt out or do away with it, you end up with ignorant attitudes toward those--evidenced by your constant disdain for them lol.

I understand you don't know anything about the education system in the U.S. since you never participated in it, but I can assure you your completely fabricated "curriculum topic per month" idea doesn't exist. It's like someone handed you a pen and pad and asked you to "imagine" an education system.

I hate to break it to you, but most Americans don't subscribe to your hilariously ignorant idea that Abraham Lincoln isn't a big deal or memorable, because your relentless goal to minimize attention to racial injustice isn't part of our education system.
    Last edited by browski234; 02-09-2021 at 01:23 AM.

Since we're discussing things that aren't in school curriculum that should be. The fact that Oklahoma has a panhandle is apparently due to the fact that Texas wanted to be admitted as a slave state and the Missouri Compromise. Slavery literally gave Oklahoma more territory than it should have.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by browski234 View Post
    Your super racist opening stance not withstanding--have you ever considered WHY they're famous, or the fact that they wouldn't be famous without American schools teaching about it forcibly and to great extent? The entire point of Black History Month is to educate people about the struggles, achievements, and history of black people that are not always focused on singularly (scary word for you)--if you opt out or do away with it, you end up with ignorant attitudes toward those--evidenced by your constant disdain for them lol.

I understand you don't know anything about the education system in the U.S. since you never participated in it, but I can assure you your completely fabricated "curriculum topic per month" idea doesn't exist. It's like someone handed you a pen and pad and asked you to "imagine" an education system.

I hate to break it to you, but most Americans don't subscribe to your hilariously ignorant idea that Abraham Lincoln isn't a big deal or memorable, because your relentless goal to minimize attention to racial injustice isn't part of our education system.

you fail to comprehend what is being said. nowhere did I say to do anyway with it.

read what I said. "whatever they would be covering could or should be part of the curriculum for that grade all year long."

that means whatever they could or would teach in February, should be taught all year long. why bring up someone famous specifically in just February, and not any other month.

teach about famous black people in history and their accomplishments, but it doesn't need to specifically done in 1 month of the year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Since we're discussing things that aren't in school curriculum that should be. The fact that Oklahoma has a panhandle is apparently due to the fact that Texas wanted to be admitted as a slave state and the Missouri Compromise. Slavery literally gave Oklahoma more territory than it should have.
    There are thousands such border oddities in history. The Mason-Dixon line is generally seen as the border between the north anti-slavery states and the southern pro-slavery states but New York had a lot more slavery than Maryland, also because of odd deeding of land and the Mason-Dixon line when you drive on to the Delaware Memorial Bridge you are in Delaware while the vast majority of time you change states with river borders when you cross the middle of the river. Virginia has two panhandles because property was sold/distributed in a grid pattern and some borders were forced to those grid lines rather than natural river borders. A wealthy land owner got the boot of Mississippi to be in Mississippi rather than Arkansas. It was common for bars to be built on state borders so you could "run" from the law by walking to the other end of the bar and changing states. There is a city on CA/OR border (Pine Bluff or something like that) that is bisected by the border, residents can register in CA or OR and get a license in either, I don't know what they do about sales tax. If you stand on the Hoover Dam you are officially in two states and two time zones at the same time.

On education, it used to be required for everyone to take classes in the arts too. I don't understand anybody who wants to avoid learning something, black history, painting, music, animal husbandry ... learn it ALL people, you never know how it will change you for the better, because it definitely won't change you for the worse.

you fail to comprehend what is being said. nowhere did I say to do anyway with it.

read what I said. "whatever they would be covering could or should be part of the curriculum for that grade all year long."

that means whatever they could or would teach in February, should be taught all year long. why bring up someone famous specifically in just February, and not any other month.

teach about famous black people in history and their accomplishments, but it doesn't need to specifically done in 1 month of the year.
    It isn’t.

I know you never attended school in America (or maybe anywhere given your reading comprehension and bizarre ideas about education) but it isn’t. Black history month is not some one month program dedicated to teaching about “famous” black people. It’s a month of reverence and respect that highlights and acknowledges the history of black people.

You’re seriously just making this up as you go lol
    Last edited by browski234; 02-09-2021 at 11:24 PM.

So fnk is pushing for black history year to replace black history month??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by browski234 View Post
    It isn’t.

I know you never attended school in America (or maybe anywhere given your reading comprehension and bizarre ideas about education) but it isn’t. Black history month is not some one month program dedicated to teaching about “famous” black people. It’s a month of reverence and respect that highlights and acknowledges the history of black people.

You’re seriously just making this up as you go lol
    were parents opting out of black history month, or the entire year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/09/us/ma...rnd/index.html

After allowing parents to opt-out of the Black History Month curriculum, a Utah school is switching the decision
    Now, less than a week later, school director Micah Hirokawa says that all families are participating, and the school is no longer offering the option to not participate.

Jesse Hagopian, a teacher at a Seattle high school, told CNN last year that history is often taught through a Eurocentric lens that reduces the contributions of Black people. The effect of the omission isn't just an incomplete picture of US history, it can also damage Black students' self-worth, he said.

"When Black students don't see themselves in the curriculum, it's truly destructive to their sense of self," he said. "Oftentimes, the only time they see themselves in the curriculum is when slavery is being taught. And you cannot reduce our existence to the enslavement of African people."

the bold is disturbing. what kind of curriculum anywhere in America doesn't have people through history that happened to be black.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    So fnk is pushing for black history year to replace black history month??
    Let's just hope what he means is that teacher should teach all of history and do it accurately and not just from the perspective of the "winners".

the bold is disturbing. what kind of curriculum anywhere in America doesn't have people through history that happened to be black.
    Most people don't know who Frederick Douglass, Adam Clayton Powell, Bayard Rustin, Fred Jones (or many many others) are. If they were black and were not in sports or music they are largely completely unknown.

Curriculum that was originally designed to intentionally omit black history...

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Yep. **** like the 1776 Project that was designed to try and soothe white guilt about history after the NYT released their damning 1619 Project.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Let's just hope what he means is that teacher should teach all of history and do it accurately and not just from the perspective of the "winners".
    I don't know what you mean by winners, but those that are black and done "X" though history should be taught in the curriculum just as any one of any race.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Most people don't know who Frederick Douglass, Adam Clayton Powell, Bayard Rustin, Fred Jones (or many many others) are. If they were black and were not in sports or music they are largely completely unknown.
    that is why they should be taught about in school, but I don't think it should be just during the month of February.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I can't imagine any school's curriculum hasn't changed since way back at whatever point that was.

it doesn't need to be black history, or white history. why can't it just be, history.
    I can't imagine any teacher saying something like okay students today we will learn about white history, so why does it need to be specified that it's black history.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯