Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 452 of 632 FirstFirst ... 352402442450451452453454462502552 ... LastLast
Results 6,766 to 6,780 of 9467
  1. #6766
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,074
    I believe Canada has 3 primary parties....Conservatives (which are like our Republicans), Liberals, and the New Democratic party....oddly their Liberals are like our moderate Democrats while the New Democratic party is like our liberals
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  2. #6767
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,863
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    I am not all that familiar with Canadian politics, but I'd guess they don't have the equivalent of our Democratic party urging its constituents to riot in the name of peaceful protests.
    Their entire country is the Democratic Party in that having some of the views conservatives have makes you a crackpot. Try being a political running on abolishing universal healthcare in Canada, see how far youíll get.

  3. #6768
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,863
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    I was curious as to Canada's policing regarding deaths. Funny enough, they don't have a national database to keep track of it but here is one source that I found:

    https://criminallawoshawa.com/2020-l...ice-in-canada/

    Here is their own database:

    https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/fatalpoliceencounters/

    Here is a summary of black deaths by Canadian police officers.

    The database reveals that Black and Indigenous Canadians are disproportionately represented amongst those fatalities resulting from encounters with police compared to the overall population. Indigenous people account for 16% of the deaths, but only make up 4.21% of the population. Black Canadians who died after police used force account for 8.63% and only make up 2.92% of the population in Canada. So black people are 3x over -represented in terms of dying to Canadian police officers while in America, blacks are 14% of the population and are 2.2x over-represented. And this is only the info the public has gathered from news reports by Canada. There could be a lot more that are missing since they do not have a national database.

    Is Canada systematically racist? Blacks die at a higher rate by police officers in Canada than America.
    If you know the history of indigenous peoples in Canada, you wouldnít be asking that question.

    Also, as to whether people are protesting in Canada, the answer is yes:

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geor...ests_in_Canada

  4. #6769
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    If you know the history of indigenous peoples in Canada, you wouldnít be asking that question.

    Also, as to whether people are protesting in Canada, the answer is yes:

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geor...ests_in_Canada
    My post never said anything about Indigenous Canadians other than to copy and paste the full paragraph of the statistics regarding black deaths by police officers.

    I also never asked if there were protests in Canada. I know there are protests. I am asking if there are riots every time a black person dies to a police officer in Canada.

  5. #6770
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,863
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    My post never said anything about Indigenous Canadians other than to copy and paste the full paragraph of the statistics regarding black deaths by police officers.

    I also never asked if there were protests in Canada. I know there are protests. I am asking if there are riots every time a black person dies to a police officer in Canada.
    And I previously responded the reason there isnít is because in Canada, when a police officer engages in police brutality (such as the video slamming the person to the ground) they actually stand trial. Juxtapose that with the US where police kill people and routinely do not face trial.

    My point is: if police stood trial and were held accountable for brutality in the US, there wouldnít be riots

  6. #6771
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    12,910
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I believe Canada has 3 primary parties....Conservatives (which are like our Republicans), Liberals, and the New Democratic party....oddly their Liberals are like our moderate Democrats while the New Democratic party is like our liberals
    Our liberal government currently would be closer to the Bernie and AOC wing of the party while the conservatives would be some combination of moderate dem/Republican. In the last general election there was a far right party where the leader never won his seat and neither did any candidates in his party.

    The green party, coincidentally, has some policies that would trend towards moderate democrats.
    Last edited by Kenny Powders; 10-29-2020 at 06:26 PM.

  7. #6772
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    And I previously responded the reason there isnít is because in Canada, when a police officer engages in police brutality (such as the video slamming the person to the ground) they actually stand trial. Juxtapose that with the US where police kill people and routinely do not face trial.

    My point is: if police stood trial and were held accountable for brutality in the US, there wouldnít be riots
    There was a riot when a guy with a knife wouldn't drop it and police killed him. There have been plenty of riots in America with no evidence of police brutality rather, dumb or mentally ill people refusing to listen to police officers. I'm not going to pretend that I know if every police officer is investigated for killing a black person. But the statistics are there to show that black people are more likely to die by police officers in Canada. The riots in America, largely, have been unwarranted. And we all know the riots is an excuse for looters to have a shopping extravaganza. It's not even about black lives for them. As for standing trial, you can't find one person who disagrees with you on corrupt officers being put on trial. But we also can't claim police brutality when there is no evidence of such. And it seems America is heading into that territory: Black person dies = police brutality. You know, it's funny how black men die at over 20x the rate of black women. Why is that? If police were targeting black people in general, why is there such a disparity that is similar to that of white men vs white women dying?

  8. #6773
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,074
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    There was a riot when a guy with a knife wouldn't drop it and police killed him. There have been plenty of riots in America with no evidence of police brutality rather, dumb or mentally ill people refusing to listen to police officers. I'm not going to pretend that I know if every police officer is investigated for killing a black person. But the statistics are there to show that black people are more likely to die by police officers in Canada. The riots in America, largely, have been unwarranted. And we all know the riots is an excuse for looters to have a shopping extravaganza. It's not even about black lives for them. As for standing trial, you can't find one person who disagrees with you on corrupt officers being put on trial. But we also can't claim police brutality when there is no evidence of such. And it seems America is heading into that territory: Black person dies = police brutality. You know, it's funny how black men die at over 20x the rate of black women. Why is that? If police were targeting black people in general, why is there such a disparity that is similar to that of white men vs white women dying?
    Holy hell, are you suggesting that if a mentally ill person doesn't listen to police, it's justified to shoot them? Are you aware the man with a knife recently shot was having a mental crisis when they shot him? THESE are the cases many think could be BETTER de-escalated with someone trained in DEALING with mental issues on hand to PREVENT the need for officers to think they're justified to shoot.

    Riots have been unwarranted?! Am I remembering wrong, or didn't you say you were a POC? Regardless...unwarranted?

    Accountability may not eliminate riots, but it would certainly reduce the issues that RESULT in riots because of police brutality.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  9. #6774
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    18,864
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Holy hell, are you suggesting that if a mentally ill person doesn't listen to police, it's justified to shoot them? Are you aware the man with a knife recently shot was having a mental crisis when they shot him? THESE are the cases many think could be BETTER de-escalated with someone trained in DEALING with mental issues on hand to PREVENT the need for officers to think they're justified to shoot.

    Riots have been unwarranted?! Am I remembering wrong, or didn't you say you were a POC? Regardless...unwarranted?

    Accountability may not eliminate riots, but it would certainly reduce the issues that RESULT in riots because of police brutality.
    Come on man. That dude was obviously intent on stabbing someome. Mental condition or not, you don't let someone stab someone. You're solution would've just ended with a couple social workers stabbed. Brilliant.

    And yes. The riots are 100% unwarranted and are not accomplishing a thing other than making insurance prices skyrocket.

  10. #6775
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    10,191
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post

    I also never asked if there were protests in Canada. I know there are protests.
    Plausible deniability?

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post

    That **** was in Canada. Where are the protests in Canada... Where are the claims of police brutality and rioting?.

  11. #6776
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,863
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    There was a riot when a guy with a knife wouldn't drop it and police killed him. There have been plenty of riots in America with no evidence of police brutality rather, dumb or mentally ill people refusing to listen to police officers. I'm not going to pretend that I know if every police officer is investigated for killing a black person. But the statistics are there to show that black people are more likely to die by police officers in Canada. The riots in America, largely, have been unwarranted. And we all know the riots is an excuse for looters to have a shopping extravaganza. It's not even about black lives for them. As for standing trial, you can't find one person who disagrees with you on corrupt officers being put on trial. But we also can't claim police brutality when there is no evidence of such. And it seems America is heading into that territory: Black person dies = police brutality. You know, it's funny how black men die at over 20x the rate of black women. Why is that? If police were targeting black people in general, why is there such a disparity that is similar to that of white men vs white women dying?
    First Bolded: What do you expect mentally ill people to do, behave as you and me?

    Second Bolded: OK, but that has nothing to do with whether they are held accountable. If all the Canadian police who kill black people to go prison and none of the US police who kill black people do, then the US has a bigger problem.

    Third Bolded: Well this is factually untrue. There were a ton of people saying Breonna Taylor's killers shouldn't go on trial, the Kentucky AG felt that way in fact. So much so, he failed to tell the grand jury about self defense laws or even push for any charge of homicide, to the point where the Grand Jury members have said how he handled it was terrible.

    The bottom line is we have a problem in this country, and it's not new. the Rodney King riots were 1992. **** the Police came out in 1988. That is 30 years of complaining about the same behavior from police.

    If people have been complaining about the same problem with police for literally 30 years, it's because there is a problem with police.

  12. #6777
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    108,908
    I donít get why they used guns instead of a taser?

  13. #6778
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    18,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I donít get why they used guns instead of a taser?
    Because the police force only has enough funds to equip 30% of the officers with tazers. Ya know, defund the police and all.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

  14. #6779
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    63,112

    This is why they kneel

    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Because the police force only has enough funds to equip 30% of the officers with tazers. Ya know, defund the police and all.
    So I guess they had them until about 3 months ago? Btw I donít blame the cops in this instance. I donít know what to do about it. Regardless ďdefund the policeĒ isnít why they didnít have tazers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  15. #6780
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,863
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Because the police force only has enough funds to equip 30% of the officers with tazers. Ya know, defund the police and all.
    Or perhaps it's a matter of misplaced priorities since Police have plenty of money for all this badass tactical gear, camo, and tanks. That and the 30% tazer armament is true when we haven't even defunded the police yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •