Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 444 of 702 FirstFirst ... 344394434442443444445446454494544 ... LastLast
Results 6,646 to 6,660 of 10529
  1. #6646
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    No, it wasn't. It had been there for months before Bubba Wallace ever got there.
    Yes, everyone understands that. It was handled properly and investigated as necessary.

    Still odd that it was fashioned the way it was, at the very least by someone with a demented sense of humor and lack of a grasp on the current political climate.(imo)

    I understand we don't KNOW which is why no one will get in trouble for it. Its all speculation but what isn't reasonable is saying that bubba and his team did something wrong by reporting it.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  2. #6647
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,582
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Now if someone called that a butter knife would you say it's a combat knife or a butter knife fashioned to look like a combat knife (but not a combat knife)?
    I would call it a combat knife, because that's what it is.
    Chicago Cubs • Chicago Blackhawks • Buffalo Bills • Southern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique Kerber • Maria Sakkari • Leylah Fernandez • Jasmine Paolini

    Saul "Canelo" Alvarez • Bianca Belair

  3. #6648
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,582
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Yes, everyone understands that. It was handled properly and investigated as necessary.

    Still odd that it was fashioned the way it was, at the very least by someone with a demented sense of humor and lack of a grasp on the current political climate.(imo)

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Clearly they don't. lol
    Chicago Cubs • Chicago Blackhawks • Buffalo Bills • Southern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique Kerber • Maria Sakkari • Leylah Fernandez • Jasmine Paolini

    Saul "Canelo" Alvarez • Bianca Belair

  4. #6649
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,582
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Yes, everyone understands that. It was handled properly and investigated as necessary.

    Still odd that it was fashioned the way it was, at the very least by someone with a demented sense of humor and lack of a grasp on the current political climate.(imo)

    I understand we don't KNOW which is why no one will get in trouble for it. Its all speculation but what isn't reasonable is saying that bubba and his team did something wrong by reporting it.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Not really. Not everyone is going to make associations to things that might trigger others. It's a quality knot. Clearly whoever tied it knows what they are doing. To them a knot is probably just a knot.
    Chicago Cubs • Chicago Blackhawks • Buffalo Bills • Southern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique Kerber • Maria Sakkari • Leylah Fernandez • Jasmine Paolini

    Saul "Canelo" Alvarez • Bianca Belair

  5. #6650
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,508
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    well then there were a bunch of slaves hung unofficially
    Double reparations are in order.

  6. #6651
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,619
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    of course not, if we knew the why or the who the entire discussion would be different

    so here's a quick question back....for what other reason would someone tie such a knot? if it WAS tied to be functional, that would be worse yet, yes?
    it's the same question that was asked months ago regarding the NASCAR garage
    Your answer confirms my suspicion. You are making assumptions that fit your own preconceived notions regarding the presence of racism. My first thought would be that on a construction site, a noose tied like that had some type of function. My worst thought would be that it was teenagers playing some prank.

    But let’s assume you are right and this was tied by an unknown white supremacist to be a symbol/signal/warning. Who is it meant for? Random black construction workers? Why do we assume white supremacists are some passive aggressive idiots? From what I know of the KKK, they would burn crosses in black peoples front yards as a warning/symbol/signal not on some random patch of grass. Also, why do we assume something has racist intent? Why is our fallback the worst possible scenario ? That seems to me the bigger problem.

  7. #6652
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,582
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Your answer confirms my suspicion. You are making assumptions that fit your own preconceived notions regarding the presence of racism. My first thought would be that on a construction site, a noose tied like that had some type of function. My worst thought would be that it was teenagers playing some prank.

    But let’s assume you are right and this was tied by an unknown white supremacist to be a symbol/signal/warning. Who is it meant for? Random black construction workers? Why do we assume white supremacists are some passive aggressive idiots? From what I know of the KKK, they would burn crosses in black peoples front yards as a warning/symbol/signal not on some random patch of grass. Also, why do we assume something has racist intent? Why is our fallback the worst possible scenario ? That seems to me the bigger problem.
    People obsessed with racism are constantly looking to take the most insignificant things and try to spin them as racist, and then fail to understand how it hurts the cause that they are fighting for.
    Chicago Cubs • Chicago Blackhawks • Buffalo Bills • Southern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique Kerber • Maria Sakkari • Leylah Fernandez • Jasmine Paolini

    Saul "Canelo" Alvarez • Bianca Belair

  8. #6653
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    In reality, I wouldn't call it anything. I'd call it the rope on the garage door, because I don't make it a habit to walk around trying to identify everything as some kind of symbol of racism. For the sake of this conversation, I'd simply just refer to it as an overhand knot.
    It is not what is commonly known as an overhand knot:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=over...w=1536&bih=660


    Seems like you're wrong and just don't want to admit it.

  9. #6654
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I would call it a combat knife, because that's what it is.
    Much like how that knot is a noose. Because that's what it is.

  10. #6655
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,734
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    don't get me started on Cousins......had they stayed with Keenum they could have (and maybe would have) drafted Lamar Jackson that year....didn't make the playoffs anyway that year, Keenum coulda done that...

    Imagine that offense with Lamar, Diggs, Thielen, Cooks, etc.....

    ...not to mention still having the money to not lose guys like Everson and Linval, while maybe actually having a viable offensive line

    now they're stuck with Cousins at least thru next season......watching Sunday I texted my brother 'Tank for Trevor?' after 2 weeks ago thinking deep playoff run..
    Cousins is an obvious back up for life. Serviceable. When he took a knee instead of spiking in Washington it should have been a red flag.

    Agreed on Keenum.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #6656
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    People obsessed with racism are constantly looking to take the most insignificant things and try to spin them as racist, and then fail to understand how it hurts the cause that they are fighting for.
    And some people are so obsessed with denying racism exists they'll deny a noose is a noose.

    I'm not suggesting the noose was racist (the investigation proved at the very least it wasn't intended for Wallace). But it was a noose.

    Just because you don't believe it was racist doesn't mean you have to deny the obvious.

  12. #6657
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,582
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    It is not what is commonly known as an overhand knot:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=over...w=1536&bih=660


    Seems like you're wrong and just don't want to admit it.
    The overhand knot, also known as a a knot and half knot, is one of the most fundamental knots, and it forms the basis of many others, including the simple noose, overhand loop, angler's loop, reef knot, fisherman's knot, and water knot.

    So, we'll do this again. All nooses are overhand knots, not all overhand knots are nooses.

    You're wrong. Just suck it up and move on.
    Chicago Cubs • Chicago Blackhawks • Buffalo Bills • Southern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique Kerber • Maria Sakkari • Leylah Fernandez • Jasmine Paolini

    Saul "Canelo" Alvarez • Bianca Belair

  13. #6658
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    50,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    "Fashioned like a noose" doesn't mean it's a noose. Are these combat knives?

    Ehhhhh


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #6659
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,582
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    And some people are so obsessed with denying racism exists they'll deny a noose is a noose.

    I'm not suggesting the noose was racist (the investigation proved at the very least it wasn't intended for Wallace). But it was a noose.

    Just because you don't believe it was racist doesn't mean you have to deny the obvious.
    Racism absolutely exists, but it isn't everywhere like some of you people believe it is.
    Chicago Cubs • Chicago Blackhawks • Buffalo Bills • Southern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique Kerber • Maria Sakkari • Leylah Fernandez • Jasmine Paolini

    Saul "Canelo" Alvarez • Bianca Belair

  15. #6660
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22,582
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    And some people are so obsessed with denying racism exists they'll deny a noose is a noose.

    I'm not suggesting the noose was racist (the investigation proved at the very least it wasn't intended for Wallace). But it was a noose.

    Just because you don't believe it was racist doesn't mean you have to deny the obvious.


    This is what you're getting for Christmas! Are you happy now? It was gonna be a PlayStation 5!
    Chicago Cubs • Chicago Blackhawks • Buffalo Bills • Southern Illinois University Salukis

    Angelique Kerber • Maria Sakkari • Leylah Fernandez • Jasmine Paolini

    Saul "Canelo" Alvarez • Bianca Belair

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •