Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 398 of 709 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408448498 ... LastLast
Results 5,956 to 5,970 of 10632
  1. #5956
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,911
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    No because the cut in taxes would not impact the cash flow quick enough to offset that type of change in a small business.
    What if the $15 minimum wage didnít go into effect until after the tax cuts effect the businesses? Like say give the businesses the tax cut a year early.

  2. #5957
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,836
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    No, we don't agree on that. Your comparison was patently ridiculous regardless. At least you've finally admitted that your issue isn't actually that people wanting a higher federal minimum wage are being "too vague".
    So you think small businesses could handle not only doubling the wage for minimum wage employees but also give conditional raises to other employees as well? I personally know or have worked with/for many small business owners who would disagree with you and thatís not because of their greed. Itís because their company wouldnít survive.

    I stated early on that protestors asked for $15 an hr minimum wage. Politicians who support these protestors typically use the term livable wage but wonít really define what that term includes.

  3. #5958
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    65,694
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    They can hide their feelings in not calling every black persons the n-word but working in that type of political or corporate environment, an individual needs to respect their coworkers and especially individuals at a higher level then them. I donít not see how a racist person could do this consistently. As you even said, eventually their feelings would come to be known. So they are either extremely good at hiding their feelings or eventually they get outed and typically lose their success, which is my point.
    Your point is absurd.

  4. #5959
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,911
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    They can hide their feelings in not calling every black persons the n-word but working in that type of political or corporate environment, an individual needs to respect their coworkers and especially individuals at a higher level then them. I donít not see how a racist person could do this consistently. As you even said, eventually their feelings would come to be known. So they are either extremely good at hiding their feelings or eventually they get outed and typically lose their success, which is my point.
    Well yeah, Donald Sterling was forced to sell his team... but only after he gained tremendous success despite being racist. If Stephen Miller gets fired tomorrow because heís a racist, it doesnít change he was able to rise to that level of success despite being racist in the first place.

    You did not happen to comment on how so many people get caught on social media doing racist tirades if itís impossible to work with or even for minorities. Do you think everyone who is caught in a racist tirade only worked for white people?

    Mel Gibsonís anti-Semitic tirade came after working for Jewish producers and studio heads for 20 years. Michael Richards racist tirade came after performing next to many black actors (such as Jackie Childís). How do you explain how they were able to work next to minorities despite espousing racist views?

  5. #5960
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,836
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What if the $15 minimum wage didnít go into effect until after the tax cuts effect the businesses? Like say give the businesses the tax cut a year early.
    For many small businesses, cash flow is week to week. I also donít believe enough of a tax break exists to offset this type of raise in wages.

  6. #5961
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    65,694
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    So you think small businesses could handle not only doubling the wage for minimum wage employees but also give conditional raises to other employees as well? I personally know or have worked with/for many small business owners who would disagree with you and thatís not because of their greed. Itís because their company wouldnít survive.

    I stated early on that protestors asked for $15 an hr minimum wage. Politicians who support these protestors typically use the term livable wage but wonít really define what that term includes.
    I know for a fact small business could survive just fine in the area I live, hence why I disagree with your statement that "small businesses would cease to exist". Obviously, many in other states would be negatively impacted but again: I mentioned $15/hr as a starting point and/or ceiling.

  7. #5962
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,911
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    For many small businesses, cash flow is week to week. I also donít believe enough of a tax break exists to offset this type of raise in wages.
    Do you think we should even have a minimum wage at all?

  8. #5963
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,836
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Well yeah, Donald Sterling was forced to sell his team... but only after he gained tremendous success despite being racist. If Stephen Miller gets fired tomorrow because heís a racist, it doesnít change he was able to rise to that level of success despite being racist in the first place.

    You did not happen to comment on how so many people get caught on social media doing racist tirades if itís impossible to work with or even for minorities. Do you think everyone who is caught in a racist tirade only worked for white people?

    Mel Gibsonís anti-Semitic tirade came after working for Jewish producers and studio heads for 20 years. Michael Richards racist tirade came after performing next to many black actors (such as Jackie Childís). How do you explain how they were able to work next to minorities despite espousing racist views?
    If people are willing to hide their views and work with minorities, I would argue they arenít really racists despite one or two indiscretions. Being a real racist is like being really religious. You believe in something despite evidence to the contrary.

    Would a really religious person have an abortion even if they couldnít afford a baby? I would say itís about their needs and in some cases, their needs outweigh their religiousness. The same is true of racists. Sometimes their need or desire for success outweighs their need to be racist.

  9. #5964
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,836
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I know for a fact small business could survive just fine in the area I live, hence why I disagree with your statement that "small businesses would cease to exist". Obviously, many in other states would be negatively impacted but again: I mentioned $15/hr as a starting point and/or ceiling.
    You must live among the wealthy then....

  10. #5965
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,836
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Do you think we should even have a minimum wage at all?
    Personally, no. I think it only lowers wages. Although with our current requirement on college level education, I see the need for it.

  11. #5966
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    65,694
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    If people are willing to hide their views and work with minorities, I would argue they arenít really racists despite one or two indiscretions. Being a real racist is like being really religious. You believe in something despite evidence to the contrary.

    Would a really religious person have an abortion even if they couldnít afford a baby? I would say itís about their needs and in some cases, their needs outweigh their religiousness. The same is true of racists. Sometimes their need or desire for success outweighs their need to be racist.
    You are really stretching to defend that ridiculous statement you made.

  12. #5967
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    68,653

    This is why they kneel

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Personally, no. I think it only lowers wages. Although with our current requirement on college level education, I see the need for it.

    this guy complains that others are not practical

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 09-13-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  13. #5968
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    65,694
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    You must live among the wealthy then....
    I live among the really wealthy, the really poor, and all people in between those two extremes. Either way about it, your point has been negated. Small businesses wouldn't entirely cease to exist if a $15/hr federal minimum wage was introduced (and again, that figure is merely a starting point).

  14. #5969
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,836
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    You are really stretching to defend that ridiculous statement you made.
    How is it stretching? Racism is like a religion. Itís pure belief in something despite evidence to the contrary. I can see at some point in history when people could get away with this belief. But not in this century for sure.

    Do you think a racist would allow a non white doctor to operate on them to save their lives? Their kids lives? I do not believe a real racist would entertain this idea because they would consider a non white doctor to be of lesser capabilities and intelligence than a white doctor. Similarly, thereís religious knuckleheads who would pray so god can save their childís life rather than a doctor.

  15. #5970
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,836
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I live among the really wealthy, the really poor, and all people in between those two extremes. Either way about it, your point has been negated. Small businesses wouldn't entirely cease to exist if a $15/hr federal minimum wage was introduced (and again, that figure is merely a starting point).
    As I said, I know small business owners and very worked with/for small businesses all over the country and most could not sustain a $15 an hr minimum wage. They would also need to give non minimum wage workers A huge increase in wages.

    I havenít even brought up this point, but do you think large corporations would hire as many minimum wage employees at $15 an hr or would they enforce technological advances to replace them? My money is on the latter. FFS we all currently work for Walmart anytime we walk in that store now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •