Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 395 of 635 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445495 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,925 of 9519
  1. #5911
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45,672
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    You are insane
    And willfully ignorant. He keeps repeating that Liberals are vague in what they want but they've been abundantly clear they want a $15 minimum wage. It's more of his paranoia that if he compromises or agrees with a Liberal he'll become one.

  2. #5912
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,262
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    You keep saying this and it isn't true. They are very clearly asking for a $15 minimum wage. You can take exception to that number, but you cannot argue they have not been specific in their demand, especially because you (and Republicans in general) have not given a concrete amount themselves.

    It is especially galling you accuse liberals of only being able to speak in vague terms when your entire argument here has been against some vague "they".
    You yourself said $15 is too high. $15 would kill many small businesses. Why not $20? $25? Of course there’s a limit to it and $15 isn’t close to doable. In negotiating, there is amount the opposing side shouldn’t even consider. Everyone knows a car salesman will negotiate. But if the dealer is asking $25,000 and I counter with $1. Will they entertain that offer? Of course not. This is extremely similar.

    Politicians gain support/power by being exactly supportive of individuals who are angry. Anything less is considered against them. This use to be true of the religious right. For years, conservative politicians played on this. Being against gay rights and against abortion. Now liberal politicians use racism and the wage gap as their calling cards. It’s not difficult.

  3. #5913
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    No one who is successful is racist?
    Lol, the president of the US is a racist, I'd say that pretty much tops the successful chart.

  4. #5914
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45,672
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    What? You most certainly can. You can educate people. You can teach empathy and compassion.
    Even if you only believe in individual racism and not systemic racism, there's a black guy that has been going to KKK rallies and getting people to disavow them and their racist ways.

    He's wrong on every level. He just doesn't want to combat racism.

  5. #5915
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45,672
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    You yourself said $15 is too high. $15 would kill many small businesses. Why not $20? $25? Of course there’s a limit to it and $15 isn’t close to doable. In negotiating, there is amount the opposing side shouldn’t even consider. Everyone knows a car salesman will negotiate. But if the dealer is asking $25,000 and I counter with $1. Will they entertain that offer? Of course not. This is extremely similar.

    Politicians gain support/power by being exactly supportive of individuals who are angry. Anything less is considered against them. This use to be true of the religious right. For years, conservative politicians played on this. Being against gay rights and against abortion. Now liberal politicians use racism and the wage gap as their calling cards. It’s not difficult.
    I did, but you accused them of being vague in their desires. They are not being vague. They want $15. You can disagree, but you can't claim they're being vague.

  6. #5916
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    You yourself said $15 is too high. $15 would kill many small businesses. Why not $20? $25? Of course there’s a limit to it and $15 isn’t close to doable. In negotiating, there is amount the opposing side shouldn’t even consider. Everyone knows a car salesman will negotiate. But if the dealer is asking $25,000 and I counter with $1. Will they entertain that offer? Of course not. This is extremely similar.

    Politicians gain support/power by being exactly supportive of individuals who are angry. Anything less is considered against them. This use to be true of the religious right. For years, conservative politicians played on this. Being against gay rights and against abortion. Now liberal politicians use racism and the wage gap as their calling cards. It’s not difficult.
    Here's a question for you (since we went through the same thing here a few years ago, and made the change by raising min wage to $14).

    Do you really want to support a business whose model relies on keeping it's employees in poverty?

  7. #5917
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,262
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    That's because living wage varies from place to place. What they should do, is do like Canada does where it's up to the provincial gov instead of the feds. Living wage in Ontario is much higher than New Brunswick. It's really not complicated. Or you can even have the federal government make it for each region and have different amounts for each. And that information is actually very easy to find.
    But define what “livable” means? Does that include cell phone plan? Internet? Cable tv? Car payment? Auto insurance? For most it defines much more than it use to...

  8. #5918
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Even if you only believe in individual racism and not systemic racism, there's a black guy that has been going to KKK rallies and getting people to disavow them and their racist ways.

    He's wrong on every level. He just doesn't want to combat racism.
    Oh I agree. I think we've all noticed a change on some levels in the past 20-30 years already.

  9. #5919
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,262
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Here's a question for you (since we went through the same thing here a few years ago, and made the change by raising min wage to $14).

    Do you really want to support a business whose model relies on keeping it's employees in poverty?
    Companies should be able to set their wages at whatever they want. If their wages are keeping their employees in poverty, people shouldn’t work for them. Working for a company is a choice. It’s not mandatory.

  10. #5920
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45,672
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    But define what “livable” means? Does that include cell phone plan? Internet? Cable tv? Car payment? Auto insurance? For most it defines much more than it use to...
    Even if it didn't include any of those things, do you think $7.25 an hour is a livable wage for just food, transportation, clothing, groceries, etc.?

  11. #5921
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45,672
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Companies should be able to set their wages at whatever they want. If their wages are keeping their employees in poverty, people shouldn’t work for them. Working for a company is a choice. It’s not mandatory.
    So would it be fair to say that not only are you against raising the minimum wage, you want to abolish it?

  12. #5922
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,262
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I did, but you accused them of being vague in their desires. They are not being vague. They want $15. You can disagree, but you can't claim they're being vague.
    Protestors aren’t being vague. They are being unrealistic. Politicians who support them are vague.

  13. #5923
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,262
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    No one who is successful is racist?
    No. Not in this century. It’s impossible.

  14. #5924
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    But define what “livable” means? Does that include cell phone plan? Internet? Cable tv? Car payment? Auto insurance? For most it defines much more than it use to...
    Besides cable TV which is not an essential for people to have today? I mean sure if you are living in a major metropolitan area you might not need a car... but then your rent is way higher. Auto insurance is mandatory most places now... and should be. Cell phone and the internet? Do you not think these are the bare minimum today?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  15. #5925
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    But define what “livable” means? Does that include cell phone plan? Internet? Cable tv? Car payment? Auto insurance? For most it defines much more than it use to...
    Again, it varies from place to place. In my province, the list is easily accessible.

    Food, clothing, shelter, child care, transportation, medical expenses, recreation and a modest vacation.

    It does not include home ownership, retirement savings, debt repayment, savings for a child's education, "anything other than the smallest cushion for emergencies"

    https://www.ontariolivingwage.ca/wha...he_living_wage

    No home phone, no cell phone, no cable tv, etc. Those are not necessities of life.

    Just because you don't know what the definition means and think it's vague, doesn't mean that it is, it just means you haven't educated yourself about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •