Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 374 of 632 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384424474 ... LastLast
Results 5,596 to 5,610 of 9468
  1. #5596
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,088
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    You are sort of making my point for me. If USPS is not going to be profitable, why does its union members believe their salaries, benefits and pensions should be in line with private corporations who are profitable?

    You essentially have members who believe they are worth X. While the USPS only earns Y and Y is less than X. This is the problem with public sector unions.

    How about this, why don’t you all give me an example of a public sector union without any issues. We know the issues with police. We know the issues with education. And the issues with the USPS.

    I need an example in which a public sector union is better for the community as should be the purpose of civil servants.
    wait, so people who work for non-profits or, in this case, not-for-profit government....don't deserve to earn the same wage as those in for-profit businesses....because the organization they work for isn't concerned about profit?

    And a reason for unions in those cases is because, in the private sector I can go to my boss and stump for a raise and he either can or has access to someone who can make that happen. That's not true at the post office, most things are regulated by people who I'll never have direct contact with and performance based raises are nearly non-existent.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  2. #5597
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,589
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    I did it frequently until a few years ago.
    If you were a volunteer fireman then thank you for your service since volunteers have protected me and my family for many years.

    But if you really did volunteer then why would you doubt the ability of volunteers to get the job done?

  3. #5598
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    You are sort of making my point for me. If USPS is not going to be profitable, why does its union members believe their salaries, benefits and pensions should be in line with private corporations who are profitable?

    You essentially have members who believe they are worth X. While the USPS only earns Y and Y is less than X. This is the problem with public sector unions.

    How about this, why don’t you all give me an example of a public sector union without any issues. We know the issues with police. We know the issues with education. And the issues with the USPS.

    I need an example in which a public sector union is better for the community as should be the purpose of civil servants.
    Because that's not their ****ing point. There are many things provided by the government that aren't intended to make a profit? Should scientists at the CDC and NIH make less than the ones that work for Pfiser? And if so... damn that's just shoot yourself in the foot dumb.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  4. #5599
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    BS


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah.. he broke out the always... which certainly makes it hyperbole at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  5. #5600
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you were a volunteer fireman then thank you for your service since volunteers have protected me and my family for many years.

    But if you really did volunteer then why would you doubt the ability of volunteers to get the job done?
    You've never volunteered for something you might have thought a professional who is paid to do something might do better? I mean I know CPR, but I would rather a professional attempt CPR on my loved ones than me.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  6. #5601
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Exactly. Civil servants should not need to have the power to negotiate collectively. They serve the community.

    You trust volunteer firefighters to save your life if need be. Why wouldn’t you trust them to deliver a piece of mail?
    Because there are not enough volunteers to run the mail service. Duh!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  7. #5602
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you were a volunteer fireman then thank you for your service since volunteers have protected me and my family for many years.

    But if you really did volunteer then why would you doubt the ability of volunteers to get the job done?
    for one, mail is 6 days a week....an area that doesn't need paid fireman relies on volunteers because they work as needed, not 6 days a week

    besides, a volunteer firefighter is wanting to be sure their family and neighborhood is cared for.....I don't much care if my neighbor's ED pills or utility bills get to him
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  8. #5603
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,589
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    You've never volunteered for something you might have thought a professional who is paid to do something might do better? I mean I know CPR, but I would rather a professional attempt CPR on my loved ones than me.
    I have, but if he was a volunteer fireman why would he inherently distrust a volunteer mail delivery person? Was he worthy of distrust himself?

  9. #5604
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,589
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Because there are not enough volunteers to run the mail service. Duh!
    So they tried to go with volunteers and couldn't get enough? Or are you speculating?

  10. #5605
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you were a volunteer fireman then thank you for your service since volunteers have protected me and my family for many years.

    But if you really did volunteer then why would you doubt the ability of volunteers to get the job done?
    Yeah, I was for 6-7 years. I had a kid that was slow that worked for me and wanted to be a fireman but was nervous to join the department, so I joined with him.

    Two things. First, volunteer fireman, at least all that I know, get paid. It's not a lot, and you might get in 20 hours a month(we got paid by call). We also worked in tandem with guys that were professionals. Secondly, I have no doubt that volunteers could do it(postal work), I have real concerns that volunteers would be willing to work 40+hours a week for little to nothing or that you he able to find volunteers in every part of the country they'd be needed.

    That gets us to the last point I'll make which is settle down hippy, peace, love and community service doesnt put food on anyone's tables. This is one of the oddest conversations I've seen here in a while.

  11. #5606
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I have, but if he was a volunteer fireman why would he inherently distrust a volunteer mail delivery person? Was he worthy of distrust himself?
    Nothing to do with trust, far more to do with the pie in the sky idea that we are going to start replacing basic services in this country with volunteers. Who's gonna sign up to mow ditches in August?

  12. #5607
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    So they tried to go with volunteers and couldn't get enough? Or are you speculating?
    There are not enough paid employees to make it work everywhere... so yes I'm speculating... but It's not like I am pontificating the meaning of life. If you need the experiment to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  13. #5608
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Nothing to do with trust, far more to do with the pie in the sky idea that we are going to start replacing basic services in this country with volunteers. Who's gonna sign up to mow ditches in August?
    And by the logic of some in this thread.... Why would anyone do anything that wasn't self serving. Profit = value...
    Last edited by flips333; 09-04-2020 at 03:40 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  14. #5609
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I have, but if he was a volunteer fireman why would he inherently distrust a volunteer mail delivery person? Was he worthy of distrust himself?


    Distrust is not equal to a professional would be better. I'm not like following volunteers around the wall mart because I think they are going to steal something. But who the **** wouldn't rather have a professional doing important things than a volunteer. I don't see how I want a professional = I distrust volunteers.. Who do you trust more to hit a basketball shot.. the best professional guy or the best amateur guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  15. #5610
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,088
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Nothing to do with trust, far more to do with the pie in the sky idea that we are going to start replacing basic services in this country with volunteers. Who's gonna sign up to mow ditches in August?
    I can't do August ('cause it's over!) but I could be willing to split October with somebody
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •