Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 274 of 638 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324374 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 9566
    We don't believe in democracy the way we supress voting. But Capitalism in it's extreme, oh heck yeah.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    So be it.

Just confusing to me and maybe others — and irksome even — when the US is occasionally referred to as “Christian” country.
    FWIW, over 70% of the US population identifies as Christian...which often just means they were exposed to it at some point in their lives, not necessarily that they're active in the church. About 25% out of that 70% identifies as Catholic. Compare that 70+% in the US to around 31% worldwide and you can at least understand the comment.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    We don't believe in democracy the way we supress voting. But Capitalism in it's extreme, oh heck yeah.
    That's a very significant problem in the US.
    Capitalism = good
    What we have has gone well past capitalism and into pure greed

We have too few people with too much money and that multi-generational wealth gives them far too much power. We blame elected officials, and we should, but they're also heavily influenced by those with the real power....and how do you stop that.

There's a reason my family has heard me for years 'joke' that I just wanna find a small island somewhere, close enough to get WiFi, and leave me the hell alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    FWIW, over 70% of the US population identifies as Christian...which often just means they were exposed to it at some point in their lives, not necessarily that they're active in the church. About 25% out of that 70% identifies as Catholic. Compare that 70+% in the US to around 31% worldwide and you can at least understand the comment.
    I can understand it, but I don’t buy it.

The United States of America is a limited democratic republic, established by a constitution, enforced by rule of law, and serviced by a regulated capitalist economy — all with a predelection for sticking its nose into other country’s affairs.

Now, that’s a national “religion” I can buy, even if I don’t like it at times.

That's a very significant problem in the US.
    Capitalism = good
    What we have has gone well past capitalism and into pure greed

We have too few people with too much money and that multi-generational wealth gives them far too much power. We blame elected officials, and we should, but they're also heavily influenced by those with the real power....and how do you stop that.

There's a reason my family has heard me for years 'joke' that I just wanna find a small island somewhere, close enough to get WiFi, and leave me the hell alone.
    Ha, Ha. Same here bro, watching these Alaska reality show is making me wish I had ran to the wilderness when I was in my twenties. Far from the maddening crowd and bs.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I can understand it, but I don’t buy it.

The United States of America is a limited democratic republic, established by a constitution, enforced by rule of law, and serviced by a regulated capitalist economy — all with a predelection for sticking its nose into other country’s affairs.

Now, that’s a national “religion” I can buy, even if I don’t like it at times.
    Many identifying as a Christian often don't act like one, that's a problem. Far too many think they can do what they want 6 days a week but if they go to church on Sunday, they're good.......they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Ha, Ha. Same here bro, watching these Alaska reality show is making me wish I had ran to the wilderness when I was in my twenties. Far from the maddening crowd and bs.
    sometime during lockdown binge watching I came across a show where people were buying and building a house on islands in, I think, Hudson Bay......and I was drooling....I mean I could really give two ***** about having anything remotely like a mansion, but having my own island, grow some of my own food, take a monthly boat ride for supplies...now that I would enjoy

Many identifying as a Christian often don't act like one, that's a problem. Far too many think they can do what they want 6 days a week but if they go to church on Sunday, they're good.......they're not.
    Going to church isn't about salvation for 99% of people. It's about being seen doing what is deemed to be the right thing by their peers.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Going to church isn't about salvation for 99% of people. It's about being seen doing what is deemed to be the right thing by their peers.
    Going to church os also very comforting to many. It was, at one time, for me also and I wish I could get back to that point again but I don't think that is going to happen.

Devout and even semi-devout Christians seem to be happier people at peace within themselves. I envy some of them.

I don’t know about that. I am sure some do of course, but I think I’m more with Sluggo on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Going to church is also very comforting to many...Devout and even semi-devout Christians seem to be happier people at peace within themselves. I envy some of them.
    Unlike Sluggo, though, I never had it, so I don’t know what I am missing (probably sucks more to have had it and lost it).

Oh well, back to politics.

Going to church os also very comforting to many. It was, at one time, for me also and I wish I could get back to that point again but I don't think that is going to happen.

Devout and even semi-devout Christians seem to be happier people at peace within themselves. I envy some of them.
    There's always times and ways to go back. My walk has certainly been stronger in other phases of my life, but it's also been weaker.

While there are most definitely people going to church for the wrong reasons, you're traveling in some really wrong circles if you think it's anywhere near 99%. I can guarantee, for example, that the vast majority of blacks in Baptists churches on Sundays down south don't fall into that category. There are also some huge Christian music festivals where tens of thousands of mostly younger people go every year.

And yes, there is a peace about life as a Christian.....well, being in such a rural environment helps, too.

But that small exposure often imbeds basic Christian principles. The may have become agnostic as to the existence of God or belief the Jesus was God but they do maintain the sense of caring, charitableness, fair play, family etc.

Frankly, a little religion never really hurt anyone.

The worst lies are those that we tell ourselves. This is almost always a lie that people tell themselves. Often the more outwardly pious someone is the more likely they are to be the first to gossip about "X wasn't at church today" or "did you see who Y was sitting with at church". They are there to gossip and take mental notes on who isn't doing what they should be rather than examining their own life.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

The worst lies are those that we tell ourselves. This is almost always a lie that people tell themselves. Often the more outwardly pious someone is the more likely they are to be the first to gossip about "X wasn't at church today" or "did you see who Y was sitting with at church". They are there to gossip and take mental notes on who isn't doing what they should be rather than examining their own life.
    Again, there are people in church on Sundays for the wrong reasons, or not all the right ones. I used to say there are Christians and non-Christians at every church service. Going to church doesn't make one a Christian, and that's a sad truth some will learn the hard way.

I would agree, though, that often people who are more in your face or 'I'm better than you because' in what they say and do...are not the Christians they'd like to think they are. I've impacted more people over the years without even knowing I was doing it than I have directly trying to (well other than my singing and testimony in concerts)

....but that's not nearly as high a percentage of people as you apparently would like to think

I've always gotten the opposite impression, growing up Catholic and attending Southern Baptist Schools in the south. Especially the latter group, some of the most miserable and hateful people I've ever encountered in my life, I would never send my children to a school with any kind of religious affiliation as a result.

I still attend mass a few times a year for my grandfather. He is 97 and needs someone to take him to Italian language Mass thats offered once a month. My experience there has ranged from useless to outwardly offensive.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>