Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 236 of 305 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 4561
  1. #3526
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Blacks have a legitimate reason to fear cops unrelsted to their own doings



    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    My daughter has legitimate reason to fear the bogeyman too...

  2. #3527
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Why not live in a police state? Why not more surveillance by authorities? Why not let them search your vehicle or house when they want? If you commit no crime then what should you have to worry about?
    I think thereís a fine line between simply complying with law enforcement and resisting arrest.

  3. #3528
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,714
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    My daughter has legitimate reason to fear the bogeyman too...
    The boogeyman shot your daughter?

  4. #3529
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,606
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    My daughter has legitimate reason to fear the bogeyman too...
    Yep her Dad is a racist


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  5. #3530
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    12,469
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Born, raised, and still living in rural nowhere, so any inference there would fall on myself as well. Grew up in the church, three days a week. I also didnt intend to infer that you were less educated, what I meant to say that the subject is incredibly complex and I wasn't going to be able to have a real conversation about it off the cuff(though after re-reading the post, I see how you could have taken it that way).

    There is really no reason that a person who has a real interest would believe that jesus wasnt middle eastern, I think you'd agree with that. White jesus is a fundamental pillar that the ideals of supremecy are built on. Regardless of how that image began, in this country the idea of a white jesus has always been linked to the idea that whites are superior. Not in some benign way, there are letters and speeches from supremecists throughout our history that specifically mention the need to maintain that jesus was white. The reasons being the implied answers to the questions I asked a few posts back. Those ideas, framed far more politely, were prevalent in my rural upbringing(which is where rural nowhere comes in). We need to stop entertaining those ideas, and we need to shed light on their origins in this country.

    It brings me back to the land o'lakes conversation the other day. Having an indian on the packaging doesnt offend me at all, but it doesnt have to. Should it offend me that it offends someone else though? I dont think that you are a racist by any means, but why give lip service to that cause. So what if someone is offended, and a company wants to change its logo to not offend their customers. What tie do any of us have to having our syrup out of a regular bottle versus one that is a caricature of a black woman? Dont get me wrong, I get as sick of the PC nonsense as anyone else. I have two daughters in college, I dont give a damn about their friends' pronouns. I just feel like this stuff is different and we cant keep playing these things off in conversation or letting this stuff pass. We have to work our way back to the root of these issues.

    Anyway, I think you are a bright, conservative, catholic guy, I enjoy the fleeting conversations we've been having as we pass. No offense was intended.
    the 'rural nowhere' thing just seemed aimed at me...my apologies, text conversations are tough sometimes and being from a place like SD I've gotten that all my life...the assumption we're backwards, that kinda thing....so my running joke for years has been we're not backwards, our outhouses have WiFi now

    Not Catholic btw, grew up Lutheran but, like the party system where if asked I say I'm registered Republican but don't toe the party line, I'm Lutheran but more evangelical than most. Back when I sang in my gospel quartet the 4 of us were all from different denominations and we sang for basically every denomination you could name and some you've never heard of.

    In all my years, however, I've never had anyone suggest that Jesus is put out there as white because supremecists wanted it that way. I've always viewed him as middle eastern in my mind, even when many depictions do show him more white than the ones I'm used to. I just never really thought about it; he lived amongst Israelis and likely looked like one of them. One point I made, however, was that should God want to change that, Mary's genetics would be irrelevant. There are Biblical references that would infer he wasn't of dark skin, but it doesn't matter.

    Having moved back to South Dakota to help my aging parents years ago, after growing up here, a lot of my years have been spent around few blacks, but quite a few natives. I know, for example, that most would laugh at the silliness of removing the Land o' Lakes gal....just like many were annoyed when the NCAA made the U of North Dakota drop their Fighting Sioux mascot. These days too many view using these symbols as automatically negative and sometimes the people fighting that fight aren't even the ones who'd have reason to be offended.

    I meant no offense either. If I did, my apologies.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  6. #3531
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,606
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Well Jesus would be half Mary, so unless you also think Mary was white the most white Jesus could be is 50%...
    Godís got powerful genes dude


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  7. #3532
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,819
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=984825975282313&_rdr

    Officer grabs a black man from behind and slams him to the ground, possibly breaking a rib, thinking he had an open warrant for his arrest, only to discover he wasnít actually the guy with the open warrant.

    The entire interaction started because the initial police officer claimed he was engaging in suspicious behavior because he was standing outside a Walgreens. At no point did they ever specify any crime he committed.

    At the end of the video, seeing the defeat on the black manís face, the realization that he was just slammed into the ground for no reason, is terrible.

    Are these more of the good guys?
    Well, the initial responding officer whose body camera we are watching didnít really do anything wrong. He was just investigating suspicious activity.

    The one officer who slammed the subject was probably excessive but the others really didnít do anything wrong.

    What came of this? Is it recent?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Are more of the good children in blue going to walk off the job to defend these upstanding officers? Probably
    Well it depends what the outcome of this situation was. If anybody other than the one officer who performed the body slam got in trouble than I could see why it would cause other officers to walk out.

    And in regards to that whole situation in Atlanta. I Personally probably wouldnít walk off of the job but I can completely understand why all of those guys did.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    They better question is, why arrest someone that has committed no crime?
    Just speaking from personal experience I have handcuffed and detained numerous people who didnít commit any crime. Iíve mostly done it for my own personal safety.

  8. #3533
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    The boogeyman shot your daughter?
    No but Iíd say itís the opposite. My post was meant as sarcastic.

    Statistically speaking, black people are far more likely to die or be murdered in other ways than being shot and killed by law enforcement. In society, we tend to put emphasis on certain events and therefore people develop a misguided fear of said events.

    My mom was afraid to fly. She never flew her entire life. Her reasoning was ďif itís someone elseís turn to die on the plane, why should I go with them?Ē Was her fear legitimate?

  9. #3534
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Yep her Dad is a racist


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totes...

  10. #3535
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    17,293
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Well it depends what the outcome of this situation was. If anybody other than the one officer who performed the body slam got in trouble than I could see why it would cause other officers to walk out.

    And in regards to that whole situation in Atlanta. I Personally probably wouldnít walk off of the job but I can completely understand why all of those guys did.
    You are ok with other cops being totally fine with the actions of the body slammer? You wouldnt reprimand him on the spot?


    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Just speaking from personal experience I have handcuffed and detained numerous people who didnít commit any crime. Iíve mostly done it for my own personal safety.
    Why did you approach these people to begin with? If they did nothing wrong.

    And how is a citizen supposed to protect themselves when they fear for their own personal safety around cops?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

  11. #3536
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    92,976
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Why resist arrest if youíve committed no crime? Iíve been stopped/questioned/detained several times in my early life and I never once thought ďthe best way to prove my innocence is wrestling with several cops.Ē

    Also do you have numbers to verify this claim or is this just SJW powers activated type stuff?
    Gee why donít them black folks trust the cops to do the right thing and just cooperate?

    Oh right because so many cops treat being black as probable cause...


  12. #3537
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,714
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    the 'rural nowhere' thing just seemed aimed at me...my apologies, text conversations are tough sometimes and being from a place like SD I've gotten that all my life...the assumption we're backwards, that kinda thing....so my running joke for years has been we're not backwards, our outhouses have WiFi now

    Not Catholic btw, grew up Lutheran but, like the party system where if asked I say I'm registered Republican but don't toe the party line, I'm Lutheran but more evangelical than most. Back when I sang in my gospel quartet the 4 of us were all from different denominations and we sang for basically every denomination you could name and some you've never heard of.

    In all my years, however, I've never had anyone suggest that Jesus is put out there as white because supremecists wanted it that way. I've always viewed him as middle eastern in my mind, even when many depictions do show him more white than the ones I'm used to. I just never really thought about it; he lived amongst Israelis and likely looked like one of them. One point I made, however, was that should God want to change that, Mary's genetics would be irrelevant. There are Biblical references that would infer he wasn't of dark skin, but it doesn't matter.

    Having moved back to South Dakota to help my aging parents years ago, after growing up here, a lot of my years have been spent around few blacks, but quite a few natives. I know, for example, that most would laugh at the silliness of removing the Land o' Lakes gal....just like many were annoyed when the NCAA made the U of North Dakota drop their Fighting Sioux mascot. These days too many view using these symbols as automatically negative and sometimes the people fighting that fight aren't even the ones who'd have reason to be offended.

    I meant no offense either. If I did, my apologies.
    Yeah, I'm in NW illinois, 18 miles from a stoplight. I definitely know what you are saying about the assumption that we are backwards.

    Yeah, white jesus was the moral authority for racism. Now, did the idea of a european jesus begin with what we know as supremacism? Likely not. That was ethnocentrism and a dash of western supremacy. I'd disagree on the biblical inferences(though I'm familiar with what you are referring to), mostly because of the things that arent inferred. We know quite a bit(well, ....not opening that can of worms,lol) from the texts that point to him being an ordinary man of his era as you said yourself. Certainly fits the story better, but his exact skin tone is six of one and half dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned.

    I know that many natives dont get too excited over those things, but some do. My cousins wife is native and her family bickers about mascots all the time. My high school had(still does) an indian mascot. When I graduated I couldn't have told you a single thing about who that was supposed to represent or even what tribe it was meant to represent(Sioux tribe, name of the town. Lol). Mexican friend that went to school there calls the mascot the Mayan in the sitting bull headdress, it offends him. So, i have no history, it doesnt represent me, no one in town cares to know anything about it, we have no indians here, but people act like it's part of their heritage when people talk about changing the mascot. It genuinely makes a student who attends the school feel like an other, or a caricature, or worth less. Why would I give a second thought to holding on to that? I know the feelings where you are at are a little different. There's actually a community there, here it's a little different. Less of an honor, and more a victory celebration.

  13. #3538
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,819
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    You are ok with other cops being totally fine with the actions of the body slammer? You wouldnt reprimand him on the spot?

    Why did you approach these people to begin with? If they did nothing wrong.

    And how is a citizen supposed to protect themselves when they fear for their own personal safety around cops?
    Iím not sure that they were totally fine with it. It seemed like they realized the one guy ****ed up.
    I can see why people would expect them to immediately reprimand the body slammer but after that action took place the most important thing to do is 1) handcuff the subject temporarily for the safety of everybody involved, and 2) render aid as necessary. It appears that it was they did. Letting that situation get even further out of control would have been beneficial to nobody IMO. Iím not sure if that really makes as much sense to you and it does to me right now.

    Did they try to cover this up for the one guy? Did they report everything that happened accurately? I honestly have no idea. Are there any reports on the outcome of this?
    óóóóóóóóóóóóó-
    As to the other question. There are so many different scenarios. One scenario is that a citizen calls in the complaint against somebody for whatever reason. You have to respond whether the complaint is valid or complete ********. I currently work in an affluent white community and itís not uncommon for somebody to call in a suspicious person based solely off of their skin color. I canít tell you how many times the suspicious person ends up being a black man that is doing some kind of utility work on the street. He is in full uniform with a yellow vest on with a marked work vehicle yet these people consider him suspicious. Itís absolutely terrible how much racism there still in this country, not only in the general public but also in law enforcement. Iím certainly not oblivious to it. Iím not perfect but I will say that I try to be as transparent and fair with everybody I come into contact with. I do understand why minorities are fearful of police. I get it. Police officers **** up sometimes and need to deal with the consequences. Hell, sometimes police officers are straight up bad human beings. No denying that. Sometimes I get defensive when you guys seem to be so anti-police and thatís because I know so many good men and women who truly care about the people of their community and do so many beautiful and amazing things. There needs to be change in law enforcement but the extreme sides are not going to help accomplish that. Until there is a middle ground where everyone can work together I donít see this ugliness stopping. Sorry for the rant, back to your question.

    Iíd say the majority of the people that I have detained but not arrested usually comes from traffic stops. The reason I detain them is not only for my safety but also for their own. Maybe thatís hard to believe but itís true. Somebody in handcuffs is no real threat to me and in my mind I am not threat to them. The cause me feeling uneasy usually comes from me being outnumbered. I generally am working with one or maybe two other guys. Itís not uncommon for five to six people to be in a vehicle. Part of the job is developing and trusting your instincts. Sometimes situations just donít feel right. It could be body language, weird hand movements inside of the vehicle, conflicting stories between passengers in the same vehicle, previous criminal history, etc. Sometimes your instincts are correct and sometimes the sketchy behavior is just caused by fear of the police. And in situations like that it really sucks that it has to be that way. When pulling somebody from a vehicle and potentially handcuffing them I attempt to calmly and rationally explain the situation to them before doing so. When my suspicions and instincts are wrong Iím sure sometimes itís extremely upsetting to the person and for that Iím truly sorry. I also know that by me doing so Iím going to leave that car stop physically unharmed and so are they.

    Wow that is probably unnecessarily long. Sorry. Just wanted to give an idea of what my mindset is in certain situations.

  14. #3539
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Gee why donít them black folks trust the cops to do the right thing and just cooperate?

    Oh right because so many cops treat being black as probable cause...

    I remember when I got NWAís Straight Outta Compton, I thought they were cool. My friends and I would sing/yell ******* the police when the cops drove by. Then I grew hair on my nuts and matured. Do you think that will happen for you one day?

  15. #3540
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    92,976
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    I remember when I got NWAís Straight Outta Compton, I thought they were cool. My friends and I would sing/yell ******* the police when the cops drove by. Then I grew hair on my nuts and matured. Do you think that will happen for you one day?
    The guy was waiting for his sister and apparently matches the description that the cops got. Which apparently was nothing more than ďblack guyĒ. Please tell me how your statement addresses police racism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •