Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 593 of 603 FirstFirst ... 93493543583591592593594595 ... LastLast
Results 8,881 to 8,895 of 9033
  1. #8881
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    How many innocent people are you willing to let the state kill? Because the answer for me is a resounding zero. One person killed by the state is too many. So the only way to prevent that is to entirely prevent the death penalty from ever being used. What is "clear, decisive, and undeniable evidence"? It sounds nice but how many people have been convicted and sentenced to death only to be found innocent in this country? They were convicted with evidence that a jury and several levels of appeals likely found "clear, decisive, and undeniable evidence". Only for there to have been something wrong or mistaken.
    The person who entered a spa and killed the employees is being considered for the death penalty. I'm 100% for it.
    Non-conclusive evidence is what it looks like. Not just off hearsay or a couple of witnesses but video evidence and undeniable evidence. If they don't have that, no death penalty. States have different measures of the death penalty. Court of law in every state varies even with something as driving a motor vehicle so why do you make this a federal issue?

  2. #8882
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,548
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    The person who entered a spa and killed the employees is being considered for the death penalty. I'm 100% for it.
    Non-conclusive evidence is what it looks like. Not just off hearsay or a couple of witnesses but video evidence and undeniable evidence. If they don't have that, no death penalty. States have different measures of the death penalty. Court of law in every state varies even with something as driving a motor vehicle so why do you make this a federal issue?
    That person should be imprisoned for the remainder of his life. There is no justification for the death penalty. We are in the business of justice not revenge.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  3. #8883
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    That person should be imprisoned for the remainder of his life. There is no justification for the death penalty. We are in the business of justice not revenge.
    Okay, so you have an issue with the death penalty regardless of whether there is conclusive evidence which is an entirely separate discussion. Why even bring up wrongful death penalty convictions, then? I don't understand some people.

  4. #8884
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,548
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    Okay, so you have an issue with the death penalty regardless of whether there is conclusive evidence which is an entirely separate discussion. Why even bring up wrongful death penalty convictions, then? I don't understand some people.
    I bring it up because Iím not trying to show myself itís wrong. Iím trying to show other people who think differently than I do why itís wrong. Whenever you post evidence or stories about something, are you trying to convince yourself?
    ___

    Also I found this odd. Perhaps if the arrested were a bit different complexion?

    https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-new...mpression=true

  5. #8885
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I bring it up because Iím not trying to show myself itís wrong. Iím trying to show other people who think differently than I do why itís wrong. Whenever you post evidence or stories about something, are you trying to convince yourself?
    ___

    Also I found this odd. Perhaps if the arrested were a bit different complexion?

    https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-new...mpression=true
    I think it's not wrong for nutjobs like Dylann Roof. Get them out of the world, end of story.

  6. #8886
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,548
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    I think it's not wrong for nutjobs like Dylann Roof. Get them out of the world, end of story.
    For every Dylann Roof, there are people like I've posted who people thought were equally absolutely certainly guilty and it turns out they weren't. The system made by imperfect people is imperfect and thus fails. There is no good way to limit the death penalty to only people EVERYONE knows are guilty. Thus I don't believe the state should have that authority at all.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  7. #8887
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    That person should be imprisoned for the remainder of his life. There is no justification for the death penalty. We are in the business of justice not revenge.
    What if a prisoner facing the rest of their lives in prison wishes to die? Would you allow it?

  8. #8888
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    For every Dylann Roof, there are people like I've posted who people thought were equally absolutely certainly guilty and it turns out they weren't. The system made by imperfect people is imperfect and thus fails. There is no good way to limit the death penalty to only people EVERYONE knows are guilty. Thus I don't believe the state should have that authority at all.
    Not every case is the same. There are times where absolute and undeniable evidence exists. Video recording showing someone enter a building, shooting up the place, and then people on the scene identifying that individual who is also holding the weapon seems undeniable evidence to me. You're trying to frame it as if the death penalty is a singular issue that can't be distinguishable. If there isn't enough evidence or it isn't conclusive, the death penalty is obviously not something they should be charged with. Wrongful convictions happen all the time ranging from petty crime that wouldn't even come close to the death penalty. Should we throw out the legal system and prison? What you're arguing has no bearing regarding the death penalty. You're arguing about people who are wrongfully convicted of a crime they did not commit which is not something anyone would agree with. That isn't a partisan issue. Both sides don't want people wrongfully committed.

  9. #8889
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    What if a prisoner facing the rest of their lives in prison wishes to die? Would you allow it?
    They arenít terminally ill, so I donít think so. Just being locked in prison isnít terminal in any way. If they want to kill themselves, well thereís not a whole lot we can do about that. But generally speaking, I would be opposed to letting someone be killed to avoid life in prison.

  10. #8890
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    They arenít terminally ill, so I donít think so. Just being locked in prison isnít terminal in any way. If they want to kill themselves, well thereís not a whole lot we can do about that. But generally speaking, I would be opposed to letting someone be killed to avoid life in prison.
    That's what I'm saying. Are you going to openly allow them to kill themselves?

  11. #8891
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    That's what I'm saying. Are you going to openly allow them to kill themselves?
    Define allow. Iím not going to assign everyone who is jailed for life a security guard. Their jailing would be no different than any current prisoner for life. Iím proposing no changes to the existing law or enforcement outside of the fact that there will be no death penalty. This seems straightforward.

  12. #8892
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Define allow. Iím not going to assign everyone who is jailed for life a security guard. Their jailing would be no different than any current prisoner for life. Iím proposing no changes to the existing law or enforcement outside of the fact that there will be no death penalty. This seems straightforward.
    Have pills available that anyone can opt to take that will let them take the long sleep.

    I'm against the death penalty because if the standards were high enough that it was impossible to make a mistake it's too much work for too few people and it will cost a lot more than prison for life. Some people want criminals to "suffer" for life, I'm okay with someone choosing to opt out of life in prison on their own, I just don't want the state forcing it on them.

  13. #8893
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    98,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Have pills available that anyone can opt to take that will let them take the long sleep.

    I'm against the death penalty because if the standards were high enough that it was impossible to make a mistake it's too much work for too few people and it will cost a lot more than prison for life. Some people want criminals to "suffer" for life, I'm okay with someone choosing to opt out of life in prison on their own, I just don't want the state forcing it on them.
    Oh well then no. I don't support that. Not even a little bit. "Now I have to sit in a prison cell for the crime that I was convicted of for the rest of my life" doesn't meet the terminal suffering that I have.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  14. #8894
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    37,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Oh well then no. I don't support that. Not even a little bit. "Now I have to sit in a prison cell for the crime that I was convicted of for the rest of my life" doesn't meet the terminal suffering that I have.
    Why do you want them to live against their wishes?

  15. #8895
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    14,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Why do you want them to live against their wishes?
    They are in prison against their wishes and march off to the gas chamber against theirs wish. So what is your point?
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

    Will Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •