Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer will retire

NBC News reported Wednesday that U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer will retire at the end of the current term.

The White House did not immediately comment.

Breyer's retirement will allow President Joe Biden to appoint a justice who could serve for decades while maintaining the 6-3 split between conservative and liberal justices in the immediate future.
    Source: WJAR (NBC affiliate)

Now that it's official, I am posting a thread about it. I posted in the main Biden thread but there was nothing official when I saw it. But this appears to now be official.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move fasterÖbut tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

Oh boy.

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

A small part of me would like Joe Biden to come out and say he's appointing Hunter Biden to the role. But Ketanji Brown Jackson or Leondra Kruger seem to be the two front runners. I perfer Kruger because she's 5 years young and I'm sorry but I want someone in that chair for 40-50 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move fasterÖbut tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

Considering that all it's going to do is continue the 6-3 split, this isn't going to make much difference.

I remember people kicking the idea of putting Harris on the court, because she's so unpopular, which would allow Biden to get someone else to grom to be the heir of the DCCC. (Not that I personally took the suggestion to seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Considering that all it's going to do is continue the 6-3 split, this isn't going to make much difference.

I remember people kicking the idea of putting Harris on the court, because she's so unpopular, which would allow Biden to get someone else to grom to be the heir of the DCCC. (Not that I personally took the suggestion to seriously)
    People are also suggesting Hillary is going to run again in 2024.

People are idiots who say things for attention.

"It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

A small part of me would like Joe Biden to come out and say he's appointing Hunter Biden to the role. But Ketanji Brown Jackson or Leondra Kruger seem to be the two front runners. I perfer Kruger because she's 5 years young and I'm sorry but I want someone in that chair for 40-50 years.
    I don't think even Democrats would go along with that, especially after he explicitly promised to put a black woman on the court. (Yay IDPOL obsession)

I wonder to what degree Breyer will have in selecting his replacement, I think KBJ was a clerk of Breyers actually.
    And While I understand the desire to get as young a person as possible on the court, you never know with how people will age, and how their mind or health will handle it.
    Nancy Pelosi and Michael Bloomberg are both older than Biden, but clearly much sharper. A person could be 5 years younger than another judge but die 5 years earlier if they get unlucky.

Also, I could see several Republicans going along with the vote rather than fighting it too hard, since it's not changing the composition of the court, and Conservatives still hold a 6-3 majority.

There was a small part of me that was hoping Breyer would stick around until Trump came back.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    People are also suggesting Hillary is going to run again in 2024.

People are idiots who say things for attention.
    That's MADAME PRESIDENT to the likes of you!

I just want to know who can tell her. I donít have the heart to break the news.

Kruger is 45 while Jackson is 51, so Iíd prefer Kruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    Kruger is 45 while Jackson is 51, so Iíd prefer Kruger.
    I think that either would be a great pick. But I want to play the odds game. Iím sorry to all the people who want to act like the Supreme Court is some apolitical organization but itís not. There is a 6-3 Republican Supreme Court and we need to make sure we donít lose those 3 votes. An extra 6 years is key!

I think that either would be a great pick. But I want to play the odds game. Iím sorry to all the people who want to act like the Supreme Court is some apolitical organization but itís not. There is a 6-3 Republican Supreme Court and we need to make sure we donít lose those 3 votes. An extra 6 years is key!
    There's no guarantee they live longer just because they're younger. Some die at 74, some die at 100. Taking the older one has a chance of shortening who would be on the court by 20 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    There's no guarantee they live longer just because they're younger. Some die at 74, some die at 100. Taking the older one has a chance of shortening who would be on the court by 20 years or more.
    True but I firmly believe the odds are better for someone younger.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The first sentence is kinda incongruent, the younger one could die at 74, while the older one could live to be 100. There is no telling with these things. One isn't significantly older than the other, it's not as though one is 45 and the other is 65.

You guys are honestly overthinking this a little to much, shouldn't their judicial records and opinions matter too? If not, then **** it put AOC on the supreme court.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    The first sentence is kinda incongruent, the younger one could die at 74, while the older one could live to be 100. There is no telling with these things. One isn't significantly older than the other, it's not as though one is 45 and the other is 65.
    Pretty sure that's why he said "a chance."

Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast