Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 303 of 446 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 6682
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    100s are you like in the club? Anyway I agree. Just making the point that it is not an even power relationship. the fact that the landlord can get something doesnít automatically make it appropriate bc if it wasnít the renter would go elsewhere. I lived in a lot of apartments and had very few problems myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why the edit? Seriously. What's the point? It made me view your post with less seriousness. I get that you need to be whimsical, but it is actually okay to be serious. Especially when you're trying to be serious.

Can you tell me why it should be an even power relationship? Again, one person owns the property, the other person needs it. This isn't government provided housing. It's a business. Businesses make profits. As much profit as they can. Why should it be an even power relationship?
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Why the edit? Seriously. What's the point? It made me view your post with less seriousness. I get that you need to be whimsical, but it is actually okay to be serious. Especially when you're trying to be serious.

Can you tell me why it should be an even power relationship? Again, one person owns the property, the other person needs it. This isn't government provided housing. It's a business. Businesses make profits. As much profit as they can. Why should it be an even power relationship?
    It shouldnít be but it is why it needs some regulation. Itís why we shouldnít pretend that the fact that someone was willing to pay automatically makes things appropriate. People can be taken advantage of in uneven power relationships. I was also curious about the knowing 100s of land lords comment. How many do you really know? Is it a lot for a reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    To help people. Their needs are more important than yours, obviously.
    Imagine there being a middle ground between not being able to make a profit and no rules governing rental agreements...

It shouldnít be but it is why it needs some regulation. Itís why we shouldnít pretend that the fact that someone was willing to pay automatically makes things appropriate. People can be taken advantage of in uneven power relationships. I was also curious about the knowing 100s of land lords comment. How many do you really know? Is it a lot for a reason?

There's tons of regulations in place. In the situation that you presented, a single person reporting it could've had it stopped. Actually, a single person reporting it probably did get it stopped.

I literally know 100s and no, there's no club. I deal with with wealthy corporate people every day and the vast majority of them have properties for a side gig.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Imagine there being a middle ground between not being able to make a profit and no rules governing rental agreements...
    There is... a landlord sets an asking price. If a tenant believes itís reasonable, they sign an agreement. If no tenant believes the asking price is reasonable, the landlord will most likely , lower it.

There is... a landlord sets an asking price. If a tenant believes itís reasonable, they sign an agreement. If no tenant believes the asking price is reasonable, the landlord will most likely , lower it.
    With no additional rules or protections for either party?

Thatís actually the extreme, not the middle ground.

There's tons of regulations in place. In the situation that you presented, a single person reporting it could've had it stopped. Actually, a single person reporting it probably did get it stopped.

I literally know 100s and no, there's no club. I deal with with wealthy corporate people every day and the vast majority of them have properties for a side gig.
    Yep most people recognize the need for those type of regulations. Some people seem to think itís an even relationship and any regulation is actually preventing the free market from doling out fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    With no additional rules or protections for either party?

Thatís actually the extreme, not the middle ground.
    There are rules and protections. The reason you're not aware of them is because the vast majority of owners are pricing appropriately.

Yep most people recognize the need for those type of regulations. Some people seem to think itís an even relationship and any regulation is actually preventing the free market from doling out fairness.
    Not true.

This is why they kneel

Not true.
    I donít think we are disagreeing. Joey can answer for himself but his posts here suggest otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I live in Northern Virginia bear DC and $1500 will get me a 1 bedroom/1bath with about 700 square feet. If I need to have more people like children, then weíre approaching $2000. So either you live out in the middle of nowhere or are sharing with a couple of other people.
    I got 2 bedroom/2 bath for 90,000, Mortgage Payment is 680 per month.

There are rules and protections. The reason you're not aware of them is because the vast majority of owners are pricing appropriately.
    Oh, Iím aware of them. Iím asking Joey if he believes they are part of the middle ground since he did not mention anything about them in his response.

No, if every available unit is asking a ridiculous price then they will pay it. People will pay for a roof over their head. If that means eating more fast food to save money then that's what they'll do.

Landlord tenant relationship is clearly going to be in favor of the landlord. Cities are growing and housing shortages are a normal thing. This isnt an industry which should be left to the hands of capitalism.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    I got 2 bedroom/2 bath for 90,000, Mortgage Payment is 680 per month.

Housing options like that donít exist unless itís a shithole or youíre in a less than desirable location, which then leads to job availability issues.

Your single case is not remotely representative of housing.

I am moving from Michigan to southern Indiana. When I bought my 1900 square foot home on 10,000sqft lot 5 years ago in Michigan, we paid $175,000 and had a $1048 mortgage payment. Water/electric averaged $90 a month, and gas peaked at $140/month in winter (averaged $60/month). The apartment we left had initially had rented a ~1000 square foot apt. for $998. The rent in one calendar year was going to jump $300. We were given around 3 monthís notice.

Rent in that area and the greater metropolitan area for a 1bd/1 bath tops $1000/month now. There is a MASSIVE rental and home shortage compared to job availability, so prices skyrocketed.

We sold our home at $225,000, and weíre fortunate to have relocation expenses covering our move because the housing market here is moving outrageously fast, and homes are overpriced while rentals are north of $1,000/mo for 2 bedroom apartments (we have a baby now and need more space than we did).

My wife and I both have good paying jobs giving us a lot of opportunity. The people I now supervise make less than half of what I make and are really pretty skilled tradespeople, basically. Unless they promote into my position, they wonít have the savings to buy a home within 50 miles of where we work...the math to make that happen just doesnít align.

And thatís the crux of my argument - hard working, skilled people should be able to afford housing that they can own with time. America used to be that way. Weíve drifted from that model.

^ to piggyback, I live south of Seattle and I paid $400,000 for my house. $90,000 buys you a cardboard box or a tough shed in Seattle.