Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Can a player HURT their legacy by playing past their prime?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes a lot

1 11.11%
  • Yes a little

2 22.22%
  • Not at all

6 66.67%
  • Only Dwight Howard

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I very much doubt Dirk ends up Top 20-25 player ever without that 11 Ring, especially considering he was known as a choke artist prior with his biggest moments being him losing the series to the Heat in 06 and losing as the #1 seed to the Warriors.
    Dirk was a really good playoff performer. I donít think was thought of as a choker. His Mavs got upset by a really exciting Warriors team but I donít think that was defining at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Dirk was a really good playoff performer. I donít think was thought of as a choker. His Mavs got upset by a really exciting Warriors team but I donít think that was defining at all.
    There was definitely a perception Dirk was a soft euro player who couldnít win the big one. I remember having many debates on here about it.

I donít think Dirk individually came up short. His teams were just poorly built. They were all built to run and gun with him as opposed to cover for his weaknesses. The DAL team he won with was well set up. He had a DPOY type center for him and strong defenders on the perimeter.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Can a player HURT their legacy by playing past their prime?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    There was definitely a perception Dirk was a soft euro player who couldnít win the big one. I remember having many debates on here about it.
    Idk. Sounds like Iknowhoops had a hot take right after the series. Dirk was generally fantastic in the post season

Can a player HURT their legacy by playing past their prime?

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I donít think Dirk individually came up short. His teams were just poorly built. They were all built to run and gun with him as opposed to cover for his weaknesses. The DAL team he won with was well set up. He had a DPOY type center for him and strong defenders on the perimeter.
    This is true. Nellie was very invested in his small ball vision but the team was better with a real big man.

Dirk also got better. Stephan Jackson in and TMac were the guys that showed smaller defenders could run him off the 3 point line, not let him drve north/South to the bucket, and root him out of the post. Then he got a little stronger, developed that one legged turnaround, unleashed the power of long contested 2 point jump shots, and was totally dominate

Last edited by ewing; 05-25-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think when a player demonstrates that they have more limitations to their game as their situation changes they deservedly lose in reputation.
    what if it's as simple as decline tho? look at Draymond, u cant tell me you're not worried about his long term value.

I don't think he was exposed this year, I think hes done as an all star

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    what if it's as simple as decline tho? look at Draymond, u cant tell me you're not worried about his long term value.

I don't think he was exposed this year, I think hes done as an all star
    I was concerned about his long term value when he was a rookie.

I think it's unlikely he is an all-star with so much talent moving to the west.

I think itís case by case. I donít think Duncan or Manu hurt their legacies.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    I think itís case by case. I donít think Duncan or Manu hurt their legacies.
    Since the OP asked is it possible, this sounds like your answer is "yes"

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Since the OP asked is it possible, this sounds like your answer is "yes"
    Yea. Iíd say Melo tarnished his legacy but not because his game fell off but because he didnít want to adapt to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Yea. Iíd say Melo tarnished his legacy but not because his game fell off but because he didnít want to adapt to it.
    So there is a difference between perception of Melo's game and how he actually ranks on your list. Do you really believe that 5 or so years ago he should have been ranked at a higher number than today?

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    So there is a difference between perception of Melo's game and how he actually ranks on your list. Do you really believe that 5 or so years ago he should have been ranked at a higher number than today?
    Iíd have to really dive into the numbers but I do think he hurt his standing the same way that AI hurt his.

I think there's a difference between the way people generally talk about someone vs. if they sat down and make thought out rankings. If someone is just shooting the **** I think they might be apt to discredit players like Melo, Dwight, AI because of their waning years. But if they really sit down and made a full list I think they'll probably put their primes in context and consider them more fairly.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

I think there's a difference between the way people generally talk about someone vs. if they sat down and make thought out rankings. If someone is just shooting the **** I think they might be apt to discredit players like Melo, Dwight, AI because of their waning years. But if they really sit down and made a full list I think they'll probably put their primes in context and consider them more fairly.
    I think youíre probably right.

But likewise a player who has 90% of the performance of a great player but for 3 times as long would reasonably rank above the "better" player with a short peak. And then you add in that these "rankings" are supposedly happening during their careers ... when you look at that great player with a short peak during their peak you are going to project their current level forward at hopefully a reasonable level of performance when you rank them, but then if their performance falls of a cliff your projection was wrong so moving them down the list as you learn more as they age past their peak it makes sense.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast