Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 338
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,870
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Potential, yes

    But right now, he isnít very good. So Iím not thinking itís a misconception. Until he proves it, itís the current reality. Obviously I think he will improve, or I wouldnít want to take him

    Itís what will decide if he hits his floor, or his ceiling
    Based on what? He could shoot in HS. I donít get the idea that heís going to come in and not be able to shoot at all. He will be a better shooter than rookie lonzo for sure imo
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    29,870
    Lamelos problem is shot selection and effort on defense. If he gets his shot selection under control I think heíll be pretty efficient. I think heís going to get more than 6 assists a game. I can see him being 12-6-9 his rookie year. He doesnít have to lite up the world from the 3 point line. I donít see anything that tells me heís going to be just awful from there. Guess we will see what happens his rookie year.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,408
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Doncic is shooting 31% from 3 and dominating the NBA.

    They are similar in that they both fire away from well beyond the 3pt line. They have the range and defenses have to respect it. It's not like Randle where they are shooting wide open 3's right on the line.

    Ball's FT% leads me to believe he has a nice touch and will figure out the 3. But I don't think he has to be Trae Young either, his size, IQ, vision, ball handling and skills are really a rare combo. I think Ball is a 18/6/6 guy even if he doesn't figure out the 3, but if he does, he has even more potential to get near Donci levels
    Doncic is dominating the NBA because he was dominating in the Euro League as a teenager.

    The way they attempt their 3s and their passing/playmaking are the only similarities right now. Doncic is a dominant force in the paint, thatís something LaMelo needs to improve on greatly.

    LaMelo doesnít have NBA play-strength yet and he has no mid-range game outside of a floater that he uses way too much. Most of his scoring potential is a complete projection right now.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,408
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Based on what? He could shoot in HS. I donít get the idea that heís going to come in and not be able to shoot at all. He will be a better shooter than rookie lonzo for sure imo
    He was much shorter in HS, so thatís irrelevant now. Heís probably had to rework his entire shooting form which isnít easy at all.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,408
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    6 teams combined passed on Doncic and Trae and regret it, even though they were very clearly the most skilled players.

    We are in an era where skill more than anything matters, and Melo is simply the most skilled player in the draft.

    Don't overthink it, you can create question marks about anyone in a draft.
    I donít think Memphis regrets passing on Trae. They have Morant and Jaren Jackson who looks very promising.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,616
    The issue that I have with a lot of these opinions that the Knicks shouldnít trade up is that the Doncic situation is rare.

    Teams do not trade picks when the player is a slam dunk future HOF, generational, or whatever you want to classify them as, unless itís a situation like the Magic being concerned about the fit with Shaq and Webber.

    The majority of these trades are for players who have just as many questions as Ball. Heís basically the typical top 5 pick in any draft and thatís worth trading up for.

    The only reasons why the Doncic trade happened was because of the skepticism around European players, questions about his athleticism, and the Hawks front office coming from the Warriors and the perceived similarities between Curry and Young. Good luck waiting for a perfect storm like that again to make a move.
    Last edited by smood999; 05-26-2020 at 03:31 PM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9,107
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Based on what? He could shoot in HS. I donít get the idea that heís going to come in and not be able to shoot at all. He will be a better shooter than rookie lonzo for sure imo
    Based on him shooting 37/25 in the Australian league

    I could care less about any excuses. Against competition less than top notch, thatís bad. Itís not reasonable to have a question?

    And for the 100000th time, yes, I think he will be better. Yes I want him. Yes Iíd trade up within reason. Yes there is a chance he isnít a very good shooter. Need to keep going over it?

    Ive said for months i think heís top 2 in this fairly weak draft. I hope we get him
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 05-26-2020 at 03:31 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    33,773
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Doncic is dominating the NBA because he was dominating in the Euro League as a teenager.

    The way they attempt their 3s and their passing/playmaking are the only similarities right now. Doncic is a dominant force in the paint, thatís something LaMelo needs to improve on greatly.

    LaMelo doesnít have NBA play-strength yet and he has no mid-range game outside of a floater that he uses way too much. Most of his scoring potential is a complete projection right now.
    really? They are both 6'7 PG's who have great vision, handles, IQ and are both great passers but struggle from 3. not sure how they arent similar?

    And Doncic didn't dominate at first, took him a few years, granted he was a little younger than Ball.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    33,773
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I donít think Memphis regrets passing on Trae. They have Morant and Jaren Jackson who looks very promising.
    Morant was last years draft and it turned out fine for MEM due to the ping pong balls helping them get Morant, but you cant compare Jackson to DOncic & Trae.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,408
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    really? They are both 6'7 PG's who have great vision, handles, IQ and are both great passers but struggle from 3. not sure how they arent similar?

    And Doncic didn't dominate at first, took him a few years, granted he was a little younger than Ball.
    Like I said, they have some similarities, but Luka has almost 30 lbs on LaMelo and dominates in the paint like no other guard does.

    Heís shooting 57% on 2PT FGs this season and goes to the FT line 9 times a game. So Lukaís below average 3PT shooting doesnít really matter that much because overall heís still very efficient.

    LaMeloís game needs at least an average 3PT shot IMO. His defense at this stage of his development is not close to Rubio who people keep comparing to as his floor. Rubio is a good defender.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    33,773
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Like I said, they have some similarities, but Luka has almost 30 lbs on LaMelo and dominates in the paint like no other guard does.

    Heís shooting 57% on 2PT FGs this season and goes to the FT line 9 times a game. So Lukaís below average 3PT shooting doesnít really matter that much because overall heís still very efficient.

    LaMeloís game needs at least an average 3PT shot IMO. His defense at this stage of his development is not close to Rubio who people keep comparing to as his floor. Rubio is a good defender.
    I mean Melo doesn't have to be Luka and likely won't but they have a lot of similarities and weaknesses. Luka is probably next in line for best player once Lebron & Curry fade. I was just saying Doncic is still a threat from 3, just like Ball was, the range is there and I think both will be good 3pt shooters when it's all said and done.

    but Luka also has gained slowly, Melo doesn't have to be a finished product anytime soon.

    I will say Luka has tree trunks for legs and that's where a lot of his strenght comes from.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,029
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    really? They are both 6'7 PG's who have great vision, handles, IQ and are both great passers but struggle from 3. not sure how they arent similar?

    And Doncic didn't dominate at first, took him a few years, granted he was a little younger than Ball.
    Are you guys really arguing over how similar someone neither of you have seen outside of YouTube highlights is to Luka?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,408
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Morant was last years draft and it turned out fine for MEM due to the ping pong balls helping them get Morant, but you cant compare Jackson to DOncic & Trae.
    Iím just saying theyíre probably thrilled with how it turned out. I doubt they would have Morant and Trae in the backcourt, so I guess if they had Trae they would have picked RJ or traded down.

    But Jackson has a lot of talent. Heís already become a very good volume 3PT shooting big with the length to offer rim protection as well.

    Trae is awesome offensively, but is arguably the worst defensive player in the NBA. So his numbers are a double-edged sword.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    33,773
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Are you guys really arguing over how similar someone neither of you have seen outside of YouTube highlights is to Luka?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you're in the ball thread and it bothers you that he's being discussed? i guess no international players should be talked about?

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,408
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    I mean Melo doesn't have to be Luka and likely won't but they have a lot of similarities and weaknesses. Luka is probably next in line for best player once Lebron & Curry fade. I was just saying Doncic is still a threat from 3, just like Ball was, the range is there and I think both will be good 3pt shooters when it's all said and done.

    but Luka also has gained slowly, Melo doesn't have to be a finished product anytime soon.

    I will say Luka has tree trunks for legs and that's where a lot of his strenght comes from.
    Hard to say LaMelo is a threat from 3 when he was bricking them at a 25% clip on high volume. LaMelo has a long way to go IMO. He clearly has high potential, but heís still a very risky pick given how far away he is from his ceiling. The first few years could be very ugly (but then again weíre used to seeing Payton, DSJ, Frank, etc. run point).

    I donít even see the Rondo/Rubio floor comparisons tbh, because while heís a great passer, I donít see him as a ďpass-firstĒ selfless player like those guys are. At the end of the day, heís always been a scorer first and foremost and will probably take a lot of shots regardless of whether heís efficient or not. 17 PPG on 16.7 shots in the NBL is very poor. Itís a shame he couldnít play more games to prove that he could he more efficient than he showed.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •