Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    LaMelo Ball isn't just billed as the next solid starter.

LaMelo Ball is being billed as the next Jason Kidd. Numbers lean towards Ball. Kidd played a little college ball at the University of California. Ball plays in Oz. The best Aussie league players are Luc Longley & Patty Mills. Doesn't say much about competition.

Whoever drafts Ball will pay him well and deal with the media circus and pressure to make HIM a winner.

Rajon Rondo was surrounded by THREE of the greatest 50 players in the history of the NBA:

1. Ray Allen: One of the most accurate shooters in the history of the NBA. Hall of Famer.

2. Paul Pierce: One of the best 4th quarter assassins and 2-way player. Hall of Famer. Hall of Famer.

3. Kevin Garnett: A locker room leader. Motivator. While he was past his prime, he was STILL good enough.

Then the Rondo Effect:

1. Ray Allen left for Miami d/t a fight with Rondo. Never bothered to show up to the Ring Ceremony d/t Rondo.

2. Rick Carlisle punched Rondo during practice AND WON.

3. Rondo was bench in Chicago on Rondo bobblehead day.

You can't make this up.
    KG was the best player on that. I don’t understand the rondo comparisons at all. This guy is 6’7.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    KG was the best player on that. I don’t understand the rondo comparisons at all. This guy is 6’7.
    I don’t know about that whole thing haha..

We were only comparing Ball to players that weren’t major shooters/scorers, but that had all-around games, good passers/playmakers, and still good players. Thinking Ball could be on those levels even if he never becomes a better shooter

I haven’t heard anyone bill him as “the next Jason Kidd”. That’s unfair, and very optimistic. Can’t say it’s impossible, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting..

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post

We were only comparing Ball to players that weren’t major shooters/scorers, but that had all-around games, good passers/playmakers, and still good players. Thinking Ball could be on those levels even if he never becomes a better shooter

I haven’t heard anyone bill him as “the next Jason Kidd”. That’s unfair, and very optimistic. Can’t say it’s impossible, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting..
    I’d trade up if he is the next Rondo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post

I can’t argue against that

The common misconception is that Lamelo can’t shoot or score. He’s just a little raw. He’s got potential to score and shoot very well.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    The common misconception is that Lamelo can’t shoot or score. He’s just a little raw. He’s got potential to score and shoot very well.
    Potential, yes

But right now, he isn’t very good. So I’m not thinking it’s a misconception. Until he proves it, it’s the current reality. Obviously I think he will improve, or I wouldn’t want to take him

It’s what will decide if he hits his floor, or his ceiling

Potential, yes

But right now, he isn’t very good. So I’m not thinking it’s a misconception. Until he proves it, it’s the current reality. Obviously I think he will improve, or I wouldn’t want to take him

But this is not like a Markelle Fultz or even Frank Ntilikina situation.

You can tell LaMelo has a good feel for scoring, but the percentages are down because of his shot selection. And you add in the fact that he has a weird shooting form, and it's hard to project what he'll be at the next level.

But saying he can't shoot or score doesn't really capture the issue, imo.

Potential, yes

Doncic is shooting 31% from 3 and dominating the NBA.

They are similar in that they both fire away from well beyond the 3pt line. They have the range and defenses have to respect it. It's not like Randle where they are shooting wide open 3's right on the line.

Ball's FT% leads me to believe he has a nice touch and will figure out the 3. But I don't think he has to be Trae Young either, his size, IQ, vision, ball handling and skills are really a rare combo. I think Ball is a 18/6/6 guy even if he doesn't figure out the 3, but if he does, he has even more potential to get near Donci levels

Guys..

I’m not arguing he can’t, or won’t improve. I like him. I’ve wanted him all along. I think at worst, he’s a a good pro

Just thats the biggest question mark. If his offensive game was better, he would be the unquestioned #1 pick, considered a star in the making

Just being realistic. And the competition level also supports the question. But I’d take him hands down.

Guys..

I’m not arguing he can’t, or won’t improve. I like him. I’ve wanted him all along. I think at worst, he’s a a good pro

Just thats the biggest question mark. If his offensive game was better, he would be the unquestioned #1 pick, considered a star in the making

Just being realistic. And the competition level also supports the question. But I’d take him hands down.
    I agree, I was just responding more to the idea that he's like a Rondo or Rubio type prospect, when in reality there's much more optimism regarding his scoring ability. And while his shooting form may be awful, I don't think it's unfixable, or that it means he will be a terrible shooter at the next level. Lonzo is a good example of that same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba313 View Post
    I agree, I was just responding more to the idea that he's like a Rondo or Rubio type prospect, when in reality there's much more optimism regarding his scoring ability. And while his shooting form may be awful, I don't think it's unfixable, or that it means he will be a terrible shooter at the next level. Lonzo is a good example of that same issue.
    Was using them as a baseline “floor” level of quality. Not necessarily play style. But I agree with all that

I like his chances to be at least respectable as a scoring threat. If he’s that, there’s zero issues. Better than that, you’ve potentially got something special
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 05-26-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post

I can’t argue against that
    I would trade up for him if his worst possible outcome is Rubio, which is exactly what I think it is right now.

We got a few questions about LaMelo Ball and the possibility of the Knicks moving up in the draft:

@PrimeCarmelo: Do you think the Knicks trade up for LaMelo if they don't move up in the lottery?

@Jiggyx_1: How would the lottery results for this draft affect our motivation to trade up?? Is there a specific player they key in on?? How likely is that?

This shouldn't surprise anyone who has followed the 2020 draft class, but the Knicks have LaMelo Ball ranked as the top point guard on their draft board, an SNY source confirmed. One opposing scout said he assumed most teams have Ball at the top. But since @PrimeCarmelo asked specifically about LaMelo, it's worth pointing out that Knicks people think highly of the young guard.

That said, if the Knicks end up with the No. 6 pick, there are other factors to think about when discussing whether or not they'd move up. Who has the first four picks? Are any of those teams open to moving down for multiple picks or for a player and a pick? Just how much would New York be willing to sacrifice to move up a few spots to draft Ball?

It's tough to even speculate about that without knowing the draft order. I think the one thing you can say with a degree of certainty is that the Knicks, like all teams around the time of the draft, will be open to listening to trade opportunities available to them before they settle on a pick.

Regarding @Jiggyx_1's question, given that the Knicks are in need of a point guard and have Ball currently ranked at the top of their board, it's logical to assume that they'd be open to trading up for him. But it depends on the price, obviously. And that depends on which teams are ahead of the Knicks in the draft order.

We know that LaVar Ball would like to see LaMelo in New York. There are others in LaMelo's circle -- outside of LaVar -- who would love to see him end up in New York, SNY sources say. The New York Post reported that some in the NBA believe LaVar will try to steer LaMelo to the Knicks.

It seems like it would be difficult for Ball's camp to coordinate his landing LaMelo in New York if the Knicks end up with the No. 6 pick. Maybe withholding Ball's medical information from teams ahead of the Knicks could lead him to slide down? But it seems unlikely that he slides all the way to No. 6.
    https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/knick...raft/313467706

Guys..

6 teams combined passed on Doncic and Trae and regret it, even though they were very clearly the most skilled players.

We are in an era where skill more than anything matters, and Melo is simply the most skilled player in the draft.

Don't overthink it, you can create question marks about anyone in a draft.

Movin' On Up
    The Knicks like LaMelo Ball, but he may be gone before they pick. If NBA history is any indication, this is nothing but a minor inconvenience.
    Knicks Film School

Summer is officially here, and with it, the NBA moves ever closer to finalizing plans to resume this season.

Will the Knicks be invited to the party? My guess is no.

(For more on why, check out the latest episode of the KFS podcast right here)

https://knicksfilmschool.substack.com

Interesting read... especially the fact that Perrin, who the Knicks just hired, was in a similar situation with Utah which traded up from 6 to 3 to draft Deron Williams. The cost of that move is also very similar to what we've been discussing - 6, 27 and a late first the following year which ended up being 30.

I also agree that this is something that both parties (Knicks and Ball) will try to make happen.

I completely forgot about Detroit's and Charlotte's second round picks next year and the possibility of a team like the Warriors wanting to dump salary (Wiggins) because of everything going on.
    Last edited by smood999; 05-26-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast