Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 338
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,632
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBrotha View Post
    They went from 3 to 2 tho
    5 to 3 and weíre talking about something similar. LaMelo can be had at 3 or 4.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9,133
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Iím more worried that Edwards is a more physically gifted Dion Waiters than LaMelo completely flaming out. LaMelo is at least a high IQ player whose game isnít reliant on scoring. There are things that he does that players in the league cannot do.

    Edwards could easily be Waiters or he could be Mitchell. Neither outcome would be surprising.
    Agree. As talented as Edwards is, I see a lot of bust in there.

    I think I feel good that LaMelo at least stabilizes the PG spot, even if heís not spectacular

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,632
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Yeah I like trading back more than trading up.
    When has that ever proven to work in the NBA if itís more than 1 or 2 spots? Thereís a reason that it doesnít happen often.

    In the NFL itís considered good practice to trade down, but yet whenever a team needs a QB, they typically trade up. This past NFL draft was the first time QBs were selected without a trade up.

    The Knicks trading down in this scenario rather than up would be like an NFL team in need of a franchise QB trading back and missing out for the sake of more draft picks.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,632
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    How so? We get to keep our Top 10 lottery pick as well as all of our other picks. We can surround LaMelo and Mitch with shooters.
    Not one person has mentioned trading an additional lottery pick. We are talking about late first round picks and second round picks.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,426

    LaMelo Ball definitely tops on the Knicks draft board

    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    yea i realized you meant RJ instead of the #6.

    but RJ has more value and is already somewhat of a known quantity, trading him would be another step backwards and there's just no way we would trade him anyway so not worth discussing.
    RJ doesnít have more value than #6, #27, #38, and a Mavs pick IMO. He is not a known quantity at all, as his rookie season was bad. As for whether or not it would happen, that depends. We have a new team president and RJ may have been Mills doing, not Perryís.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,632
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    RJ for LaMelo straight up meaning we keep our lottery pick.
    The goal is to add on, not just replace players. Youíre also basically saying that LaMelo and number 6 in this draft is better than LaMelo and RJ. Thatís nuts.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,632
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    RJ doesnít have more value than #6, #27, #38, and a Mavs pick IMO. He is not a known quantity at all, as his rookie season was bad. As for whether or not it would happen, that depends. We have a new team president and RJ may have been Mills doing, not Perryís.
    The value of picks 27 and 38 is minimal. DeíAndre Hunter was essentially traded for that last year.

    Sure, itís another dart throw, but itís a dart throw with one eye closed and while stepping back about 3 more feet.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,426
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    When has that ever proven to work in the NBA if itís more than 1 or 2 spots? Thereís a reason that it doesnít happen often.

    In the NFL itís considered good practice to trade down, but yet whenever a team needs a QB, they typically trade up. This past NFL draft was the first time QBs were selected without a trade up.

    The Knicks trading down in this scenario rather than up would be like an NFL team in need of a franchise QB trading back and missing out for the sake of more draft picks.
    Just because it doesnít happen often, doesnít mean itís not smart. For example, trading back in 2017 and 2018 would have benefitted us because we would have gained additional assets even if we struck out on the pick (or we couldíve picked Mitchell & SGA).

    Franchise QBs have been found later in the draft in Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, etc.

    Cole could end up being better than LaMelo for all we know. He was thought of more highly than LaMelo before this season and now could be had around #10 or even later.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,632
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Just because it doesnít happen often, doesnít mean itís not smart. For example, trading back in 2017 and 2018 would have benefitted us because we would have gained additional assets even if we struck out on the pick (or we couldíve picked Mitchell & SGA).

    Franchise QBs have been found later in the draft in Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, etc.

    Cole could end up being better than LaMelo for all we know. He was thought of more highly than LaMelo before this season and now could be had around #10 or even later.
    Youíre talking about exceptions. Iím talking about the most likely occurrence.

    Also, trading down from even 6 to go down more than just a couple spots is different than trading down from 9.

    Lamar Jackson was a first round pick and still traded up for. If youíre an NFL team waiting to find Wilson or Prescott in the later rounds, you will be bad for a long time.
    Last edited by smood999; 05-27-2020 at 08:00 PM.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    33,792
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    RJ doesnít have more value than #6, #27, #38, and a Mavs pick IMO. He is not a known quantity at all, as his rookie season was bad. As for whether or not it would happen, that depends. We have a new team president and RJ may have been Mills doing, not Perryís.
    RJ's rookie season wasn't bad at all. He showed a lot of flashes and improved as the year went on. He also shot a respectable 32% from 3 which was his biggest knock. It's pretty clear he's going to be pretty damn good and not a bust like the #6 pick can be.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,426

    LaMelo Ball definitely tops on the Knicks draft board

    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    The value of picks 27 and 38 is minimal. DeíAndre Hunter was essentially traded for that last year.

    Sure, itís another dart throw, but itís a dart throw with one eye closed and while stepping back about 3 more feet.
    They have some value if your team can scout/develop with a little luck. Weíve had much more success in late 1st/2nd round in the last decade than weíve had in the Top 10 outside of KP which is sad.

    THJ, Mitch, Fields (looked good before nerve injury), and Dotson. The latter is probably going to leave and put up better numbers elsewhere.

    We need to find some inexpensive role players so weíre not forced to fill the roster with so many sh**ty veterans.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,426
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Youíre talking about exceptions. Iím talking about the most likely occurrence.

    Also, trading down from even 6 to go down more than just a couple spots is different than trading down from 9.

    Lamar Jackson was a first round pick and still traded up for. If youíre an NFL team waiting to find Wilson or Prescott in the later rounds, you will be bad for a long time.
    Either way, I donít think PGs come close to the value of a QB. Not even close. If FVV canít crack a Top 20, then the PG position is diluted.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    15,632
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Either way, I donít think PGs come close to the value of a QB. Not even close. If FVV canít crack a Top 20, then the PG position is diluted.
    Itís not PG vs. QB, itís a top talent vs. QB. You need blue chip talents to even have a shot at winning. They are typically found higher in the draft, which is why trading back isnít really a thing in the NBA. The team trading back canít risk trading out of range for those types of players. In this case, it would be the Knicks trading into that range.

    Thereís a world where both Ball and Hayes get taken in the top 5 btw, so donít just assume that Hayes will be there for the Knicks. This could potentially be the Knicks watching Ball and Fox go before them and then having to choose between Frank and DSJ. Even if you donít think thereís a clear gap between Ball and Hayes, thereís a clear perceived gap between those two and the rest of the PGs.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    67,426

    LaMelo Ball definitely tops on the Knicks draft board

    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    RJ's rookie season wasn't bad at all. He showed a lot of flashes and improved as the year went on. He also shot a respectable 32% from 3 which was his biggest knock. It's pretty clear he's going to be pretty damn good and not a bust like the #6 pick can be.
    32% sucks and it was on low volume. Take away his first 3 games and he shot 30%. That doesnít sound like someone who improved as the year when on. He improved on his best Shaq impression at the FT line in October/November to a well-below average 67% since December. You expect your 3rd pick to not be a bad NBA player in Year 1.

    Youíd view his season and outlook a lot differently if you werenít a Knicks fan.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    33,792
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    32% sucks and it was on low volume. Take away his first 3 games and he shot 30%. That doesnít sound like someone who improved as the year when on. He improved on his best Shaq impression at the FT line in October/November to a well-below average 67% since December. You expect your 3rd pick to not be a bad NBA player in Year 1.

    Youíd view his season and outlook a lot differently if you werenít a Knicks fan.
    he was 19 years old man... how many 19 year olds come in and are immediately good and efficient? meanwhile you're hyping up Obi who will be 23 during next season? Can you imagine how Obi would have looked in the NBA having just turned 19?

    32% and 1.1 made 3's is better than I was expecting year 1.

    you cant seriously be looking at a 19 year olds efficiency? You look for flashes, skill, effort, general understanding of the game and RJ showed a lot in those categories to me.

    He's an all star in the making.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •