Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: RIP Jerry Sloan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,065

    RIP Jerry Sloan

    Legendary Utah Jazz coach has died at age 78.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/longtime-ut...cation-brknews
    Condolences to family and friends.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    16,545
    How do we lose david stern,, Kobe and Jerry the same year what the ****

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15,484
    Rip..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    One of the greatest coaches ever. The real fundamental.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Miami Heat
    Posts
    3,932
    I know people who suffer from dementia. Truly the worst thing to witness in action. A buddy of mine lives with his grandma because no one else takes care of her. He's seen her slowly deteriorate to the point where she thinks he is a stranger in her house. I hope there is a way to reverse the progress of it. RIP to Sloan. Top ten NBA coach of all-time, easily.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    I know people who suffer from dementia. Truly the worst thing to witness in action. A buddy of mine lives with his grandma because no one else takes care of her. He's seen her slowly deteriorate to the point where she thinks he is a stranger in her house. I hope there is a way to reverse the progress of it. RIP to Sloan. Top ten NBA coach of all-time, easily.
    It really is the worst thing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,678
    Very sad. Jerry always struck me as someone so tough that he would live to 100. 30 years ago would anyone predict that Frank Layden would outlive Jerry Sloane?? Not a chance

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,195
    Was just thinking about him when I saw him on The Last Dance. Wished him well in my mind. RIP. Hated the Jazz but respected the hell out of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    How do we lose david stern,, Kobe and Jerry the same year what the ****
    Wait till you see what else 2020 has in store.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    I know people who suffer from dementia. Truly the worst thing to witness in action. A buddy of mine lives with his grandma because no one else takes care of her. He's seen her slowly deteriorate to the point where she thinks he is a stranger in her house. I hope there is a way to reverse the progress of it. RIP to Sloan. Top ten NBA coach of all-time, easily.
    My father is in the early steps of it. Its awful. My mother has been caring for him and all he wants to do is watch old westerns and The Masked Singer. Hell forget things and get mad sometimes but mostly hes just acting more and more like a child. And his mood swings.......

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    My father is in the early steps of it. Its awful. My mother has been caring for him and all he wants to do is watch old westerns and The Masked Singer. Hell forget things and get mad sometimes but mostly hes just acting more and more like a child. And his mood swings.......
    Some time when he's somewhat lucid ask him about his first girlfriend. Sometimes when they're mixed up they still remember clearly old memories, and if they are good memories they can calm them down and bring them back from the brink.

    The anger and paranoia is just the worst.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Some time when he's somewhat lucid ask him about his first girlfriend. Sometimes when they're mixed up they still remember clearly old memories, and if they are good memories they can calm them down and bring them back from the brink.

    The anger and paranoia is just the worst.
    Thanks. Ill try. Only talked by phone in the past few months because were not traveling these days.

    Unsurprisingly, he was still glowingly talking about old music (Johnny Rivers in particular) the last time we chatted in person. They say music stays with you the longest.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Thanks. Ill try. Only talked by phone in the past few months because were not traveling these days.

    Unsurprisingly, he was still glowingly talking about old music (Johnny Rivers in particular) the last time we chatted in person. They say music stays with you the longest.
    I got a record player and some Stevie Ray, the process of actually putting a record on had a big effect in calming him down for me.

    Phone calls were like walking in a mine field for me. I never knew if something would set him off, and there was no getting him back over the phone.

    In my case a lot of the anger was from remnants of what he remembered having forgotten and feeling hopeless and embarrassed. I found there was no way to explain anything away, so I just started changing the subject to something completely different. Particularly effective were reminding of stories of funny/dangerous things from his past. Like remembering laughter or danger was enough of a reset. But again, never worked over the phone so you have my utmost sympathy ... that just sucks in every way.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Thanks. Ill try. Only talked by phone in the past few months because were not traveling these days.

    Unsurprisingly, he was still glowingly talking about old music (Johnny Rivers in particular) the last time we chatted in person. They say music stays with you the longest.
    Both the auditory and olfactory areas are right next to the area of the temporal lobe where you connect stimulus to memory. It's why music and smells so often trigger memories.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •