Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: RIP Jerry Sloan

RIP Jerry Sloan

Legendary Utah Jazz coach has died at age 78.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/longtime-ut...cation-brknews
    Condolences to family and friends.

How do we lose david stern,, Kobe and Jerry the same year what the ****

Rip..

One of the greatest coaches ever. The real fundamental.

I know people who suffer from dementia. Truly the worst thing to witness in action. A buddy of mine lives with his grandma because no one else takes care of her. He's seen her slowly deteriorate to the point where she thinks he is a stranger in her house. I hope there is a way to reverse the progress of it. RIP to Sloan. Top ten NBA coach of all-time, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    I know people who suffer from dementia. Truly the worst thing to witness in action. A buddy of mine lives with his grandma because no one else takes care of her. He's seen her slowly deteriorate to the point where she thinks he is a stranger in her house. I hope there is a way to reverse the progress of it. RIP to Sloan. Top ten NBA coach of all-time, easily.
    It really is the worst thing.

Very sad. Jerry always struck me as someone so tough that he would live to 100. 30 years ago would anyone predict that Frank Layden would outlive Jerry Sloane?? Not a chance

Was just thinking about him when I saw him on The Last Dance. Wished him well in my mind. RIP. Hated the Jazz but respected the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    How do we lose david stern,, Kobe and Jerry the same year what the ****
    Wait till you see what else 2020 has in store.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    My father is in the early steps of it. Its awful. My mother has been caring for him and all he wants to do is watch old westerns and The Masked Singer. Hell forget things and get mad sometimes but mostly hes just acting more and more like a child. And his mood swings.......

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    My father is in the early steps of it. Its awful. My mother has been caring for him and all he wants to do is watch old westerns and The Masked Singer. Hell forget things and get mad sometimes but mostly hes just acting more and more like a child. And his mood swings.......
    Some time when he's somewhat lucid ask him about his first girlfriend. Sometimes when they're mixed up they still remember clearly old memories, and if they are good memories they can calm them down and bring them back from the brink.

The anger and paranoia is just the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Some time when he's somewhat lucid ask him about his first girlfriend. Sometimes when they're mixed up they still remember clearly old memories, and if they are good memories they can calm them down and bring them back from the brink.

The anger and paranoia is just the worst.
    Thanks. Ill try. Only talked by phone in the past few months because were not traveling these days.

Unsurprisingly, he was still glowingly talking about old music (Johnny Rivers in particular) the last time we chatted in person. They say music stays with you the longest.

Thanks. Ill try. Only talked by phone in the past few months because were not traveling these days.

Unsurprisingly, he was still glowingly talking about old music (Johnny Rivers in particular) the last time we chatted in person. They say music stays with you the longest.
    I got a record player and some Stevie Ray, the process of actually putting a record on had a big effect in calming him down for me.

Phone calls were like walking in a mine field for me. I never knew if something would set him off, and there was no getting him back over the phone.

In my case a lot of the anger was from remnants of what he remembered having forgotten and feeling hopeless and embarrassed. I found there was no way to explain anything away, so I just started changing the subject to something completely different. Particularly effective were reminding of stories of funny/dangerous things from his past. Like remembering laughter or danger was enough of a reset. But again, never worked over the phone so you have my utmost sympathy ... that just sucks in every way.

Both the auditory and olfactory areas are right next to the area of the temporal lobe where you connect stimulus to memory. It's why music and smells so often trigger memories.