Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I don't think he's referring to the day to day folks... I think he's referring to the people that own and profit from the nursing homes.

BTW my understanding of people that own nursing homes stems only from the plot of Say Anything, so I assume they are horrible people.
    As a Better call Saul fan i get the same impression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Because if a much higher percentage of the population is old then a much higher percentage getting sick isn't an aberration.
    The numbers are just for nursing homes.

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    The numbers are just for nursing homes.
    If the percentage of the overall population in nursing homes is higher then the sickness in nursing homes will be naturally higher.

I'm not saying that's the cause, just that I wondered what those numbers were. One number is never enough to tell a whole story.

Two different situations handled the same can result in wildly different results.

As an aside, Sweden was slow to protect their nursing home community specifically (since they chose not to implement social distancing), and lost a huge number of them, FAR above what can be explained by numbers. Spain had a higher percentage of retired people in their population which drove the death rate up above other countries. Italy had one hospital that totally blew it and made their numbers explode. It often takes time and perspective to learn what the numbers mean.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    If the percentage of the overall population in nursing homes is higher then the sickness in nursing homes will be naturally higher.

I'm not saying that's the cause, just that I wondered what those numbers were. One number is never enough to tell a whole story.

Two different situations handled the same can result in wildly different results.

As an aside, Sweden was slow to protect their nursing home community specifically (since they chose not to implement social distancing), and lost a huge number of them, FAR above what can be explained by numbers. Spain had a higher percentage of retired people in their population which drove the death rate up above other countries. Italy had one hospital that totally blew it and made their numbers explode. It often takes time and perspective to learn what the numbers mean.
    I think benny's confusion was that in response to a conversation about the denominator to understand nursing home deaths you brought up retirees not nursing home residents.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

I don't think he's referring to the day to day folks... I think he's referring to the people that own and profit from the nursing homes.

BTW my understanding of people that own nursing homes stems only from the plot of Say Anything, so I assume they are horrible people.
    Yeah, I'm talking about them as a business rather than the people trying to care for the patients. It's the responsibility of the business to figure out where to go with these people, not the hospital or the governor. Obviously, they should all be working together and these are unprecedented circumstances.

I think benny's confusion was that in response to a conversation about the denominator to understand nursing home deaths you brought up retirees not nursing home residents.
    Yep.

Cuomo and nursing home scandal

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Yeah, I'm talking about them as a business rather than the people trying to care for the patients. It's the responsibility of the business to figure out where to go with these people, not the hospital or the governor. Obviously, they should all be working together and these are unprecedented circumstances.
    Can we care for this person without endangering our staff and the other residents doesn’t inst a question that an absentee business owner should be handling imo

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Can we care for this person without endangering our staff and the other residents doesn’t inst a question that an absentee business owner should be handling imo

And should that be the case, that is a problem above and beyond this issue. buisness owners should be responsible for their businesses

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

In defense of nursing home staff (not owners), I can say that with one exception, the nursing homes I have volunteered in over the years are very hard places in which to work. For starters, the pay is low, the working conditions and hours are rough, and the turnover is high.

While residents themselves can be a difficult challenge, their relatives can be even more difficult (there’s often a lot of guilt involved in sending your loved one to a nursing facility, and some of that gets displaced onto the workers, which too often results in an adversarial relationship).

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    In defense of nursing home staff (not owners), I can say that with one exception, the nursing homes I have volunteered in over the years are very hard places in which to work. For starters, the pay is low, the working conditions and hours are rough, and the turnover is high.

While residents themselves can be a difficult challenge, their relatives can be even more difficult (there’s often a lot of guilt involved in sending your loved one to a nursing facility, and some of that gets displaced onto the workers, which too often results in an adversarial relationship).
    Its grueling, emotionally taxing work for not enough pay. I empathize with the workers being put in a very tough situation.

The people working in the memory homes are saints as far as I'm concerned. I can't deal with 1 person with memory/cognitive issues, 80 or 180 would drive me completely round the bend.

The people working in the memory homes are saints as far as I'm concerned. I can't deal with 1 person with memory/cognitive issues, 80 or 180 would drive me completely round the bend.
    Welcome to the world of those who care for elderly parents at home. I have learnt to be extremely patient and creative in dealing with it. The hardest part is watching them slip away before your eyes. It is always harder for them then it is for you because they can't enjoy life as they use to.

I hope I am able to go out with my boots on and not a diaper.

Yeah, the good staff members in those places are worth their weight in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Welcome to the world of those who care for elderly parents at home. I have learnt to be extremely patient and creative in dealing with it. The hardest part is watching them slip away before your eyes. It is always harder for them then it is for you because they can't enjoy life as they use to.

I hope I am able to go out with my boots on and not a diaper.

Yeah, the good staff members in those places are worth their weight in gold.
    I've done it for my grandparents and one parent ... I could barely handle them, handling 80 of them is a whole new level.

I've done it for my grandparents and one parent ... I could barely handle them, handling 80 of them is a whole new level.
    Agree, that why I said what I said. Just doing right by my mom is taxing but to handle that many. Still handling one 24/7 and the emotional attachment is taxing as you well know. So don't downplay your role as a caregiver.
    Last edited by WES445; 05-23-2020 at 08:25 PM.

https://apnews.com/681479be1d9f1a0fea4d64b1a44d5b9e

Testing in Nursing homes

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678