Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Dwight Howard is criminally underrated

Dude didn't even get an honorable mention in the latest ESPN ranks. Its not the first time I've seen a major publication snub him either, he didn't make Bleacher Reports list of like 95 players last year.
    Slam did do a top 500 in 2011 and had him 86th, Bill Simmons unveiled his pyramid around that same time and had him 78.

Here are the Centers ESPN ranked ahead of him:

Artis Gilmore - Has the longevity but what did he ever do with it? Dude was on some pretty poor defenses during an era where bigmen could really influence their teams ranks defensively.

Dikembe Mutombo - I love Deke as much as anyone who has ever wanted to sex Mutombo, hes arguably the greatest defender ever but we give Dwight **** for allegedly being a bad offensive player, whats that make Deke?

Bob Lanier - IDK, never really saw much on him but Im not seeing the numbers nor the accolades to justify the decision.

Alonzo is ranked 63 so thats about where we should stop searching but even then they have Rodman, Parish, Unseld, McAdoo, Elvin Hayes as bigs ahead of him

What gives? What am I missing here?

1 word. Reputation.

defense doesnt matter to people when it comes to basketball even though playing defense in basketball is more important than any other sport when it comes to 1 individual.

He's just always been a mental midget. There's a reason he's been on 5 teams in as many years. He had a good run with Orlando in a system tailor made for him, outside of that, dude has been pretty underwhelming the rest of his career.

Agreed. Dwight could have been Bill Russell had he applied himself to his full potential however. Though just because he didn't live up to his potential, he still deserves to be on that list more than a number of those guys. The ones you listed for sure.

No he's not underrated. He's a debatable Top 100 player in the history of the game, but he's not top 50 or top 70. He was overrated during his peak and while I'd agree that statistically he has been very good, that doesn't really mean much in the long game. There's a bunch of players with double double average as well. He had a good stretch from 2007 to 2012, but he didn't sustain his level outside Orlando and he wasn't a consideration for any All-NBA team, not even 3rd, after his 29th birthday.

The only thing that makes him stand out was that he was playing center in a time where no team had their most prolific player be a center. And he was really a Power Forward, he didn't have proper center moves offensively but he was solid defensively. But when you are compared with guys like Tyson Chandler and Joakim Noah who are average in the all time spectrum and you don't really stand out defensively, then you have no argument being in the top 50 or 70 players in the league of all time.

Even all those years leading the league in rebounding, while impressive, do not say much when he was an athletic center with no real competition in his position and almost all PFs started playing further outside, losing their #s to SFs and others. Look at his main competition during his peak. Al Horford, Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez, Tyson Chandler, for a brief moment a 37-39 year old Shaq, a short lived Andrew Bynum, an ever shorter lived Greg Oden. You could argue that Duncan was a center but he was playing PF, so you must decide that if Howard should be considered a C then Duncan is a PF.

This was an underwhelming period for centers and this reflects to his all time status. The second half of the past decade has seen an influx of bigs from Europe as well as some new local talent, but apart from Anthony Davis no one

Elvin Hayes was the most complete PF until the McHale came along and a lock for top 3 PF ever until the 90s, not sure why you even mention him here.

It's ironic that Howard is one of the three NBA players from that 2008-2012 period between the two Olympic sides that I have bought a jersey of at the time [the others being Rose and Melo], I really appreciated the guy, but looking back he was not an elite player. Otherwise he'd be great until his early 30s at least and in different environments. He was a product of his time and competition and offensively he was very limited to be considered a top 10 center ever. Someone like Mutombo was also limited, but defensively he was multiple times better than Howard who dominated an era as the one eyed man who became king.

If you wish to talk about how overrated Giannis is or some other new blood, then sure, we can have that discussion.

But Howard is not criminally underrated, if anything I haven't seen the Nate Thurmond on the list and that's a guy is a lock for top 10 center of all time and I can argue that Walt Bellamy and Brad Daugherty also deserve to be in consideration for top 10 centers of all time,with a weaker claim than someone like Bob Lanier or Artis Gilmore, but definitely a stronger one than Howard. Daugherty lacks the longevity, but Howard has never reached this guy's short lived level. But if you want to value longevity, sure, leave Daugherty out, but you cannot put the others above Dwight Howard.

Once he got punked by Kobe that's when you knew he wasn't a superstar.
    HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    He's just always been a mental midget. There's a reason he's been on 5 teams in as many years. He had a good run with Orlando in a system tailor made for him, outside of that, dude has been pretty underwhelming the rest of his career.
    This^^

I'm also a bit Overrated-camp when it comes to Dwight Howard. That system worked for him because they had spacing around him and a PG that could run the PnR like no ones business. So for Dwight life was catch lobs and execute putbacks. Defensively they played to keep guys off the wings and funnel into the paint so all drives were coming straight to him.

Then Dwight decided he wanted to carry the load offensively. But never worked on post moves, foot work, ball handling, or anything he needed to. His defense started to show cracks because of this. Then the injuries started at about this time.

He was what Rudy Gobert is today.

Dwight Howard is the largest, most in shape human I have ever seen in person. Dude is chiseled.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Dwight Howard is the largest, most in shape human I have ever seen in person. Dude is chiseled.

Its part of the narrative that resulted from him having unrealistic expectations and also forcing his way out of Orlando. Hes a great player and is good offensively, but hes criticized for not being on the level of Shaq or some other hall of fame center on offense. He has sometimes seemed unlikable, and so a lot of people generally want to bash him particularly the media. The reality is that he had several years in Orlando of being one of the best players in the NBA, and was mostly good in all his other stops but had injuries that hampered his play and caused him to lose athleticism, one of his biggest strengths.

Hes no Rick Smits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Once he got punked by Kobe that's when you knew he wasn't a superstar.
    Also got dunked on by him pretty badly his rookie year lol. Not going to keep him out of the Hall of Fame though. I mean, look how badly Jordan dunked on Ewing and Ewing is still a HOP player and easily top 50 or so.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast