Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Essential workers getting paid close to minimum wage are also taking a risk, much more of one considering they are interacting with the public.
    True and those people should be getting hazard pay. I think we all agree about that. Its a sin they aren't but that's the federal government and private business for you. All I'm saying is you're asking the players to take on all the risk. Some added incentive might give them reason to.

Essential workers getting paid close to minimum wage are also taking a risk, much more of one considering they are interacting with the public.
    ....and if they had millions in the bank like Snell and Bauer, they sure as **** wouldn't be taking that risk (which is the smart approach). You're comparing apples and oranges.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    True and those people should be getting hazard pay. I think we all agree about that. Its a sin they aren't but that's the federal government and private business for you. All I'm saying is you're asking the players to take on all the risk. Some added incentive might give them reason to.
    Absolutely. I'm of the opinion that Snell came off as a bit of a hypocrite and a douche. I'm also of the opinion that he had some great points that I fully agree with.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Last edited by otatop; 05-15-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: these billionaire boots sure taste great

harper was talking to a fan while playing fortnite and basically agreed with snell and saying the same thing while loving the dude for having the balls to speak out

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/b...ing-the-truth/

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    Why did you delete your post?

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    harper was talking to a fan while playing fortnite and basically agreed with snell and saying the same thing while loving the dude for having the balls to speak out

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/b...ing-the-truth/
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    ^^^^

Absolutely. I'm of the opinion that Snell came off as a bit of a hypocrite and a douche. I'm also of the opinion that he had some great points that I fully agree with.
    Absolutely agree with you spliff. Definitely not mutually exclusive - he did sound like a douche and he did make some good points. The execution was just a bit off..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Snell came off as entitled, a wannabe rapper, and completely dense.

And it's hilarious he talked about the risk of 'the rona' as he called it, after two months ago saying 'if I get it, I get it'. Now it's an issue?

Look, owners need to negotiate in good faith, and I agree. And I'm the first to call out that these players don't actually make the huge salaries we see, and that the majority of the MLB players don't make insane money. Snell's 2020 take home was going to be around $2.7-3M, now it'll be less than $2M.

But at a time when healthcare workers are putting their lives at risk for $60K a year, he needs to STFU about 'getting his' and shut up and play.

If his gripe was about the owners negotiation tactics, I would understand that better. But he just sounded greedy. Ready to sit at home and play the Show if he doesn't get what he wants (take his ball and go home).
    fair enough but if i am a player the owners/gms/top executives/commish all better be at the games/traveling with the teams and staying at the hotels as well... no private jet ********

....and if they had millions in the bank like Snell and Bauer, they sure as **** wouldn't be taking that risk (which is the smart approach). You're comparing apples and oranges.
    These guys are getting paid millions to play the game. To provide some hope and normalcy for people, I think they can forgo the money that they already gave up when this went down. Maybe we can bump some of the minimum-salary players, or give them rent-free facilities or something similar. I definitely think there is room to discuss some sort of incentives for the players. But for them to pretend that they would be experiencing anything similar to essential workers, whether it's a supermarket or hospital, is pretty ridiculous.

The owners should realize the same responsibility that they have in regards to providing people will hope and normalcy as well.

These guys are getting paid millions to play the game. To provide some hope and normalcy for people, I think they can forgo the money that they already gave up when this went down. Maybe we can bump some of the minimum-salary players, or give them rent-free facilities or something similar. I definitely think there is room to discuss some sort of incentives for the players. But for them to pretend that they would be experiencing anything similar to essential workers, whether it's a supermarket or hospital, is pretty ridiculous.

The owners should realize the same responsibility that they have in regards to providing people will hope and normalcy as well.
    ....and the owners are making even more than them. They could avoid the attempted reneg for the same reasons you just mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Snell came off as entitled, a wannabe rapper, and completely dense.

And it's hilarious he talked about the risk of 'the rona' as he called it, after two months ago saying 'if I get it, I get it'. Now it's an issue?

Look, owners need to negotiate in good faith, and I agree. And I'm the first to call out that these players don't actually make the huge salaries we see, and that the majority of the MLB players don't make insane money. Snell's 2020 take home was going to be around $2.7-3M, now it'll be less than $2M.

But at a time when healthcare workers are putting their lives at risk for $60K a year, he needs to STFU about 'getting his' and shut up and play.

If his gripe was about the owners negotiation tactics, I would understand that better. But he just sounded greedy. Ready to sit at home and play the Show if he doesn't get what he wants (take his ball and go home).
    Idk this is a bad take. Two months ago, the situation was vastly different than it is today. I also assume that many people, myself included has shifted perspectives in one way or another. People are going to change their minds when more evidence is presented to them, thatís how this works.

Snell getting his millions of dollars doesnít change the fact that healthcare workers arenít. Itís not like the salaries are going to be donated to hospitals and essential workers. Itís like complaining about people collecting unemployment because your small business is failing...the problem isnít the people collecting unemployment, itís the governments ineptitude to take care of businesses.

He doesnít seem greedy to me. I mean, how many players donate X amount to charity and will end up donating less because they make less? Players are already taking a prorated salary and now owners want to prorate the prorated salary...Every worker has a right to expect safe working conditions and fair pay.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

The part that kills me is the "risk" they are talking about. That same risk is bigger for a lot more people around the world who make a lot less money to go to work to provide essential things for people. Imagine if all of the farmers around the world were like **** it, I don't make enough to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    For some reason I canít seem to find a date on that website.

Regardless, ďSometimes a hypocrite is nothing more than a man in the process of changing.Ē - Brandon Sanderson

I agree with his point, though regardless of hypocrisy. Players signed contracts, they should get paid their full amount imo. Iíll never side with the bourgeoisie over the proletariat. Viva la revolucion.
    The piece was written March 11, just after MLB decided to shut stuff down.
    I agree that players should receive their entire salaries and the league should foot the bill, not just individual teams. MLB, as a company, has a huge "war chest" to draw from. All salaries this season could be paid out of that chest and teams could help their stadium employees financially.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    The part that kills me is the "risk" they are talking about. That same risk is bigger for a lot more people around the world who make a lot less money to go to work to provide essential things for people. Imagine if all of the farmers around the world were like **** it, I don't make enough to risk it.
    And those people should be getting hazard pay. I and others have repeated that multiple times. Essential front line workers should be making more than their regular salary. Bus drivers, grocery store workers, doctors, nurses, direct care, etc, etc should be seeing more money.

Again, there is no risk for the owners. Those guys sit on their multi million dollar yachts or in their mansions watching from afar. The players are the ones assuming risk playing a game that doesn't need to be played.

Look at it this way. Manfred said baseball will lose 4 billion dollars this year if they don't play. Whats throwing a 100 million dollars into escrow in comparison? What is giving players more than their pro-rated salaries going to do? I understand the players lose that money too if they don't play but many seem willing to deal with that if it keeps them safe.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast