Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Rays ace Blake Snell says he refuses to play for reduced MLB salary

Tampa Bay Rays ace Blake Snell says he will not play this season for a reduced salary, especially because the risk of contracting the coronavirus is "just not worth it."

Snell voiced his opposition to Major League Baseball's reported proposal of a 50-50 revenue split with the players for a coronavirus-shortened season in a video posted to social media Wednesday.

"Y'all gotta understand, man, for me to go -- for me to take a pay cut is not happening, because the risk is through the roof," Snell said while answering questions on his Twitch channel. "It's a shorter season, less pay.

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...inkId=88617067

PSD: Where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

I dont blame him for that sentiment? Since the owners keep every cent of asset appreciation (the value of the team) why dont they volunteer to take the full hit and pay the players the actual prorated amount - half their salary for half the games. That's not what they are offering up.

The very hypocritical part of it is this though:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tam...outputType=amp

Either he's had a major change of heart or he's just using a convenient excuse for why he won't compromise when it comes to his paycheck.

PSD: Where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post

Either he's had a major change of heart or he's just using a convenient excuse for why he won't compromise when it comes to his paycheck.
    For some reason I can’t seem to find a date on that website.

Regardless, “Sometimes a hypocrite is nothing more than a man in the process of changing.” - Brandon Sanderson

I agree with his point, though regardless of hypocrisy. Players signed contracts, they should get paid their full amount imo. I’ll never side with the bourgeoisie over the proletariat. Viva la revolucion.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

That says March 11, which was before some states even went into lockdown. Now that we have 2 months of info, I would assume it was a change of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

Regardless, “Sometimes a hypocrite is nothing more than a man in the process of changing.” - Brandon Sanderson

I agree with his point, though regardless of hypocrisy. Players signed contracts, they should get paid their full amount imo. I’ll never side with the bourgeoisie over the proletariat. Viva la revolucion.
    Not if their contract indicates that paycuts can be reduced for certain reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

Snell is far from a proletariat.

Why should he get paid the full amount if he only works half a season? What a POS he is..

Just scrap the season at this point. Bunch of overpaid *******s!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Just scrap the season at this point. Bunch of overpaid *******s!
    It would be fun to see them cancel the season and see players go play in Japan or South Korea. I know their contracts probably wouldn't allow them, but I think about when the NHL had a lockout years back and players were able to play in Europe.

ESPN did a what-if piece on if Trout played in South Korea how he would do.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ut-kbo-numbers
    But what would happen if we sent our best player to play in Korea? What would a Mike Trout -- or, more accurately, the Mike Trout -- be able to put up numbers-wise in Korea?

The Lost Boys of PSD

Snell is far from a proletariat.
    When talking about millionaires and billionaires, the millionaires are closer to proles.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Why should he get paid the full amount if he only works half a season? What a POS he is..
    He's not saying he should get the full amount for half the season, he's saying he wants his prorated salary, not some ******** revenue sharing deal that lets owners split losses with players.
    Last edited by otatop; 05-14-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    When talking about millionaires and billionaires, the millionaires are closer to proles.

He's not saying he should get the full amount for half the season, he's saying he wants his prorated salary, not some ******** revenue sharing deal that lets owners split losses with players.
    Being closer to a prole than someone else does not make one a prole. Though I get the point both of you are making. I'm simply not going to sit here and feel sorry for either side of this equation.

If you don't want to play and risk it, don't play.

I don't think it's right what the owners are doing, but when that deal was reached, neither the owners nor players were aware of how the situation would unfold.

I don't feel bad for the billionaire owners, nor do I feel bad for the millionaire players.

Let those who want to play, play. As long as health officials are okay with it.

Let the minor leaguers play if they want to, I'd find that more entertaining anyway. They make less money and would still create some cash flow for ownership because people would tune in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post

He clearly states he wants the full amount.

Trevor Bauer weighing in as well in a similar fashion:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast