Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 90
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    21,343
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    ftfy
    just wanted to push your buttons a bit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    its still risk though... these are athletes that do not need to do anything except sit home and they are fine so why should they risk their health if their pay is getting cut? comparing them to lesser paid jobs means nothing and has meant nothing... should baseball players ever get paid more then cops/fireman etc? of course not but they do.
    Mike_Noodles argument is both a Red Herring and a Straw Man. It is totally irrelevant if farmers and police officers take more risk. This is simply a labor negotiation relative to their sport specific dynamic, not who deserves more because of the job danger. Some players (not all) are saying to play for such a small percentage of their income (now a 50 50 split of a greatly reduced pie) there is no compelling reason to play.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13,387
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Mike_Noodles argument is both a Red Herring and a Straw Man. It is totally irrelevant if farmers and police officers take more risk. This is simply a labor negotiation relative to their sport specific dynamic, not who deserves more because of the job danger. Some players (not all) are saying to play for such a small percentage of their income (now a 50 50 split of a greatly reduced pie) there is no compelling reason to play.
    My argument may not be the best comparison. But he still comes off as an entitled douche that has no grasp on the current reality.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    34,983
    I'm not one who usually sides with billionaire owners.

    But, if this is true, makes the players and union look bad.

    https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/mlb-th...-with-players/

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,954
    How? Just because the original deal calls out the owners want to renegotiate if games are played in empty stadiums doesn't mean the players need to just bow to the will of the owners now that it's a reality.

    At the end of the day, the players are taking the most risk and sacrificing the most. In any scenario that requires lock down of the league, they may be giving up freedom and time with family, even if their immediate family is allowed to be with them. Any scenario where they aren't required to face any more lockdown than society as a whole results in added risk of exposure. And truthfully no one truly knows the long term impact of this virus and we don't know every players situation, whether they or their family are care takers for anyone who is higher risk.

    The owners take on none of that risk. They are strictly taking financial risk, but now their proposal is basically saying we'll mitigate our financial risk by making sure revenue is an even split and you players can take on the rest of the risk.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15,478

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15,478
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    How? Just because the original deal calls out the owners want to renegotiate if games are played in empty stadiums doesn't mean the players need to just bow to the will of the owners now that it's a reality.

    At the end of the day, the players are taking the most risk and sacrificing the most. In any scenario that requires lock down of the league, they may be giving up freedom and time with family, even if their immediate family is allowed to be with them. Any scenario where they aren't required to face any more lockdown than society as a whole results in added risk of exposure. And truthfully no one truly knows the long term impact of this virus and we don't know every players situation, whether they or their family are care takers for anyone who is higher risk.

    The owners take on none of that risk. They are strictly taking financial risk, but now their proposal is basically saying we'll mitigate our financial risk by making sure revenue is an even split and you players can take on the rest of the risk.
    Then if the players are scared they shouldnít play.. Donít ***** about not getting paid what you want when millions of people have lost their jobs.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Then if the players are scared they shouldnít play.. Donít ***** about not getting paid what you want when millions of people have lost their jobs.
    The owners should just be patriotic and foot the bill, correct? Why blame the players when the owners could just as easily eat the cash cost this year. They will make it up on the back end with their ever appreciating asset.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    37,307
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Then if the players are scared they shouldnít play.. Donít ***** about not getting paid what you want when millions of people have lost their jobs.
    So the billionaire owners are the good guys? Seriously? Look, there's nothing wrong with that Crewfan said. The players are taking on all the risk and making all the sacrifices. There's a good chance you're asking many of these guys not to see their wives and families for 3 or 4 months while they are sequestered in a hotel somewhere. If the owners want these guys to play, they should make a better offer. Its not a big deal.

    Professional sports don't operate in the vacuum of "well they make millions, they should be happy with whatever is thrown at them because so many people are out of work". That's not how things operate when you're talking about something that makes close to 10 billion dollars a year.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15,478
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    So the billionaire owners are the good guys? Seriously? Look, there's nothing wrong with that Crewfan said. The players are taking on all the risk and making all the sacrifices. There's a good chance you're asking many of these guys not to see their wives and families for 3 or 4 months while they are sequestered in a hotel somewhere. If the owners want these guys to play, they should make a better offer. Its not a big deal.

    Professional sports don't operate in the vacuum of "well they make millions, they should be happy with whatever is thrown at them because so many people are out of work". That's not how things operate when you're talking about something that makes close to 10 billion dollars a year.
    If theyíre scared of getting sick or donít want to be away from their family then donít play but donít sit here and whine about the money you wonít be getting.. Iím tired of hearing about them taking all the risk too.. Thereís not going to be any fans so thereís minimal risk.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15,478
    And they wonít be making 10 billion this year..

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    And they wonít be making 10 billion this year..
    You guys fall for this owner BS every time. What a Pavlovian response you have. It's simple. The owners need to make a better deal.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    15,478
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    You guys fall for this owner BS every time. What a Pavlovian response you have. It's simple. The owners need to make a better deal.
    And youíre infatuated with millionaire ball players who couldnít possibly give 2 ***** about the fans..

  14. #74
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    48,356
    My dad could beat up both of your dads.

    PSD: Where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    34,006
    I've always argued that the owners deserve their piece of the pie because there the ones that make the capital investment and therefore maintain all of the financial risk.

    Now that the risk is actually being realized, I don't think it's right that they're trying to share the downside with the players. It defeats the purpose of what I think their slice of the pie was for before.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •