Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I think it's smart to consider from the standpoints you pointed out, but mostly I don't think his value will get any higher than it is now.

I'm not sure that would work for Gobert (my thoughts notwithstanding), mostly because they are somewhat of a glut there. Granted they do have Ed Davis as a backup who could start, but they are quite thin there.

Turner - The Pacers are being a little strange on that one, and I've read some things that they would be more interested in moving Dipo right now rather than one of those bags. (I don't get it by W/E). But they are another team without Sabonis or Turner is really thin with bigs.

John Collins would seem like a possibility. And for the Hawks it would be smart to surround Trae with guys like Smart who can really defend well and help 'hide' him on the defensive side.

Markkanen is the least likely Bull to move IMO. Everything I've read points to him being in their long term solution.

I would bet the Nets do that, but they are stupid for giving into Kyrie and KD wanting DeAndre on that team. Allen would have been a good starter and could have given them extra money for elsewhere.

I was looking at a way to see some type of 3 way deal involving Dallas. It would be interesting to see Smart paired with Doncic and Porzingas.
    The name to watch in Utah is Tony Bradley. He can step in for Gobert if they move him IMO. They'd need a backup center though, which is why I sent them Theis. I think their issue with a Smart/Theis/#17 pick return would be that they need a more offensive minded backup PG than Smart. They just don't have enough shot creation. I think that would probably have to be a 3 team deal where Smart goes to another team offering up a shot creator.

I actually totally get why IND is reluctant to move Turner. They have such a deep and balanced team. They have a ton of perimeter talent in not just Oladipo/Brogden, but TJ Warren, Jeremy Lamb, Doug McDermott, Aaron Holiday. They don't necessarily need to balance their roster. They have plenty of balance. Turner/Sabonis can play together though there are draw backs but they can line up their rotation to build a bunch of favorable combinations.

Collins is interesting. ATL was making him more of a 5 this year and hyping up his defensive improvements, but the fact they traded for Capela is kind of telling there. In BOS, not sure he's the best fit. I think his scoring would be marginalized playing with Kemba/Brown/Hayward/Tatum and not sure he brings what we need on the other end of the court. But it'd be a good value trade. Maybe a 3 team deal?

Rumors on Markennan seem all over the place. Same reasons why Collins might be a tough fit in BOS I think Markannen could be as well. But again, I just think that would be great value.

I agree that it was dumb for the Nets to sign Jordan. But if Durant/Kyrie want to sign with you I guess you don't push back, especially "moody" guys like them.

DAL I think would be perfect for Smart but I just don't see the value lining up.

I think a Smart trade could be worked out with a pick. This is considered a weak draft for star power at the top. It's also considered a small draft through the 1st depth wise. I could see that lining up well for a Smart/#17 package getting you up in the mid lottery with the right team.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Good. They should do it permanently. NBA being the only sport to draft before FA is just so stupid. My opinion is half the drafting issue is that teams look at the draft coming first and they need to fill holes via the draft because there's no guarantee they'll get it via FA.

Now I know it's easy to say "yea but teams will still reach because of not having the position filled." Sure, but those numbers will be reduced. I think back to the Heat drafting Shabazz Napier, and it was linked to LeBron liking him and talking highly of them, so they draft him thinking LeBron will resign with them due to it. For the Heat, wouldn't it have been nice to know you don't have LeBron and take someone that you see fitting your team?

I also think to a situation like the Kevin Love trade. If Lebron signed with Cleveland before the draft, they would be able to trade the #1 pick without a player attached to it to Minnesota. Maybe they see Embiid's foot and draft him anyways. Maybe they like Parker in their evaluation better than Wiggins. Maybe they liked Aaron Gordon or Julius Randle much better. In 2017 possibly the Sixers-Celtics 1/3 swap never happens because possibly in FA the Sixers are able to sign a PG/SF that can play off ball and on ball like they envisioned for Fultz at the time. Then the Sixers feel no need to move up. Heck maybe they drop back some instead.

Having FA first alters the draft in so many ways for the better that they need to make it a permanent change.

So I think I got a couple of options lined up here:

OPTION 1:
    Sixers In: Buddy Heild
    Jazz In: Al Horford, 2021 Kings 2nd, 2022 Sixers 2nd
    Kings In: Rudy Gobert, Furkan Korkmaz, 2020 Sixers 1st, 2022 Swap with Sixers

I would imagine there needs to be something extra going to the Jazz, but if they deem the situation is irredeemable between Gobert/Mitchell, then they likely would be willing to take a talent loss to get out of that situation because I would bet that they prefer to keep Mitchell.
    Even if the situation is completely effed and zero chance that those two ever play together again I would rather just sit on Rudy's contract then take Al horford in for 2 2nd's.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    Even if the situation is completely effed and zero chance that those two ever play together again I would rather just sit on Rudy's contract then take Al horford in for 2 2nd's.
    Fair enough. Maybe adding some 1sts would make it work.

I dont believe the hype on the 2020 NBA Free agency. With AD most likely re-upping with the Lakers & all the top RFA's possibly resigning/getting offers matched, this is the exact.

Notable 2020 unrestricted free agents
    Paul Millsap
    Fred VanVleet
    Jae Crowder
    Montrezl Harrell
    Hassan Whiteside
    Marc Gasol
    Serge Ibaka
    Danilo Gallinari
    Jeff Teague
    Derrick Favors
    Kent Bazemore
    Goran Dragic
    Joe Harris
    Marcus Morris
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Davis Bertans
    Jordan Clarkson
    Tristan Thompson
    Reggie Jackson

Notable 2020 restricted free agents *Red most likely will resign/contract offer matched.
    Brandon Ingram
    Kris Dunn
    Bogdan Bogdanovic
    Dario Saric

Thon Maker
    Malik Beasley

Notable 2020-21 player options. * Green players will most likely opted out for MAX DEAL
    Gordon Hayward ($32 million)
    DeMar DeRozan ($27.8 million)
    Otto Porter Jr. ($26.6 million)
    Anthony Davis ($25.4 million)
    Andre Drummond ($25.4 million)

Nicolas Batum ($24 million)
    Tim Hardaway Jr. ($17.7 million)
    Evan Fournier ($17 million)
    James Johnson ($14.4 million)
    Kelly Olynyk ($12.5 million)
    Tony Snell ($11.5 million)
    Jerami Grant ($9.1 million) *Opted out for more $$/years
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope ($8.2 million)

Lakers don't have much maneuvering room. After their players with POs (Rondo, McGee & KCP) assuredly pick up their options (not including whatever AD does - picking up option or declining and resigning for max), we won't have any available cap space. We will only have our full non tax payers MLE & room exception. Them 2 and vet minimum contracts.

We don't hold any kind of bird rights for either Howard or Morris so resigning them have to come out our exceptions. Resigning both are at the top of my importance list. I'm hoping they can both be resigned with our MLE leaving us with our room exception. Offer the room exception to Augustin.

As for trades, not much going on. Stanley Johnson has been a total bust in Toronto. Don't think him and the coach get along. But I also don't see him not picking up his PO ($3.8 million). Cook is at $3 million for us but only $1 million is guaranteed, I'd offer Cook straight up for Johnson.

Bradley, Augustin, Rondo
    Green, KCP, Caruso
    LBJ, Kuzma, Johnson
    AD, Morris
    McGee, Howard

Other trades I would look into is Caruso, McGee & #29 for Rose. Give up a little more if needed but not much. Detroit isn't going anywhere with or without Rose. He only has another year or 2 max of very good play.

Or Rondo & Cook to Philly for Mike Scott. I read last season that Philly was looking to trade for a shooter, Cook isn't all that but we're only talking about Scott. IMO Rondo would be a great mentor for Simmons.

I think we're good, no major moves to be made. Just some tweaking with the bench.

As for trades by other teams that I believe would help out both teams:

Simmons for Beal
    Horford & a 1st for either Love or Aldridge - I just think both Love and Aldridge are better fits.
    Wiggins for Otto Porter - IMO Porter would be a better fit in GS. Then re-sign him for half that.

If Milwaukee gets no guarantees from Giannis on an extension and GS gets the #1 pick - Wiggins, #1 and two future 1sts for Giannis. Milwaukee would have to think about it

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Is Smart/Theis/#17 pick a competitive offer for Rudy Gobert? Could that package get Myles Turner? The Hawks have talked about moving John Collins - would that work? How about Lauri Markannen in CHI? Smart was one of the guys who seemed to have a good relationship with Kyrie so what about Jarret Allen in BRK?

Ultimately, I think the time could be right for Boston to consider it.
    not even close(gobert), not even close(Turner), They only really want to Collins cause he had made it pretty clear he wants a Max contract and I doubt the celitcs would want to pay that, I have no idea on what the bulls are going to do with Lauri-he has been very mediocre this season, Jarrett Allen is interesting because it sure seems like the Nets really want to start Deandre.

I think there’s a few team out there that would like him. I know Miami goes big game hunting yearly but he would be a nice get for them to pair with Bam. As you said GSW. San Antonio if they don’t rebuild.

I think the narrative around Horford has been overblown due to him playing out of position and being asked to do things that aren’t his strengths. I’d be almost willing to bet if we traded him at a loss or amnesty him and he plays well the narrative would quickly become the “stupid Sixers doing their usual mess up” pretty quickly.
    IMO San Antonio could be a very good trade partner to help their rebuild if you guys were willing to include a couple of draft picks (really only 1 meaningful).

Something like: Horford, 2nd from LAL (no value since it's gonna be the 2nd to last pick in the draft), and a 1st (hopefully OKCs this coming draft if not next season's) FOR Gay & Mills (both expiring)

Why for Philly? They get out of Horfords contract and it only costed them a late 1st and meaningless 2nd. They get 2 solid vets to replace him. IMO talent wise (not including the draft picks) Philly wins on team impact from both players vrs only Horford. Gay is a better fit then Horford IMO. If nothing else, they would have 2 expiring they could use at next season's TD.

Why for SA? It's no longer if SA needs to rebuild but rather when does SA begin to rebuild. In 2 seasons they're gonna have a boatload of money but they aren't a free agent hotbed so they're just gonna end up over paying free agents just to get to the salary cap floor. Taking on Horfords contract (which IMO is probably the worst in the league) shouldn't be a problem, just that Philly has to make it worth it for them. No way do they get a 1st for Gay and Mills at any other time I don't think. Also, Horford seems like a Popovich guy.

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    As for trades by other teams that I believe would help out both teams:

Simmons for Beal
    Horford & a 1st for either Love or Aldridge - I just think both Love and Aldridge are better fits.
    Wiggins for Otto Porter - IMO Porter would be a better fit in GS. Then re-sign him for half that.

If Milwaukee gets no guarantees from Giannis on an extension and GS gets the #1 pick - Wiggins, #1 and two future 1sts for Giannis. Milwaukee would have to think about it
    I don't mind the Horford-Love swap but I'm not into the giving up a 1st along with that. Mostly because it isn't a big win other than shaving a year off the contract. It perpetuates the issue of fit because Love is a minus defender, Harris still would have to play the 3. It does help a bit on the offensive side giving a floor spacer though.

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    IMO San Antonio could be a very good trade partner to help their rebuild if you guys were willing to include a couple of draft picks (really only 1 meaningful).

Something like: Horford, 2nd from LAL (no value since it's gonna be the 2nd to last pick in the draft), and a 1st (hopefully OKCs this coming draft if not next season's) FOR Gay & Mills (both expiring)

Why for Philly? They get out of Horfords contract and it only costed them a late 1st and meaningless 2nd. They get 2 solid vets to replace him. IMO talent wise (not including the draft picks) Philly wins on team impact from both players vrs only Horford. Gay is a better fit then Horford IMO. If nothing else, they would have 2 expiring they could use at next season's TD.

Why for SA? It's no longer if SA needs to rebuild but rather when does SA begin to rebuild. In 2 seasons they're gonna have a boatload of money but they aren't a free agent hotbed so they're just gonna end up over paying free agents just to get to the salary cap floor. Taking on Horfords contract (which IMO is probably the worst in the league) shouldn't be a problem, just that Philly has to make it worth it for them. No way do they get a 1st for Gay and Mills at any other time I don't think. Also, Horford seems like a Popovich guy.
    I'm not sure I love that but I don't hate it. The spot that I don't love it from is because they are both expiring and it wouldn't take us under the cap we would need to hope that Mills is willing to resign with us to make giving up that 1st a value thing.

Although I though of a potential trade that could work:
    Al Horford, OKC 1st, 2022 1st for Tim Hardaway Jr and Maxi Kleber

Dallas would get a really good center fit with Kristaps Porzingas and Luka Doncic, giving them a guy that can help control things in the half court, open things up for Porz, and be a great vet leader for the two of them. Sixers would get a sold bench PF/C in Kleber, and THJ is the replacement starter for Horford, so the starting lineup starts to make more sense. Neither team really 'wins' from a cap aspect because all contracts are almost the same length, but Dallas gets draft flexibility with the 2 1sts.

Dallas:
    Doncic
    Seth Curry
    Finney-Smith
    Porzingas
    Horford

Sixers:
    Simmons
    Hardaway Jr
    Richardson
    Harris
    Embiid

I don't mind the Horford-Love swap but I'm not into the giving up a 1st along with that. Mostly because it isn't a big win other than shaving a year off the contract. It perpetuates the issue of fit because Love is a minus defender, Harris still would have to play the 3. It does help a bit on the offensive side giving a floor spacer though.

I'm not sure I love that but I don't hate it. The spot that I don't love it from is because they are both expiring and it wouldn't take us under the cap we would need to hope that Mills is willing to resign with us to make giving up that 1st a value thing.

Although I though of a potential trade that could work:
    Al Horford, OKC 1st, 2022 1st for Tim Hardaway Jr and Maxi Kleber

Dallas would get a really good center fit with Kristaps Porzingas and Luka Doncic, giving them a guy that can help control things in the half court, open things up for Porz, and be a great vet leader for the two of them. Sixers would get a sold bench PF/C in Kleber, and THJ is the replacement starter for Horford, so the starting lineup starts to make more sense. Neither team really 'wins' from a cap aspect because all contracts are almost the same length, but Dallas gets draft flexibility with the 2 1sts.

Dallas:
    Doncic
    Seth Curry
    Finney-Smith
    Porzingas
    Horford

Sixers:
    Simmons
    Hardaway Jr
    Richardson
    Harris
    Embiid
    I'm not sure Dallas would be interested in 2 late 1sts as a team that's going full rebuild mode would be. Dallas has their 2 cornerstones in Doncic & Porz. The salaries aren't close like you say, Hardaway will be an expiring freeing them up an additional $20 million for the 2021 free agency. If Porz can stay healthy and Doncic improves just a bit they could be a very attractive place for a free agent. Gobert, Drummond & Adams will all be UFAs and will all probably go for less then the $27 million that Horford will get.

Horford was just a terrible signing, I never understood it. Reminds of the Deng & Mozgov signings by the Lakers. Not saying Horford is just a stiff but at this point in his career he is serviceable to solid. Not an impact player. Dallas could get a serviceable C this coming free agency for at least $22 million less. Baynes, Howard, Biyombo, Mahinmi will all go for under $5 million.

I just don't see Dallas too interested in Horford. IMO cap flexibility would probably be more important to them then a couple of 1sts in the 20s.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234