Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Way to completely avoid my argument and instead be an absolute bootlicker for the owners.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    The players can stay home. Simple as that. The owners can sell the club or close the league down with enough votes.

The very wealthy are always interacting with folks. They work twice as hard as anyone else. They have so many interests divested in so many places, their interactions are way more than you are giving them credit for.

Think of your own job. Think of how many folks you see. Now think of the boss at your company and how many folks they interact with during the same day. In the majority of instances it's more, much more, and a heck of a lot more than you or I.

But again, the grocery store worker, the gas station attendant. Sorry, the players don't have the strength to stand on that leg at this point.

I do like the "hidden" message in your last line. Open books is a topic I think should get discussed more.
    Do you honestly think the super rich are conducting business the same way they did before the pandemic? Do you think they are doing all these things in person like having board meetings, meeting with international clients, etc? If you do, you're lost.

There's no way people of privilege are putting themselves in the same positions of people who are not. Now yes the players are of privilege as well (the ones making 7 figures or more) and yes they don't have to accept the same terms as a grocery store worker or a gas station attendant but what Spliff said is absolutely true. You're asking the players to travel and be among groups of guys, everyday, for months at a time. That's significantly more risk than the owners who don't have to leave the house in order to make a dime.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-01-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Way to completely avoid my argument and instead be an absolute bootlicker for the owners.
    Way to not be intellectually honest!

Instead of name calling why don't you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Do you honestly think the super rich are conducting business the same way they did before the pandemic? Do you think they are doing all these things in person like having board meetings, meeting with international clients, etc? If you do, you're lost.

There's no way people of privilege are putting themselves in the same positions of people who are not. Now yes the players are of privilege as well (the ones making 7 figures or more) and yes they don't have to accept the same terms as a grocery store worker or a gas station attendant but what Spliff said is absolutely true. You're asking the players to travel and be among groups of guys, everyday, for months at a time. That's significantly more risk than the owners who don't have to leave the house in order to make a dime.
    A lot of them are, did you not see Mark Cuban out there over the weekend with the protestors?

Sure there might be precautions taken like masks but yes, there are lots of in person deals still being done.
    Again, pizza delivery, grocery clerks, gas station help never slowed for a moment.

If the players have more exposure and it's a GIANT IF, the significance over the owners is minimal. These are rich folks arguing over dollars and the players not being willing.

Way to not be intellectually honest!

Instead of name calling why don't you clarify?
    What you refer to as "name calling", I see as an absolutely proper term to be used on someone making comments such as yours. I don't think you even know what "intellectually honest" means. Better luck next time.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

A lot of them are, did you not see Mark Cuban out there over the weekend with the protestors?

Sure there might be precautions taken like masks but yes, there are lots of in person deals still being done.
    Again, pizza delivery, grocery clerks, gas station help never slowed for a moment.

If the players have more exposure and it's a GIANT IF, the significance over the owners is minimal. These are rich folks arguing over dollars and the players not being willing.
    ....and you call me out for being intellectually dishonest? Like I said: total bootlicker.

So one example is "a lot of them"? Okay. You're funny to call other people intellectually dishonest with a statement like that.

I highly doubt that. Anything you can accomplish in person you can accomplish on Skype or Zoom and with business lawyers.

The players do have more exposure in relation to owners. Who cares if they are rich people arguing? A good % of the players make the league minimum or less than 7 figures so its not all rich guys. The fact is the players are taking on the risk. As there should be hazard pay for essential workers (that's on the government for not passing legislation to that effect) players should get some incentive to play baseball that doesn't include 70% pay cuts in some cases.

All. Of those occupations they mentioned have minimal length interactions and those interactions stay within a specific geographic location. If that geographic location becomes a hot spot, more people can stay home. That's not possible with the baseball plan.

Players spend 3+ hours in fairly close contact with other individuals from completely different cities. All of those individuals then travel to completely different cities, potentially with a disease where you can be asymptomatic or have symptoms that are delayed by a few days (where you're still contagious) or have very mild symptoms that could be similar to a common cold or seasonal allergies.

Players also physically exert themselves, making it more likely to expel airborne droplets. Try to get an mlb pitcher not to lick or blow into his hand once and awhile. Or sliding back into first on a pick off throw. Look how close guys get. Hopefully no one breathes on you. Where as the pizza delivery guy can stay at arms length. Or he can leave the pizza on the porch while you both wear a mask.

I work at a fortune 500 company. We are in the largest division of that company and the president returned to the office for the first time in 9 weeks last week. Big important people aren't still conducting face to face transactions. And if they are, it's by choice.

....BuT mArK cUbAn WaS oUt PrOtEsTiNg!

Forget risk. Jobs are never compensated on who takes the most risk. The bottom line is that the owners want to benefit from their equity position and completely subsidize their losses on the backs of the players. Their equity position will be exactly the same or greater several years down the road and the players will never make back the amount they subsidized. I side squarely with labor on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Forget risk. Jobs are never compensated on who takes the most risk. The bottom line is that the owners want to benefit from their equity position and completely subsidize their losses on the backs of the players. Their equity position will be exactly the same or greater several years down the road and the players will never make back the amount they subsidized. I side squarely with labor on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It is stated in the march agreement between the union/players and owners. If they don't agree to anything, he can play the card. At least this is my understanding.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 06-01-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    That's a great post and made me change my stance a little. I think prorating salaries is a reasonable enough compromise.

News out of Japan doesn't bode well for our season. Two players have tested positive as they began ramping up activities.

The players, shortstop Hayato Sakamoto and catcher Takumi Oshiro, are the first baseball players in Japan to test positive since NPB began its ramp-up to a scheduled June 19 opening day.
    https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/06/03...-for-covid-19/

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast