Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Salary cap will be lowered

Owners gonna get back for the players refusing to smooth the money in a few summers ago lol

This isn't news is it? Was there ever a chance it wouldn't go down?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This isn't news is it? Was there ever a chance it wouldn't go down?
    Was projected at 115 and change
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

They're going to have to end up negotiating in an amnesty or tax relief. I doubt they want to end up in an area with 11 teams being the only ones with cap space and only 2 (Miami, Memphis) being playoff teams. I know it's not a great FA class coming up, but that shouldn't really matter IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Was projected at 115 and change
    Before the Rona, yes, but once games were suspended there almost had to be a cap effect.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    They're going to have to end up negotiating in an amnesty or tax relief. I doubt they want to end up in an area with 11 teams being the only ones with cap space and only 2 (Miami, Memphis) being playoff teams. I know it's not a great FA class coming up, but that shouldn't really matter IMO.
    The players taking the pay cut is going to make up some of it, but the money owners were shamed into paying out is going to be counted in the accounting looking for the 50/50 split and that's going to bring the cap down. The lost TV, advertising, ticket sales, and merch revenue is going to be too big to eliminate a significant drop this year I suspect. And if the players refuse smoothing as I expect them to, there will be a big drop this year in the hope there will be a quick recovery the next year. The players who will see the biggest differences in their pay will be players on qualifying max contracts, and the players looking for max contracts ... the first group won't be effected positively or negatively by smoothing, and the ones looking for new contracts will probably make more by not allowing the smoothing at the risk of a season with injury risk.

The players taking the pay cut is going to make up some of it, but the money owners were shamed into paying out is going to be counted in the accounting looking for the 50/50 split and that's going to bring the cap down. The lost TV, advertising, ticket sales, and merch revenue is going to be too big to eliminate a significant drop this year I suspect. And if the players refuse smoothing as I expect them to, there will be a big drop this year in the hope there will be a quick recovery the next year. The players who will see the biggest differences in their pay will be players on qualifying max contracts, and the players looking for max contracts ... the first group won't be effected positively or negatively by smoothing, and the ones looking for new contracts will probably make more by not allowing the smoothing at the risk of a season with injury risk.
    I feel like similar things get said every single time there's talk of stuff like this (not just the lowering of the cap but anything money related) of "oh ownership wont give out big contracts" or "players taking pay cuts" ect, ect, and it never happens.

I feel like similar things get said every single time there's talk of stuff like this (not just the lowering of the cap but anything money related) of "oh ownership wont give out big contracts" or "players taking pay cuts" ect, ect, and it never happens.
    This ain't those times, tho.........owners are earning ZIP and still, to this point, paying out millions.
    It may be 2021 before there's fans in the stands, 2022 before stadiums are full. Yes, the flip side of the lack of fans live is more watching on TV, but those dollars/person pale in comparison.

It's the same thing I was suggesting when people on the NFL forum said the salary cap there would be uneffected by this.....it's virtually impossible for it NOT to have an impact, those revenues are gone, period.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    This ain't those times, tho.........owners are earning ZIP and still, to this point, paying out millions.
    It may be 2021 before there's fans in the stands, 2022 before stadiums are full. Yes, the flip side of the lack of fans live is more watching on TV, but those dollars/person pale in comparison.

It's the same thing I was suggesting when people on the NFL forum said the salary cap there would be uneffected by this.....it's virtually impossible for it NOT to have an impact, those revenues are gone, period.
    No, I agree that the cap will do down. I disagree that it will be this rosey "oh everyone take an X% salary cut, owners lets be smart about max contracts".

Why do I feel that?

Let me put on my elite NBA player representing my team and how I communicate it to them:
    Listen guys, ownership wants us to take a 25% pay cut for this year. On a contract already paid. They also don't want this season unfinished and are ok shortening next season too. Guess what's going to happen next year. They'll want us to cut our salary again because they didn't make as much money on a shortened season. They haven't committed to permanently changing the season, so this might go on for a while. Meanwhile due to the cap going down, far less teams will be having cap space to spend. For you vets, you know that means they are looking at vet minimum guys coming for your spot and they won't look to pay you. Younger players, that means you won't get your full maximum value like others.

No, I agree that the cap will do down. I disagree that it will be this rosey "oh everyone take an X% salary cut, owners lets be smart about max contracts".

Why do I feel that?

Let me put on my elite NBA player representing my team and how I communicate it to them:
    The players have no choice but to give money back, a clauses added 2 CBAs ago I think, and if the cap is low, either in direct reaction to the lost revenue this season and next or smoothed across several years players not under contract and rookies will lose out big.

The younger players, by the way, are more expensive to the cap on minimum contracts than the vets are in general. No matter how much a vet's minimum costs they only count as a 2 year player minimum on the cap.

This should make giannis more likely to sign the supermax deal, right? Because it's gonna take a few years to get back on track .

The players have no choice but to give money back, a clauses added 2 CBAs ago I think, and if the cap is low, either in direct reaction to the lost revenue this season and next or smoothed across several years players not under contract and rookies will lose out big.

The younger players, by the way, are more expensive to the cap on minimum contracts than the vets are in general. No matter how much a vet's minimum costs they only count as a 2 year player minimum on the cap.
    But by pushing back the end of this season, and effecting next season, if I were a player I would be telling other players that they are going to lose revenue to a greater degree in multiple seasons.

And not talking about vet minimum guys. Talking your role players that gets $8-14mil/year vs teams deciding they can get the same production from a 15-25 pick at a fraction the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    This should make giannis more likely to sign the supermax deal, right? Because it's gonna take a few years to get back on track .
    What? No, how did you even come to that conclusion?

Why would he sign at a very low number for multiple years? He will do 1+1 contracts or potentially 2+1 contracts, if forced. He is gonna want to be a FA whenever the money goes back up to receive as much as possible, not locked into a long term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Or less likely to sign long term this offseason and instead sign a 2 year deal with the 2nd year player voidable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast