Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lions not picking up 5th year Option - Jarrad Davis

I don't think I have seen anyone talk about it but his 5th year option wasn't picked up. Below are a few of Patricia's comments on the decision:

"I would say from the contract standpoint of things I usually like to keep a lot of that private from where we are right now and kind of the times that we're in right now. We just made a decision that was best for the organization," Patricia said, when asked about Davis' declined option.

"It's certainly something we talked to JD about and Bob (GM Bob Quinn) did a great job communicating all of the stuff that was going on and just trying to push forward with certainly some uncertain times as we get into the season. Right now, just thought that was the best decision."
    "I would say this, there is no doubt that JD is one of our strongest leaders on defense," Patricia said. "He's a great player, someone we continue to build around. He and I just talked more so about, 'this is a short term conversation, as far as whatever this contract situation is, and for me it's about long term.' JD is a cornerstone of what we're trying to do and he's in those big-picture plans of where we're trying to go."
    The option would have paid Davis around $10 million next year and been guaranteed for injury only. I personally don't see the value in paying him that much. I just don't think he's that great of a player and the type of player this defense needs.

He's performed as one of the worst LB's in football. There is no reason in my mind to pick up the option. The Lions already gave an extension to an awful LB, I can't/don't want to see two awful LB's extended.

I was hoping they saw growth from him and that's the reason they didnt draft any depth there.

if thats not the case then why the hell did they do nothing about the position?
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    I was hoping they saw growth from him and that's the reason they didnt draft any depth there.

if thats not the case then why the hell did they do nothing about the position?
    Jamie Collins, Ragland, Tavai
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    Jamie Collins, Ragland, Tavai
    They did add bodies. How much is that going to move the needle though? Ragland is probably a camp cut or depth guy. Tavai played well-ish last year but is always going to be limited in his abilities (namely coverage). Collins seems like a good fit for any LB spot, Jack included, but there is going to be questions about him until we see him play successfully without Belichick.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    They did add bodies. How much is that going to move the needle though? Ragland is probably a camp cut or depth guy. Tavai played well-ish last year but is always going to be limited in his abilities (namely coverage). Collins seems like a good fit for any LB spot, Jack included, but there is going to be questions about him until we see him play successfully without Belichick.
    I think Tavai really started to play well at the end of last year. I won't be shocked to see him calling the plays next year.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

It all starts in the trenches. Remember how good Suh made Levy look. All those Suh double teams let Levy dominate that 5-10 yard zone.

Albeit a small sample size of targets, it looks like Collins actually graded out as one of the top coverage off-ball linebackers in 2019. Passer rating of 55 when thrown towards him.

Among the 66 off-ball linebackers with at least 30 targets in coverage in 2019, Collins was the only one with a passer rating when targeted under 73.0. He allowed just 27 receptions from 34 targets for 205 yards, zero touchdowns and three interceptions this past season.
    However, whether he makes the tackle after the fact is yet to be seen. Also from PFF:

New England Patriotsí Jamie Collins missed 16 tackles across his 85 combined tackle attempts in 2019, giving him an NFL-low 5.3 PFF tackling efficiency. Collins and Philadelphia Eaglesí Nathan Gerry were the only two off-ball linebackers with a PFF tackling efficiency below 6.0 in 2019.
    Soooo, we shall see the type of player we get. I don't know about you all but the front 7 is really a head scratcher. Do not feel confident. at. all.

Can't remember, but was anyone here happy that we drafted Davis? If I recall properly we were all pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Can't remember, but was anyone here happy that we drafted Davis? If I recall properly we were all pissed.
    Yea, I can't quite recall my feelings towards the pick. Looking at that draft and other LBs who were selected after him though it doesn't look like we could have done much better. Outside of T.J. Watt, every other LB has been meh.

Reaction was overwhelmingly positive:
    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...vis-LB-Florida

Oops. I was wrong lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Reaction was overwhelmingly positive:
    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...vis-LB-Florida

Oops. I was wrong lol.
    hahaha that thread was filled with Kool-aid.

I voted A

The fact that ****edindet voted A is terrifying. Should have known then something was off.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    I don't think I have seen anyone talk about it but his 5th year option wasn't picked up. Below are a few of Patricia's comments on the decision:

The option would have paid Davis around $10 million next year and been guaranteed for injury only. I personally don't see the value in paying him that much. I just don't think he's that great of a player and the type of player this defense needs.
    Not only is he not great, but I wouldn't even call him good. He's so bad in coverage...he gets the occasional sack, but that is about it.

I understand he is a "Locker room" guy, but that doesn't cut it imo.

Anyway, when a team doesn't pick up the 5th year option usually it means an extension is coming (at least for QBs) I don't think that is true in this case. I think this is Davis's last year in the D unless he has an incredible season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast