Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Not every situation is created equally for rookie QB's either. You look at the situations where rookies stepped in and struggled, those were already bad teams. What did Hodges even need to do to win games? Not throw pick 6's and score 17 pts? The issue isn't taking Hurts in the 2nd round. The issue is was Hurts the best player on the board and if not did the Eagles maximize their assets. Backup QB was definitely a need, but is Hurts that much better than some of the choices taken later like Eason and Fromm? And was taking Hightower, Watkins, and trading for Goodwin a better use of resources than just taking Mims and using those assets on different positions? None of us know the answers to those questions yet. Was it poor logic to bank on multiple later WRs in a draft said said to be the best WR draft in over 2 decades? It could certainly blow up in Howie's face, but at least the logic makes some sense.
    The issue with rookies is even if that's all you ask of them, those pick 6's still happen and it's why you end up losing games.

But anyways a majority of what you said there had nothing to do with what I was responding to, which is a halfway decent backup can go .500 and keep you in it. The truth of the matter is that doesn't happen much, and they guys that tend to do that or better are usually former starters that took backup roles. Hell half the reason the Steelers of 2019 were as good as we were was a top 5 defense. In the past when Ben got hurt its because of guys like Charlie Batch (former starter), Byron Leftwitch (former starter), Bruce Gradkowski (former starter). It wasn't until Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph that we started using drafted guys as a backup, mostly because we were protecting against Ben retiring than the cap hit. For most teams though that see success without the starter, they've typically used a former starter from somewhere.

Banking on Hurts being a good backup in year 1 isn't the greatest idea based on what we see historically out of the position.
    Last edited by warfelg; 05-03-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Iíll say it again, could have had Mims with that 2nd pick. Or the Eagles could have taken a RB. There were still some really good RBís on the board when the Eagles made their 2nd pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíll say it again.

The eagles didnít want Mims, or a RB. They got their guys.

I didnít see this coming thought NE or Jacksonville was gonna sign him? Looks like the Patriots really like Stidham to be their starter? But I canít help but wonder if Bill is willing to tank to get Trevor Lawrence?
    Last edited by BSF101; 05-03-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Vince to Gronk

Wentz would be loving life right now if they had added Reagor AND Mims.

You assume this.

Hot take . Lamb has more TD then Reagor.

So I guess this is the 5th Jalen Hurts thread now.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    so let me get this right because your team over paid on backups but won a superbowl with a backup then those 2 bad decisions even though you lucked out which happens once in forever means that taking a back up qb in the 2nd round is a good thing?
    How is investing in the QB2 spot a bad decision? The team doesn't win a Super Bowl without that decision.

also wentz has suffered an injury every year? per bdawk in all of the eagles/cowboys threads these recent injuries are flukes... so why draft a QB in the 2nd round for fluke injuries when you can have a legit backup for a similar or slightly above price?
    BDawk is a fan. The front office and coaching staff are hitching their jobs to Wentz's health if they don't get a capable backup.

also i thought it was to save cap space? so now its because wentz is always injured and because you guys won with foles and because you over spent severely and stupidly on backup qbs that this justifies taking a backup qb who isnt good as a 2nd round pick when you have a franchise qb who all of you on this board said NEEDED WEAPONS..... is this all correct? and again is it talking out of your *** to justify a piss poor pick because the eagles took him when you would be destroying cowboys fans for doing the same thing? THOUGHTS?
    It's not "all of a sudden". These points were all raised in the other four Jalen Hurts discussions, which you apparently missed, probably because they were all in different, unrelated threads.

also you can throw out more arguments that i wont respond to tells me all i need to hear considering every thread that involves anything football ends up eagles/cowboys with you/bdawk and so and so in the middle which is fine until you hypocritically try and take the high road because you and bdawks arguments were trash from the start. Dont give me this is the cowboys/dalton thread when everything cowboys or eaglies is cowboys and eagles... gtfo.
    Like I said, these were facts not arguments. And I don't moderate this place; I just think it would be handy to have all the Jalen Hurts discussion in one thread, so the above doesn't happen.

Iíll say it again, could have had Mims with that 2nd pick. Or the Eagles could have taken a RB. There were still some really good RBís on the board when the Eagles made their 2nd pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The more I think about it, they should have gone with Mims and gone WR/WR. Mims could have been an easy Alshon replacement. Mims-Reagor-Ward could make a nice trio. But alas we'll never see it.
    If Hurts never plays and Mims develops into a good starter, then yes, the Eagles should have drafted Mims instead of Hurts.

For a rookie QB to come in and do that would be a very tall task. Iíd say that 9 out of 10 times that rookie is going to be like a deer in the headlights if he has to start an NFL game. For most rookies the game doesnít even start to slow down until at least their second year. If Wentz goes down again this season and Hurts has to start, its more likely that the Eagles are screwed than that Hurts keeps the team around .500.
    The Eagles still have Sudfeld for one more year. But he isn't any good anyway. Probably better than "generic rookie QB" though.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    The Eagles still have Sudfeld for one more year. But he isn't any good anyway. Probably better than "generic rookie QB" though.
    The other part of that is with Sudfeld also being on a 1 year deal if the Eagles need him to play and he performs well he is going to cost a fortune to retain. If they need him and fails miserably, then they got what they paid for. Either way there is some merit to investing in a long term backup.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    So this post got me curious so I decided to look up records of backups (starting the season) in 2020 (I left off week 17 starters as that wasn't for injuries/benchings):
    Minshew* 6-6
    Tannehill 9-4
    Bridgewater 5-0
    K Allen 5-7
    Rudolph 5-3
    Lock 4-1
    Hodges* 3-3
    Jones* 3-9
    Haskins* 2-5
    Moore 1-1
    B Allen 1-2
    Siemian 0-1
    Driskel 0-3
    Finley* 0-3
    Rosen 0-3
    Blough* 0-5

* - denotes rookies

Backups who came in for injury were 41-56 in 2019 alone. Rookies were 14-31 as starters coming in for injuries.

I went back another year or two that I'm not going to do similar starters but it seems as though if you want a competent backup, your best bet isn't a rookie contract, rather it's spending the slight extra dime and get yourself a former starter to come in.
    I wrote "competent backup". Most of the list isn't that. Nobody is expecting an UDFA rookie to come in and win.

If anything the list shows how teams who cheapened out on their backup QBs really did tank their season.

Those who invested significant money or draft capital in it:
    - Bridgewater: $7.25M
    - Tannehill: $4.5M + 4th round pick
    - Lock: 2nd round pick
    - Rudolph: 3rd round pick
    23-8 record

I wrote "competent backup". Most of the list isn't that. Nobody is expecting an UDFA rookie to come in and win.

If anything the list shows how teams who cheapened out on their backup QBs really did tank their season.

23-8 record
    Saints also gave up a 3rd for Bridgwater in 2017

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

23-8 record
    I almost considered not including Lock since despite being the backup, he was more being groomed.

In all fairness, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, John Elway, and pretty much any other great QB would have also struggled with the Bengals.

Maybe but 6-19-1 oof.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Honestly, this could eventually be better than just drafting a QB high in this draft. Dak might hold out and if dalton comes in and plays great, it eliminates the urgency to get dak signed. Obviously you still want to sign him but you can tell him that youíve reached your limit and for him to take it or they will explore trades. I think they can get a 1st+ for dak which would be a fantastic ROI for him being a 4th round draft pick. In the offseason they can resign dalton to a 2-3 year contract and then with that 1st that they acquired, they can take Daks replacement long term and have him learn behind dalton for a year or two. That would be a smooth transition in my opinion
    That would be the ideal situation for me. Within the next year or two the Cowboys will also have to be in the market for a starting LT. Next off season they are in line for 3 comp picks (possibility two 3rd rounders). If they could add an extra 1st round pick (by trading Dak) I would be ok with that.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast