Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Jalen Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Rumors were made up. We never even met with him.
    Does the cancellation of pre-draft visits due to Coronavirus factor into that?

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Does the cancellation of pre-draft visits due to Coronavirus factor into that?
    I think so. Colbert was asked if he ever met with Hurts, he replied no, and no one followed up with asking about virtual meeting. They asked about his pro day and Colbert just said ďwe look at all pro days.Ē They tried to press later is a QB were a potential target and he said they evaluate all positions all the time and only sign or draft at ones where they can see an improvement.

Basically I think this is long way of saying that Mason is the plan of backup for 2020. Perpetuates the rumors of you read between the lines that Ben and Colbert (possibly Tomlin too) would all retire together. (I say possibly Tomlin because I think last years ďsuccessĒ may of motivated Tomlin to stay post-Ben)

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    I think itís very possible the patriots take jalen hurts at #60 if the eagles didnít and nobody would question that pick in my opinion.

I keep going back to the Russell Wilson thing but Howie was supposedly in love with Russell Wilson in the 2012 draft and thought seriously about taking him in round 2. When the pick came up he eventually decided that Wilson would be there at the eagles pick in the 3rd round only to see Seattle take him 13 picks ahead of the eagles and then the eagles selected nick foles. Russell Wilson becoming Russell Wilson probably doesnít make it easier for Howie to sleep at night knowing that he coulda had Russell Wilson.

I think itís possible in this draft that Howie was having Russell Wilson flashbacks and didnít want to lose out again on ďthe next Russell WilsonĒ. He probably looked at the draft board and saw New England sitting at #60 and didnít want to let them decide if jalen hurts would still be there or not. I donít like this mentality but I do think it is what fueled Howie into taking hurts in the 2nd round.
    Thatís very possible. Thatís the exact reason Jerry wasnít going to pass on Lamb. He passed on Randy Moss to take Greg Ellis (because if fit and that Ellis was a choir boy). That pick haunts Jerry to this day. Itís also why he drafted Dez when so many teams were passing on him. So PTSD is a valid reason to take a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Thatís very possible. Thatís the exact reason Jerry wasnít going to pass on Lamb. He passed on Randy Moss to take Greg Ellis (because if fit and that Ellis was a choir boy). That pick haunts Jerry to this day. Itís also why he drafted Dez when so many teams were passing on him. So PTSD is a valid reason to take a player.

Right. And like I said I donít like it when missing on players in past drafts fuels picks in future drafts because that means you are drafting on emotions. But yeah, I do think itís a big reason Howie pulled the trigger in hurts and like you said also probably why jerry drafted lamb

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Rumors were made up. We never even met with him.
    Not saying that it wasn't made up, but teams don't have to meet with players to draft them. A couple years ago Denver didn't think there was any way that Bradley Chubb would be there at 5. They actually had a trade back lined up with another team (Buffalo IIRC) but then when the Browns drafted Ward, Denver decided to draft Chubb despite not ever talking to him lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Not saying that it wasn't made up, but teams don't have to meet with players to draft them. A couple years ago Denver didn't think there was any way that Bradley Chubb would be there at 5. They actually had a trade back lined up with another team (Buffalo IIRC) but then when the Browns drafted Ward, Denver decided to draft Chubb despite not ever talking to him lol.
    I think thereís a difference between top of the draft guys and 2nd round guys. I can recall only 2 guys the Steelers drafted without visiting/vid conferencing/dining after their pro day and thatís David DeCastro and TJ Watt, mostly because they didnít think they could get them.

A second round QB? That meeting is gonna happen. Either way they were saying before, during, and after the draft that QB wasnít on the radar so thereís no mixed messaging. Just kinda what National writers were pressing as a good pick for us because of Bens age. I dug deeper and the ďrumorĒ that we met with him was some area writer called him. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Dallas never met with Lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The only team I heard rumors about possibly taking Hurts in the 2nd was Pittsburgh. They had already made their pick in the 2nd though when Philly took Hurts. I think the are several teams that would have taken him in the 3rd, including the Cowboys. They would have had to trade up in the 3rd to get him. Thatís not an expensive trade to make though.

No matter how you look at it, you canít justify taking a backup QB in the 2nd, not unless you expect this guy to be your eventual starter.

I would have been livid if they took Hurts in the third. I donít think heís good at all.

I could have lived with a fourth, but even then I would much rather have had an injured center that has upside in whom they went with.

Yankees Farm System

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112