Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Redskins flush with salary cap space after TW trade - What should they do with it?

Redskins flush with salary cap space after trading Trent Williams
    By JP Finlay April 27, 2020 6:00 AM

The Redskins traded away Trent Williams over the weekend and in turn, found another giant chunk of salary cap savings. That trade puts Washington more than $35 million under the cap, good for the second-highest total in the league.

Now, it's important to note that the bulk of free agency is over and that the additional savings from dealing Williams likely won't be immediately spent on new players.

There are good players still on the market, and now that the draft is over, teams will be making surprise cuts all over the league.

Original article
    Redskins Needs after the draft include:
    • O-LINE G/T
    • TE Competition
    • 4-3 LBs Competition
    • CB Competition
    • FS Competition
    • WR Depth (veteran presence with size)

Available Free agents the Redskins should consider:
    Offensive Tackle
    • Jason Peters - this should be plan A. Get a starting caliber guy in here while we develop young talent. I know the best way to learn is to be on the field, but we can't sacrifice the health of our young QB and fragile HB. Sure up the LT position.
    • Greg Robinson - Young high draft pick. If we don't decide to sign Peters, bring him in to compete for the starting spot.
    • T.J. Clemmings - Young high draft pick. If we don't decide to sign Peters, bring him in to compete for the starting spot.
    • If not bring in one of the older veterans out there to come in and compete. Guys like Jared Veldheer, Donald Penn, Demar Dotson, Chris Clark, Kelvin Beachum, or Cordy Glenn.

Offensive Guard
    Honestly I'm not seeing much in the way of starting FA guards out there. Does our coaching staff feel comfortable with what they have or could they try to move a veteran OT inside? Hopefully Ron and they boys can figure this out and keep the pressure out of Haskins face.

Tight End
    I don't think any of these players are the long term answer, but if Sprinkle, Thomas, and Moss don't show us anything early on we might want to bring in a player who can get us through the season as a serviceable starter.
    • Delanie Walker
    • Charles Clay
    • Ricky Seals-Jones

4-3 Linebackers
    We're switching the defense over and we don't really know how our guys are going to respond to the change. Not only that, but there are SOOO many question marks about this unit. Will Ruben Foster ever take the field? Can Thomas Davis be a fossil and still contribute as a starter? How is Cole Holcomb in a new defensive scheme? Is Kevin Pierre-Louis a special teamer or a starter? Here are after young-ish guys that have either played in a 4-3 system in the NFL or seem versatile enough to make the switch.
    • Darron Lee
    • Mychal Kendricks
    • Alec Ogletree
    • Stephone Anthony
    • Deone Bucannon
    • Wesley Woodyard
    • Kentrell Brothers
    • Manti Te'o
    • Preston Brown

Cornerback
    This unit is young and inexperienced. I'm starting to notice a theme. Besides Kendall Fuller and Landon Collins we have no one I trust. No one to lock-down anyone on the outside. Yeah Kendall is great in the slot, but I'm not feeling good about Fabian and Darby going up against Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, and Michael Gallup. Here are a couple of CBs that might help.
    • Logan Ryan
    • Bashaud Breeland
    • Eli Apple
    • Darqueze Dennard
    • Trumaine Johnson
    • Aqib Talib
    • Johnathan Joseph

Free Safety
    I don't know much about Sean Davis and I don't know what the coaching staff will think of Troy Apke, but here are some safeties that are available.
    • Reshad Jones
    • Tavon Wilson
    • Tedric Thompson
    • Walt Aikens
    • Kemal Ishmael
    • Rontez Miles
    • Colin Jones

Wide Receiver
    I'm excited to see if Kelvin Harmon or Antonio Gandy-Golden can develop into dominant big bodied receiving threats. We have plenty of speed, but with limited TE talent, I'm afraid we'll have trouble in the redzone as things stand right now. Here are a couple of big veteran receivers that can help us in that aspect of the passing game.
    • Demaryius Thomas
    • Josh Gordon (CBA loosened NFL's rules on Weed)
    • Jordan Matthews
    • Dontrelle Inman
    • Josh Malone

Now if the Redskins are trying to tank for Trevor Lawrence I wouldn't touch a thing. If I'm the Redskins and I'm trying to win as many games in 2020 as possible, I'm bringing in Jason Peters immediately to hold down LT position and signing Greg Robinson and moving him to LG. As stated above bringing in some competition at LB and DB. HTTR

I don't see any big moves or signings happening outside of TE. We need a starter, and there could be younger or older veterans available now after the draft. A lof of teams loaded up at TE and have bloated rosters there, so the Redskins can have their pick. Doing this is certainly better than investing any picks in a absolutely horrid draft for TE- seems like the Redskins agreed with that, as we didn't schedule any pre-draft visits with TE's.

I see Rivera being fine with Fuller long-term, as well as evaluating Moreau and Moreland for the future- and seeing what Darby might bring. So no corners.

I can go either way on LT with Penn coming back, or no one at all. Gotta let Christian and Lucas prove something, as well as seeing if Charles can go. Same with guard- they loaded up with zone-blocking guys, so I don't see a move being made there either.

The team also has way too many linebackers and wide receivers right now as well to even consider adding anyone to the depth chart there. Free safety might be a possibility.

I see Rivera and the coaching staff seeing what a lot of the young guys have, and this being a year to evaluate. Not load up on veterans who might get us some cheap wins, but overall not in for the long haul..

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I don't see any big moves or signings happening outside of TE. We need a starter, and there could be younger or older veterans available now after the draft. A lof of teams loaded up at TE and have bloated rosters there, so the Redskins can have their pick. Doing this is certainly better than investing any picks in a absolutely horrid draft for TE- seems like the Redskins agreed with that, as we didn't schedule any pre-draft visits with TE's.
    Or if you like the young guys maybe you bring in a vet to mentor them through the preseason.

I see Rivera being fine with Fuller long-term, as well as evaluating Moreau and Moreland for the future- and seeing what Darby might bring. So no corners.
    I don't understand what Moreland has done to garner so much Redskin fan love, but fine. We normally hold on to 5-6 cbs. Outside of the four you mention we have Greg Stroman, Danny Johnson, Thomas Simeon, and Kamren Curl so I hope we bring in a few young guys to compete with them.

I can go either way on LT with Penn coming back, or no one at all. Gotta let Christian and Lucas prove something, as well as seeing if Charles can go. Same with guard- they loaded up with zone-blocking guys, so I don't see a move being made there either.
    Haskins is going to get crushed.

The team also has way too many linebackers and wide receivers right now as well to even consider adding anyone to the depth chart there. Free safety might be a possibility.
    Current WRs on the Roster: Players who I think are a lock to make the roster in red
    Terry McLaurin
    Antonio Gandy-Golden
    Trey Quinn
    Steven Sims Jr.
    Kelvin Harmon

Cody Latimer
    Cam Sims
    Jester Weah
    Jordan Veasy
    Darvin Kidsy
    Emanuel Hall

I think the only reason anyone besides McLaurin is considered a lock is because the lack of talent. I don't think they're terrible, but I think they are depth guys on most other rosters. We have quantity, not quality at the position. Honestly, think you're right though I doubt they'd bring in an over the hill veteran or a potential problem in Josh Gordon for a negligible upgrade in talent.

I disagree on the linebacker front. There are relatively young and talented guys available that would upgrade the unit. Guys like Darron Lee, Mychal Kendricks, and Alec Ogletree would certainly start and I think Stephone Anthony, Deone Bucannon, Wesley Woodyard, and Kentrell Brothers would at least compete for a starting spot.

Thomas Davis is pushing 40. Bostic is blah. I like Cole Holcomb, but he's young. Who knows when Reuben Foster will play again. Who else do we have? Harvey-Clemons, Pierre-Louis, Hudson, Hamilton? I wouldn't be shocked if any of them were unseated by any of the players listed above.

I see Rivera and the coaching staff seeing what a lot of the young guys have, and this being a year to evaluate. Not load up on veterans who might get us some cheap wins, but overall not in for the long haul..
    If we're trying to tank for Lawrence I get it, but if we're trying to win games we have to make some upgrades.

Ron Rivera is trying to establish a culture here that's drastically different from Club Jay. He's got a lot of draft picks to sort through, and big-time FA signings never were his MO. They had a grand total of two contracts given out to FA's of $25 million or over. A typical off-season from him were depth signings like we had. Rivera has also stated numerous times he liked the talent that was here. So that explains all of the 1-3 year depth signings, which were also meant to provide some competition and leadership.

I don't necessarily think this is tanking for Lawrence- but if Haskins regresses, that is most certainly in the cards. Again, this is to evaluate the talent already on the roster to see where it's going to go.

A Mychal Kendricks or Alex Ogletree would certainly start, but their NFL future is limited. We have plenty of depth players who are competing for spots, we don't need to add a ton of veterans who probably only make 1-2 wins worth of difference. I'd rather see what our linebackers can do, rather than waste a spot on Alex Ogletree, who racks up tackles but is a 1-2 down linebacker at this point.

Right now, outside of LT, there isn't much talent out on FA that is going to make a difference for the Redskins at this point. And we had Penn last year, and Haskins didn't get crushed. You can scheme to give LT some help. We are also implementing zone-blocking again.

We had the worst season in franchise history, but years of Bruce Allen neglect means we are going to chalk up 2020 to a developmental season, and maybe even 2021 as well.

dont touch a thing
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    dont touch a thing
    EDIT: Because you like our roster or because you want to tank?
    Last edited by NJrockPD; 05-07-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Ron Rivera is trying to establish a culture here that's drastically different from Club Jay. He's got a lot of draft picks to sort through, and big-time FA signings never were his MO. They had a grand total of two contracts given out to FA's of $25 million or over. A typical off-season from him were depth signings like we had. Rivera has also stated numerous times he liked the talent that was here. So that explains all of the 1-3 year depth signings, which were also meant to provide some competition and leadership.

I don't necessarily think this is tanking for Lawrence- but if Haskins regresses, that is most certainly in the cards. Again, this is to evaluate the talent already on the roster to see where it's going to go.
    I mean we have holes all over the line. We have a very young unproven wr core. We have a bunch of question marks at TE. I don't think they are setting him up to succeed, but maybe he can show something this year and and we'll see who to build the team around in the future.

A Mychal Kendricks or Alex Ogletree would certainly start, but their NFL future is limited. We have plenty of depth players who are competing for spots, we don't need to add a ton of veterans who probably only make 1-2 wins worth of difference. I'd rather see what our linebackers can do, rather than waste a spot on Alex Ogletree, who racks up tackles but is a 1-2 down linebacker at this point.
    Who are the young guys in this group that we hope can take the reigns outside of Cole Holcomb. I would love to see Ruben Foster, but even if he gets back on the field he's had off the field issues too. I don't want to put too much stock in him. As far as guys with limited futures we have a 38 year old Thomas Davis starting? How does that help us in the future. I would love to see us sign Darron Lee. He should be cheap and at 25 years old he still has time to reach his potential.

Right now, outside of LT, there isn't much talent out on FA that is going to make a difference for the Redskins at this point. And we had Penn last year, and Haskins didn't get crushed. You can scheme to give LT some help. We are also implementing zone-blocking again.
    I didn't think we brought Penn back though. I guess we're either starting Cornelius Lucas or Geron Christian at this point. I think that is a down grade from a vet Penn, but I agree it will be better in the long run to get younger guys some reps.

Quote Originally Posted by NJrockPD View Post
    EDIT: Because you like our roster or because you want to tank?
    tank is the main reason. I would be extremely pissed if the 1 or 2 extra wins we would get by signing a couple below average guys to replace our well below average guys currently on our team results in us missing out on Trev.

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    tank is the main reason. I would be extremely pissed if the 1 or 2 extra wins we would get by signing a couple below average guys to replace our well below average guys currently on our team results in us missing out on Trev.
    I hope we're not in the running for him, but looking at the roster I think we will be. I don't think an amazing D-line can cover up for the scrubs behind them.

I hope we're not in the running for him, but looking at the roster I think we will be. I don't think an amazing D-line can cover up for the scrubs behind them.
    Not to mention, most teams aren't very good when they change from one defensive scheme to another. There is always a year of adjustment.

Id rather be in the running for him than finish 5-9/6-10

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

I don't see the Redskins really doing anything big with their current cap space. One player I would be intrigued with is Jason Peters. Not so much for his ability at this point, but the guy has been a staple in the league. I think he would be a great addition to help bring Charles along if nothing else. He can play still, don't get me wrong. But I think he would be more valuable based on the information he can pass along about his craft. Much like AP, a veteran presence to help with the culture.

I fully expect the Redskins to be terrible again. Most of their current line up will be younger players who are still developing. The way I view it, it is sort of a win-win this season (imagine that as a Redskins fan). So likely scenario, the lack of weapons and O-Line for Haskins means the offense struggles mightily. The Redskins have poor record and are in line to draft Lawrence potentially next season (win). Scenario two, Haskins develops well and the team is decent (hovering around .500). We see enough improvement from Haskins to know he is a legitimate starting QB in the league (win). Either way, this season will be a long one for sure. But hopefully Rivera can turn us in the right direction.

I guess there is a scenario 3...we win enough poopy games to be outside of the Lawrence race. At the end of last season, it actually worked out perfectly. We were competitive but found a way to lose close games enough that we landed Young. I am hoping we can work that magic one more year!

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar08 View Post
    I don't see the Redskins really doing anything big with their current cap space. One player I would be intrigued with is Jason Peters. Not so much for his ability at this point, but the guy has been a staple in the league. I think he would be a great addition to help bring Charles along if nothing else. He can play still, don't get me wrong. But I think he would be more valuable based on the information he can pass along about his craft. Much like AP, a veteran presence to help with the culture.

I fully expect the Redskins to be terrible again. Most of their current line up will be younger players who are still developing. The way I view it, it is sort of a win-win this season (imagine that as a Redskins fan). So likely scenario, the lack of weapons and O-Line for Haskins means the offense struggles mightily. The Redskins have poor record and are in line to draft Lawrence potentially next season (win). Scenario two, Haskins develops well and the team is decent (hovering around .500). We see enough improvement from Haskins to know he is a legitimate starting QB in the league (win). Either way, this season will be a long one for sure. But hopefully Rivera can turn us in the right direction.
    Pretty much agree with this. I wouldn't be upset if we didn't sign Peters or bring back Penn either. With the culture change from Club Jay to Rivera, changing back to the 4-3, changing back to zone-blocking on the offensive line and a developing QB (who wasn't the pick of this regime) I totally understand it being an evaluation year. In two years, I wouldn't be surprised if half of the current roster is no longer on this team.

We've been bad for so long that I think Redskins fans really overrate the players that we have. There isn't a lot of talent on this roster that was there last season.

Best case scenario is 5 wins in my mind. We could also have two again. Pretty much depends on whether or not Haskins takes another step forward in his development.

Pretty much agree with this. I wouldn't be upset if we didn't sign Peters or bring back Penn either. With the culture change from Club Jay to Rivera, changing back to the 4-3, changing back to zone-blocking on the offensive line and a developing QB (who wasn't the pick of this regime) I totally understand it being an evaluation year. In two years, I wouldn't be surprised if half of the current roster is no longer on this team.

We've been bad for so long that I think Redskins fans really overrate the players that we have. There isn't a lot of talent on this roster that was there last season.

Best case scenario is 5 wins in my mind. We could also have two again. Pretty much depends on whether or not Haskins takes another step forward in his development.
    Agreed, I honestly think the win scenario is 4 at most... this team is very bad. I think the defense will be good, but I just dont see us scoring any points

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast