Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Draft Grade

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

    0 0%
  • A-A-

    0 0%
  • B+

    1 16.67%
  • B-B-

    3 50.00%
  • C+

    1 16.67%
  • C-C-

    1 16.67%
  • D+

    0 0%
  • D-D-

    0 0%
  • F

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    77,785

    Grade the 2020 Draft

    In lieu of doing individual threads for each player, we can put our thoughts/grades about the draft here and revisit it as the season starts to see where we stand after that.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,042
    I feel like okudah will be good, but you can have the worlds best secondary and it wont matter if you have no pass rush. we desperately needed to address our pass rush but we didn't really do that.

    instead we used our 2nd pick on a RB, which will also be useless if we have no oline to block for him.

    you can argue that it wont matter if down the road we get a pass rush and an oline and still have these players, but for the here and now, this draft is middle of the road at best
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

    When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    162
    I voted C just from an overall viewpoint. I don't think the roster is better than it was at the end of last season. The only player that I can say resulted in an upgrade for his position group from last year is Swift. 9 picks and one of them makes his group better, I wouldn't call this a successful draft. Maybe that's a little hard on Okudah but he's replacing Slay and upside or not he's still a downgrade compared to Big Play.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn, MI
    Posts
    5,582
    I am going with B+...I would have said B but it was lumped in with the B- so I went one up instead one down.

    Okudah should be day 1 starter and him and Trufant with a 2nd year Oruwariye should be better than what we rolled out last year even with losing Slay.

    Even if swift doesn't replace Johnson...I doubt Johnson could make it through an entire year so Swift will be getting snaps in the second half of the year. Also he should be just hitting his stride by then adapting to the flow of the game.

    I think the two guards will push for the starting spot they both may not make it but one of them will be replacing Dahl who has a bad back.

    Everything else is depth and pushing people on the roster...our running back core needed to be over hauled.

    We even found talent on the edge in Okwara and if his injury is healed and he can play he should get plenty of playing time.

    As far as better than last year comments.

    With the exception of slay everything should be better unless we somehow lead the league in players on IR the team should be better. Unless we lose Stafford to injury again the team should be better. Yes injuries happen they normally don't hit to the point that your 5th DE is starting by week 4.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    I feel like okudah will be good, but you can have the worlds best secondary and it wont matter if you have no pass rush. we desperately needed to address our pass rush but we didn't really do that.

    instead we used our 2nd pick on a RB, which will also be useless if we have no oline to block for him.

    you can argue that it wont matter if down the road we get a pass rush and an oline and still have these players, but for the here and now, this draft is middle of the road at best
    I think the run blocking will be okay, but the opportunities to run will once again be limited if you canít get your D off the field.

    So Swift will look good, Kerryon will look good, but neither will get more than 10 carries a game. Stafford will have to keep throwing an absolute ton because the D is still not good.

    Grade (including letting Slay walk which crippled that #3 pick): F

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,042
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I think the run blocking will be okay, but the opportunities to run will once again be limited if you canít get your D off the field.

    So Swift will look good, Kerryon will look good, but neither will get more than 10 carries a game. Stafford will have to keep throwing an absolute ton because the D is still not good.

    Grade (including letting Slay walk which crippled that #3 pick): F
    I disagree with it being F just for the simple fact that you have to think in both long term and short term.

    short term I could agree with an F, but longterm they mostly got very talented players that can be huge pieces in a potential playoff run. it's just right now with the way the team is setup I cant envision them being very big factors
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

    When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    77,785
    B- for me.

    A few starters who should play right away and do well (hopefully of course), questionable value picks and redundancy (I get it is the 5th round but I would have liked value elsewhere, also am a stickler for a certain type of WR's), and some interesting prospects down the road that if they develop could be a boon for the way the teams wants to play. Namely the IOL picks.

    As for the future. The secondary seems like they finally got what they wanted, if Harris and Walker progress as expected along side Okudah/Oruwariye/Coleman/Trufant we will finally have a secondary worth being happy about. I do want to want a little more focus on pass rush with the second wave of free agency coming. Okwara is nice, having a healthy Da'Shawn Hand should help as well, but the rest provide little in that regard. I get they place little emphasis there for scheme reasons but why limit yourself intentionally? At least make the offense think for a second that an IDL or EDGE could get to you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,728
    D+

    Only reason being is he got a few nice players for the next regime. Missed out on a generational QB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    D+

    Only reason being is he got a few nice players for the next regime. Missed out on a generational QB
    You mean the QB who can't run and might need a hip replacement in December? Yeah, we really lost out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post

    As far as better than last year comments.
    Comments? There were no comments, just one comment. I made that comment. From here on out feel free to quote me and then tell me why you disagree. I promise I won't take offense.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    24,554
    have we looked back on the draft from 3-4 years ago and graded it in hindsight?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    1,884
    I give it a B.

    Goals Entering the 2020 NFL Draft: We were in a difficult position. Our front office and coaching staff needs to do everything in its power to win now, but that conflicts with the health and status of Matthew Stafford. The long-time Detroit quarterback has a bad back and doesn't seem like he'll be available to play much longer. It'll be tough for us to balance immediate success with a long-term answer. What they can do is trade down from No. 3 to accumulate more draft capital.

    2020 NFL Draft Accomplishments: I was a little upset that our front office couldn't move down from No. 3. It may have been difficult for teams to wheel and deal on draft day - there were just four trades in the first round - but the front office had two months to make a trade happen. Every other team gets a pass but for the Lions
    they do not. They would have easily obtained Jeff Okudah at No. 5 or 6. We should have taken something even if the price wasn't what the front office would have liked.

    It's a shame we didn't trade down because that spoiled what was an impressive class otherwise. Okudah will be a terrific player, while De'Andre Swift was a steal atop Round 2. Julian Okwara and Logan Stenberg were also solid choices. I wasn't a fan of the Jonah Jackson pick, mostly because we unnecessarily traded up for him. We could have easily taken him at our original position.

    The Cephus pick was just OK with me. I would have rather them selected Jake Fromm instead. Overall we got some solid building blocks for the future.

    Edit: Most of this was taken from Walterfootball but with a little tweaking of my own words.
    Last edited by vader817; 04-27-2020 at 09:50 AM.



    2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

    Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,196
    I will give it a B-

    As much as I would have rather seen different selections with the first 2 picks, you cannot argue that a team shouldn't benefit from picking the #1 rated CB and #1 rated RB. Expectations though are for them to produce day 1 so I hope they don't just give Swift 5 carries a game and expect him to get better.

    All of the other picks are fine. I wish they would have addressed the DL a little sooner but they went the route of addressing the OL first. You can all but guarantee the picks on the DL have little to no impact next year.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn, MI
    Posts
    5,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Boudreaux View Post
    Comments? There were no comments, just one comment. I made that comment. From here on out feel free to quote me and then tell me why you disagree. I promise I won't take offense.
    no this was a reference to a lot of people asking if the lions are a better team than last year or not nationally not just this site.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn, MI
    Posts
    5,582
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    I will give it a B-

    As much as I would have rather seen different selections with the first 2 picks, you cannot argue that a team shouldn't benefit from picking the #1 rated CB and #1 rated RB. Expectations though are for them to produce day 1 so I hope they don't just give Swift 5 carries a game and expect him to get better.

    All of the other picks are fine. I wish they would have addressed the DL a little sooner but they went the route of addressing the OL first. You can all but guarantee the picks on the DL have little to no impact next year.
    Julian Okwara should be a major contributor right away...if he didn't break his leg last year he probably wouldn't have been available when we drafted him
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •