Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rate your draft

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Source please.
    So then is he not in the long term plans? Or is the plan more than a backup?

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I thought I wrote somewhere that the Jaguars should go with the QB on his rookie contract. I mean, that's been my mantra for several years now. An average QB on a rookie contract is a great asset. (This may apply to Lock, too.)

The one comment warfelg quoted was before the Jaguars went back to Foles. He played poorly after he became the starter again, so if you have a much cheaper alternative that's better.

I do believe Minshew outplayed Lock last year and Lock didn't even face defenses that had done extensive game-planning on him. Lock only played 5 games and 5 games was also the peak of Minshew mania.
    Oh in that case I agree. If you're going to have an average QB, might as well have one on a cheap contract

I like both Minshew and Lock to be honest. Based on pure arm talent, Lock has much higher potential than Minshew but I was impressed with Minshew as well.

Source please.
    Source: Wentz isn't being traded.

There's your source.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    So then is he not in the long term plans? Or is the plan more than a backup?
    None of us know.

Did the Eagles drat him to be a forever backup? Did they draft him to be a chap short term solution insurance option until a QB needy team comes calling?

I, personally, don't feel Hurts was ONLY drafted to be a long term backup for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Source: Wentz isn't being traded.

There's your source.
    That doesn't mean he was ONLY drafted to be a long term back up.

The Patriots turned Jimmy Garoppolo, also drafted in the 2nd like Hurts (62 vs 53), into a 2nd and 3rd rd pick in 2019...after having a QB on a rookie contract backing up Brady for over 3 years........just sayin'
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    The Patriots turned Jimmy Garoppolo, also drafted in the 2nd like Hurts (62 vs 53), into a 2nd and 3rd rd pick in 2019...after having a QB on a rookie contract backing up Brady for over 3 years........just sayin'
    And that made sense at Brady was 36 at the time, the idea of a QB playing into his 40's like he is was a little "yea right", coming off of (for him) a down season.

And if Philly does this by providing capable qb play if needed, sounds like a win to me.

And that made sense at Brady was 36 at the time, the idea of a QB playing into his 40's like he is was a little "yea right", coming off of (for him) a down season.
    you're talking logic for making the pick, I was just talking eventual result of having made it

there's layers to it, too...as mentioned in another thread, there's also what would be known in business as the opportunity cost.....the cost of making one decision vs another, in other words who COULD they have taken instead that taking Hurts cost them...Epinesa came off the board next

I'm still a little puzzled that they did it, but less so after thinking it thru more than I was at the time.
    Truth be told, I was hoping the Vikings would get him in the 3rd....NOT as a long term backup.
    Last edited by SiteWolf; 04-27-2020 at 04:11 PM.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

you're talking logic for making the pick, I was just talking eventual result of having made it

there's layers to it, too...as mentioned in another thread, there's also what would be known in business as the opportunity cost.....the cost of making one decision vs another, in other words who COULD they have taken instead that taking Hurts cost them...Epinesa came off the board next

I'm still a little puzzled that they did it, but less so after thinking it thru more than I was at the time.
    Truth be told, I was hoping the Vikings would get him in the 3rd....NOT as a long term backup.
    Here's an interesting thing to think of:
    Atlanta Falcons wanted Philly's 1st and 2nd for 16. So is Reagor/Hurt going to offer them more than Lamb? I know that's not something we can answer now, but if we're talking some opportunity cost, think of that flip side of it.

And if Philly does this by providing capable qb play if needed, sounds like a win to me.
    how often has it happened though? its basically the same argument as saying you need a backup like foles to win a superbowl just because foles was magical in that run... things like this have almost a next to no chance of happening and the only reason the 49ers did it was because it was a BB guy.

That's the problem with evaluating picks a day after the draft. It made sense because Brady was 36... except he then went on to never miss a game except for his suspension. He even made MVP in what would have been Garappolo's 4th season. So... not that great of a pick in hindsight.

I wasn't fond of the Hurts pick either. But we can't predict the future. Only time will tell if it was a good pick or not.

B+. Going into this offseason Chris Ballard said the 2 biggest needs was an upgrade at 3 tech and offensive playmakers.

Calling DeForest Buckner a draft pick might be cheating, but they did trade their #1 for him. I think he'll fit in well. Will make everyone on the defense better. Michael Pittman and Jonathan Taylor were good day 2 picks. Colts were the worst team in terms of explosive plays, so both of them should help in that regard.

Julian Blackmon is pretty intriguing Safety. He can play either safety spot and corner. Probably would have been drafted higher if he wasn't injured.

Jacob Eason was worth the rick at 122. At worst it's a wasted 4th round pick, but I think he has high potential. He should benefit from sitting behind Rivers for 1 or 2 years and learning under Frank Reich.

Couple intriguing day 3 picks: Danny Pinter. I view him as someone who will be able to play all along the offensive line, kind of like a Joe Reitz type. Isaiah Rogers and Jordan Glasgow will probably be core special teamers at worst.

I think the first 3 rounds definitely makes this at least a B/B+ level draft.

Only thing I wasn't thrilled with was not drafting TE and more OT depth. I realize this TE class was really bad, but the Colts only have 3 reliable TE's on the roster and one of them is an injury mystery (Trey burton). Wouldn't be surprised if they went hard after TE and OT depth before the season.

Fire Luke Walton

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345