Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2020 NFL Draft Pick 175 Kamal Martin ILB Minnesota

Overview
    Angular linebacker with decent straight-line twitch who takes too long to diagnose and flow, making him a viable block for climbing linemen. He plays upright and a little stiff in his scrapes and doesn't find his run fits as efficiently as he needs to. He can gather and wrap as a tackler, but will struggle to finish elusive backs in the open field and he's unimpressive as a passing-down participant. Martin's lack of early play recognition and elusive flow to ball might push him outside as a 4-3 SAM option.

Strengths

Good upper-body turn to slip blocks
    Triggers for adequate close-out burst to tackle
    Late punch and slide to play off blocks
    Will fill and spill runners into teammates' grasp
    Unflinching and wide-eyed in the hole
    Accurate target points to finish as tackler
    Provides punt/kick coverage potential

Weaknesses

Slow to diagnose and flow allowing blockers to climb up to him
    Doesn't play with enough knee bend
    Content from second level with sparse downhill production
    Lateral movement and change of direction is a little tight
    Lacks feel for blocking schemes and optimal entry point
    Plays under the block, taking himself out of contention
    Coverage movement in space is a little labored

annnndddd the way it sounds we just drafted Blake Martinez 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    annnndddd the way it sounds we just drafted Blake Martinez 2.0
    Another opinion here sounds quite the opposite of Blake

“ College scout Brandian Ross had no issues projecting Martin’s ability to cover at the next level. Pre-injury, they saw him handle several different positions in the passing game with both size and athleticism.

“He can cover tight ends down the field. He has some length and size to him that allows him to be physical with tight ends down the seam,” Ross said. “He’s going to be a guy that will give you a versatile piece when dealing with bigger, faster tight ends because of his ability to run downfield and play out in space and cover backs and tight ends.”

That seems to be a somewhat unique view. Most other reports agree that he has straight line speed, so theoretically he can match seam routes, virtually every other report mentions his poor change of direction and laterally mobility as a hindrance in his ability to cover.

I think with Kamal Martin no one really knows what you're getting. I don't think he's Blake Martinez, he's got better speed. Martinez though I think was also a little more polished coming in his floor and ceiling were not that far apart. Martin, I don't know what the ceiling is because he didn't play consistently at a spot for me to get a good read on the guy. Athletically he compares well to Cory Littleton, and I think that's the progression you're going to look with this guy. Probably won't be a sexy pick, I expect him like Littleton to be an ST guy for this year and maybe next. Littleton is what they are hoping for, Christian Jones a middle ground, Justin Cole is what they may get.

Early reports are that Martin is making plays in camp. Now I always take that with a grain of salt. This time last year M Adams was poised to have a big year and did nothing. Josh Jones early camp had glowing reports. So I'm not going to get too excited, but reports sound good this early on Martin.

Every year some ILB is taking over, last year it was the OU guy that undrafted. It never ends, it never happens. I don't buy it.

TBH I think the media just forces it.

I actually am buying this one to an extent, maybe not fully. Not saying he will be a star, but from what I have heard from multiple sources, not just the GB press circle was Oren Burks may have been a surprise roster bubble candidate if Martin didn't get hurt. At a minimum it looked like Martin not Burks was being considered playing opposite Christian Kirksey.

Also, the fact he is designated potentially for return means they have some solid feel about the guy. Sure the reports may be overblown. But even the after math seems to validate his play to "some truth."

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I actually am buying this one to an extent, maybe not fully. Not saying he will be a star, but from what I have heard from multiple sources, not just the GB press circle was Oren Burks may have been a surprise roster bubble candidate if Martin didn't get hurt. At a minimum it looked like Martin not Burks was being considered playing opposite Christian Kirksey.

Also, the fact he is designated potentially for return means they have some solid feel about the guy. Sure the reports may be overblown. But even the after math seems to validate his play to "some truth."
    Usually there's some truth to alot of it, but typically speaking, it's tough to say until guys actually get on the field with real stakes against other teams that you start to see stuff. And that's what happened with Jones and all those guys too. Camp and scrimmages are different from games. No doubt Martin has looked good, but seeing as we've been burned in the past by being hopeful on that stuff, I'm not getting my hopes up until he's actually playing in live nfl games.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post

The designation def doesn't matter this year FYI, you have a 3 game IR period before you can return and you have unlimited returns. You can 3 game IR every guy on your team and let them all come back.

Just in case anyone else missed that too. This year they can all come back.