Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 NFL Draft Pick 62 AJ Dillion RB Boston College

Overview
    Built like a minibus but possessing enough vision and finesse to avoid being pigeon-holed as just a pure power back. Dillon is capable of handling heavy workloads and wearing down defenses, but there is a concern from evaluators that it's taken a physical toll on him. He's a disciplined runner who trusts his blocking scheme and follows his rush track. He's a good one-cut runner with below-average wiggle but natural power to create yards after contact. Dillon will find more space as he faces fewer loaded boxes as a pro, but dropping weight and adding quickness could be the difference between a future as a committee back or starter.

Strengths

Carries weight easily on big, well-proportioned frame
    Above-average athletic traits for such a big runner
    Went for 150-plus rushing yards in almost 42 percent of his career starts
    Finds paydirt, with 39 career rushing touchdowns
    Can move piles or leap over them
    Absorbs contact like a big linebacker
    Trusts the process and follows design of the rush track
    Reads block development and acts decisively
    Has grind-it-out mentality, but pitch plays and outside zone suits him
    Stiff-arm cleans up the angles on the perimeter
    Able to sort the rush and find his protection most of the time
    Size to square and slow charging linebackers

Weaknesses

May need to play lighter for increased quickness
    Ran odometer high through rough terrain in BC offense
    Scouts concerned about long-term durability
    Not much creativity to elude sudden traffic in his face
    One-cuts when deeper press of the line is needed
    Burst to second level is just OK
    Needs to square and accelerate into contact more consistently
    Not a natural pass-catcher
    Feet get stagnant taking on moving targets against blitz

Meh. Disliking this draft more and more.

Yeah the qb pick is a crystal ball thing. Dont like it now but it could end up being good. I dont like this one at all.

Packers have the perfect complement to Aaron Jones. We don't have a physical bruiser type and this is what Dillon will be. A massive, powerful and physical with excellent straight line speed for his size. Despite his big frame he is very agile. He will be a nightmare for defenders in space. He can take contact and fights for each yard. Strong powerful runner can move the pile. Good awareness in pass protection. This is a huge plus for the Packers. Outstanding face up blocker. Highly productive in college.

Needs tom seasoning on technique, and timing is a hair off some time, but his overall power overcomes these. Not much of a receiver, but a true blue RB. Offers almost nothing in the receiving game. Was featured very little as a pass catcher and he doesnít profile as a strong route runner. He gives us a RB we don't have. His upside is pretty high. He's the size is great, could truck some defenders.

He improves the physicality of the offense which has struggled to be physical. A real bruiser. Packers should see instant value with this pick. Great athlete 9.84 RAS score. Athletic profile similar to Ricky Williams, Nick Chubb, David Johnson and is built like Mike Alstott. Unique player who fits LaFleur's scheme well.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    So. As a Bears Fan.... I gotta admit I love this draft for you guys. 13-3 team and I dont think either of your first two picks make an impact to move the needle forward right now. That said. I can at least make Sense of this one. With Williams and Jones as FA next year. You probably dont want to pay them. So at least you have a RB of the future.

But seriously if I was a packer fan I would be very upset. Your Defense actually got better last year. You felt Close. And yet the FO seems more focused on the future then winning now.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    So. As a Bears Fan.... I gotta admit I love this draft for you guys. 13-3 team and I dont think either of your first two picks make an impact to move the needle forward right now. That said. I can at least make Sense of this one. With Williams and Jones as FA next year. You probably dont want to pay them. So at least you have a RB of the future.

But seriously if I was a packer fan I would be very upset. Your Defense actually got better last year. You felt Close. And yet the FO seems more focused on the future then winning now.
    We will keep Jones. Iíll be pissed if we donít. Iím not opposed to taking our potential starting QB if they think heís the guy. But RB round 2 was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    We will keep Jones. Iíll be pissed if we donít. Iím not opposed to taking our potential starting QB if they think heís the guy. But RB round 2 was dumb.
    Im not convinced. I dont think they trust jones to stay healthy to commit to him. Again, this may not he a bad pick but so far this is a total rebuild draft and not what any of us wouldve expected.

And now a te. Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    Im not convinced. I dont think they trust jones to stay healthy to commit to him. Again, this may not he a bad pick but so far this is a total rebuild draft and not what any of us wouldve expected.
    Jones isnít injury prone tho

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Would you pay him 12 mil a year.... thats what Spotrac has him estimated at in terms of contract ? IDK if you think he is that great? I also am not 100% sure he gets that. But its just what I have been able to find. And Paying a RB is not allways the best idea in terms of team comp.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    Would you pay him 12 mil a year.... thats what Spotrac has him estimated at in terms of contract ? IDK if you think he is that great? I also am not 100% sure he gets that. But its just what I have been able to find. And Paying a RB is not allways the best idea in terms of team comp.
    Yeah Iíd pay him around that give or take a few. Outside of Adams heís the only other legit weapon we have

I think Mike Owen the scout described how this pick makes sense Dillon is thunder to Jones' lightning. I think LaFleur was looking for a Derrick Henry type player again.

He didnít look all that fast in the highlights lol

He didnít look all that fast in the highlights lol
    I think because he looks so big he looks slower than he is. Not a burner, but solid speed for a bruiser.

Dillon is a fine player but he wasn't a 2nd round prospect. And after taking a QB, he was a luxury.

He has virtually no wiggle or creativity. To date, he's offered virtually nothing in the pass game and given his lack of wiggle and creativity, it's a pretty fair guess to say he's never going to be a route runner at RB. The only way this move makes sense is if we let Jones walk. And if Jones is walking, our offense goes from arguably the least dynamic group in the nfl to unquestionably the least dynamic group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast