Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    He is so much better than Kellen Davis lol.
    Don't you dare disparage Kellen Davis like that.

He was Adam Shaheen before there was Adam Shaheen.

Kmet produced in every big game this year. Notably the Georgia game where he was probably the 2nd best player in the field that game. ND didnít utilize him to his fullest potential. He was also just getting started at ND. Had he stayed he another year, Iíd project an 800-1000 YDs 8-10 TDs weapon. If you watch his tape, he had some Gronk Esque plays. They both use their frame to make catches similar

Kmet also had some offseasons where he did baseball too now his life is fully Football and his frame can add muscle . Crazy he just turned 21 in March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Even though Iím not a fan of the pick, the NFL is probably better suited for a TE anyway. His skills can be better utilized in the pro game. Just to play devilís advocate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Even though Iím not a fan of the pick, the NFL is probably better suited for a TE anyway. His skills can be better utilized in the pro game. Just to play devilís advocate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think anyone is saying he's a bad player, just a poor value where he was taken.

43rd Pick: TE, Cole Kmet

Poor value for who tho? Everyone makes this job sound so easy. Things change on the fly , if you have conviction on a player then you take that player . I get we could have used more picks and there are players YOU may like but that might not be what pace or Nagy want for their team. Maybe they could have traded down and got Cole who knows but you also canít be for certain that happens even with how the draft is going after he was selected lol. You donít know if another team wouldnít have taken him or that somebody trades up to get him. TE Class was meh but he was the best one this year and would have been a 1st or 2nd or 3rd round TE in any other draft. He wasnít my first choice but he did feel a need and in a system that weíve seen needs a capable TE I canít really poo on this selection. I think
    He will become a good TE and has been praised by a good deal of scouts .

Last edited by Stunner; 04-25-2020 at 02:27 PM.

https://twitter.com/nbcsbears/status...373810691?s=21

Surprised how down so many are on this pick. I personally really like the player and the pick. He could really help open things up in the passing game and running game.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying he's a bad player, just a poor value where he was taken.
    Poor value for a team with that didnít have miserable TE production? Maybe. The right pick for a team that had almost b2b picks in the 2nd round, and had one of the worst TE groups in recent memory. And we canít use the Graham signing as a reason to put this pick down. Heís at the end of his career. Him being our TE1 made it that much more important to solidify his future replacement. We gotta gem in Kmet

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Poor value for a team with that didnít have miserable TE production? Maybe. The right pick for a team that had almost b2b picks in the 2nd round, and had one of the worst TE groups in recent memory. And we canít use the Graham signing as a reason to put this pick down. Heís at the end of his career. Him being our TE1 made it that much more important to solidify his future replacement. We gotta gem in Kmet
    BPA means BPA and has nothing to do with team need. I see little foundation for any argument that Kmet was BPA, and it's debatable that he was even the best TE in what is universally agreed to be a lousy, lousy class that didn't see another one taken for another 50 picks after Kmet. The Bears had plenty of needs they could've addressed with 43 on much more immediately impactful players.

I hope Kmet ends up being better than expected, but again, universally, this pick is not boding well. I don't know where this idea he's suddenly a gem comes from.

The idea that he is the best tight end in this class is the consensus opinion of most analysts. You can argue about how accurate they are,but they are paid to analyze these players and are probably more accurate than most fans, regardless of how many misses there are. The fact that the next tight end taken wasn't taken for 50 picks strengthens the idea he was the best in most teams opinion, unless you think he would have lasted another 50 picks. People keep saying O-line OL, O-Line!!!!! In today's NFL, TE's play as O-line in lots of sets, so getting a better TE strengthens the O-line!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by infinity2152 View Post
    The idea that he is the best tight end in this class is the consensus opinion of most analysts. You can argue about how accurate they are,but they are paid to analyze these players and are probably more accurate than most fans, regardless of how many misses there are. The fact that the next tight end taken wasn't taken for 50 picks strengthens the idea he was the best in most teams opinion, unless you think he would have lasted another 50 picks. People keep saying O-line OL, O-Line!!!!! In today's NFL, TE's play as O-line in lots of sets, so getting a better TE strengthens the O-line!!!!
    You refer to the experts on TE rankings, but you completely neglect the fact they also universally panned the Bears going TE when they did. Theoretically, it's possible that NFL execs viewed Kmet as being a superior prospect to the rest of the class and that's why it took 50 picks for another one to be taken, but I think the evidence is more suggesting that Pace reached.

Walterfootball has Trautman ahead of Kmet, CBS had Kmet as their 64th ranked prospect overall and only 16 ahead of Trautman. PFF had Trautman ahead of Kmet (though neither cracked their top 80).

There's plenty of reasons for people to be frustrated and disagreeable with the pick. Also Kmet's blocking doesn't seem to even be a strength based on the scouting reports.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 04-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.

The other problem is this one. The Bears aren't in a great position to not have more immediate impact from their 2nd round pick.

If you're going to cite expert rankings, Kmet's consensus ranking from 54 different draft boards was 60. Then (as Bibs has mentioned) there wasn't a single TE selected in the next 50(!) picks. That's pretty telling when you consider how every other team viewed the strength of the position in this class. Lastly, I don't think Pace has earned any benefit of the doubt when it comes to evaluating the position. His track record in addressing TE is, uh, poor, to say the least.

Again, he's not a bad player, but the value just wasn't there. Plenty of, arguably better, players fitting obvious needs were there. Winfield Jr, Josh Jones, Jeremy Chinn, Denzel Mims, and several others.

Ironically, Jaylon Johnson had a consensus ranking of 45, so we may have gotten a small value in him.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 04-26-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post

The other problem is this one. The Bears aren't in a great position to not have more immediate impact from their 2nd round pick.
    Yeah, something people need to be prepared for is Kmet not doing much as a Rookie. Even TJ Hockenson, a much better prospect than Kmet, had a poor Rookie season. George Kittle was just okay as a Rookie, same with Ertz, Kelce didn't even play, Graham didn't offer much besides being a red zone threat... and so on.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast