Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Quote Originally Posted by hester23fan4va View Post
    Dickerson said he was best in the draft, how is that not a positive comment? I'm sure there are opinions of every nature, that's why i have no issue with yours.

the traded down argument, as if 31 other teams were willing to trade for 43. Can't know that, will never know that. Assuming that wasn't an option, we'll just have to see how those guys plan out. Regardless, getting the guy they want whether first or second or third, why not? better than hoping and not getting. what's the phrase, 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

I made the same point and it's a good one. Best TE in the draft, at #43, solid to good pick. I'd give it a B, B-. The defense was great last year and yeah there were holes all over, but the most glaring was TE for sure. As Nagy/Pace agree it's essential to this offense.
    FWIW.... Pace said himself they had offers to trade down.... but when Kmet and johnson were there they liked them too much and could not pass. I but it on Johnson but i personally think we could have traded down a handful of spots and still got Kmet. Jets and Steelers were the only 2 between 43-50 that may have gone TE. Jets did trade out.... but IMO if nobody jumped us after cutting burton 2 days ago.... I don't think Kmet was that highly coveted. But i could be wrong.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

43rd Pick: TE, Cole Kmet

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    I 100% disagree. You can tell me via your eyes he does but go back and watch Adam Shaheen vs D3 level comp and he looks alot more athletic than he does vs NFL players. I think Trautman will be very similar and not be able to use what is clearly the best athlete on the field excuse anymore.
    Trautman at senior bowl against a non d3 athlete , Trautman moves more like a Kittle on the field. Trautman legit plays his drill numbers. Itís prob gonna take time but the main thing with Shaheenís development he never stayed healthy and that has hurt him. Maybe if he did we would be having a different discussion but being available is the reason Shaheen is a failed pick Cuz it lead to more of his downfall

https://twitter.com/daltonbmiller/st...004503553?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Stunner; 05-01-2020 at 06:12 PM.

the traded down argument, as if 31 other teams were willing to trade for 43. Can't know that, will never know that. Assuming that wasn't an option, we'll just have to see how those guys plan out. Regardless, getting the guy they want whether first or second or third, why not? better than hoping and not getting. what's the phrase, 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.
    I've already brought it up in the past, but Pace literally said they had opportunities to trade back with 43. Additionally, there were two trades made that were similar in nature to the kind we all wanted around that time:

Patriots receive 60th (2) and 129th picks (4)
    Ravens receive 71st (3) and 98th (3)

Seahawks receive 48th pick (2)
    Jets receive 59th (2) and 101st (3)

I have a hard time believing there weren't any trades available to the Bears that would've at least gotten them into the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Only I don't know that I think it's impossible Jimmy has good ball left in him, it's likely he's better than what we had last year, but I don't see any justification for this contract. He wasn't going to get that kinda money elsewhere and there were better alternatives that got paid less. I think it's fair to say Pace rushed the market here.
    He wouldn't be a terrible 2nd TE option if he wasn't getting paid like an impact starter. He is, and it's an awful awful contract.
    you think Jimmy is better than what the bears had (meaning their TEs aren't good), obviously disliked this signing, thinking he got over paid (agree there), think he's a 2nd TE getting paid as a starter (pretty much agree).

I can't argue and don't want to speculate that those other guys you listed could have been impact players, hell there were guys taken in the 4th 5th 6th round that could very well be impact players day one, be it ST or maybe they just get a shot, i don't know, but man without drafting Kmet, without knowing for certain he'd be available later, I'm curious what you expected the bears to do to address subpar TE group?

agree to disagree. i like the pick, i think he's solid, has a lot of potential, given the crap the bears have and the importance of the position, could very well be an impact player right away. God i just hope we have a season

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    FWIW.... Pace said himself they had offers to trade down.... but when Kmet and johnson were there they liked them too much and could not pass. I but it on Johnson but i personally think we could have traded down a handful of spots and still got Kmet. Jets and Steelers were the only 2 between 43-50 that may have gone TE. Jets did trade out.... but IMO if nobody jumped us after cutting burton 2 days ago.... I don't think Kmet was that highly coveted. But i could be wrong.
    maybe, i hear you tho

I've already brought it up in the past, but Pace literally said they had opportunities to trade back with 43. Additionally, there were two trades made that were similar in nature to the kind we all wanted around that time:

Patriots receive 60th (2) and 129th picks (4)
    Ravens receive 71st (3) and 98th (3)

Seahawks receive 48th pick (2)
    Jets receive 59th (2) and 101st (3)

I have a hard time believing there weren't any trades available to the Bears that would've at least gotten them into the 4th.
    hard to know for certain. maybe bears traded down and someone else was like ****, he's there at 45, trade up. it's impossible to know, but maybe

I woulda preferred we went Winfield then Kmet. But I wanted Kmet a lot.

It seemed like our FO valued corner over Safety, so if thatís the case, Johnson was probably best Available. They got what they wanted out of the draft.

I wonít sit here and pretend I know what our later picks or any pick for that matter are gonna turn out to be. Johnson was a 1st round grade according to some. Kmet was Best available out of our biggest need. With no first round pick. Iíll rate our 1st 2 days a B. I would have rated Winfield/Kmet an A

Argue corner position is more important than SS in the grand scheme of things especially when you have a FS like Eddie . If we had a SS and no FS to cover the field Iíll prob go that way but I think Jaylon will be a more impactful player long term than Winfield

Traurman's gonna take time, most likely, but he's a more fluid athlete than Kmet. The one I had my eye on throughout the draft process was Dalton Keene, and the Pats drafted him way higher than anyone expected in the 3rd. He tested as a better all around athlete than any TE in this class. Only reason he wasn't more coveted is lower usage in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best TE from this class in a few years.

Anyway, just an example of how closely bunched together this TE class was, and why some of us still don't like the value.

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    His Notre Dame coach compared him to Kelce and Eifert.

3 Cone
    Kelce - 7.09
    Eifert - 6.92
    Kmet - 7.44
    Shaheen - 7.09

Recievers on average run a 6.9, TE run 7.17.

His agility tests concern me a bit. Shaheen had better testing agility but that never showed up on the field. Hopefully his true athletic potential is shown by his broad/vert jumping ability. He did just turn 21, there's still time to refine his agility and he hasn't hit his athletic peak yet.

Still....Trade down. Even a few slots. Like most here, hated the value. Even if they moved down and stayed in the 40's while picking up 1 mid round pick I wouldn't have minded grabbing him as much.

All in all. At least we aren't the Packers. I would take our draft over theirs even though they had more picks and a 1st rounder.
    Their TE reach was so much worse. Josiah whatever was projected 6/7th round and went before Trautman in the 3rd.
    How the **** did Shaheen have a 7.09 3 cone? Iím not doubting you but thatís just crazy to me. He looks slow, clumsy, uncoordinated, and not fluid whatsoever.

For the record, I feel good amount the Kmet pick. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunner View Post
    Argue corner position is more important than SS in the grand scheme of things especially when you have a FS like Eddie . If we had a SS and no FS to cover the field Iíll prob go that way but I think Jaylon will be a more impactful player long term than Winfield

Not even sure if you're trying to defend the Kmet pick here cause you didn't mention him, but it's the Kmet thread and I'm interpreting this like "it doesn't matter that we took Kmet cause we ended up getting someone more impactful than Winfield."

If they don't play the same position why does it matter who will be more impactful? People were drooling making comparisons to the Legion of Boom in the draft thread. I don't get why it's so awful to be disappointed with Kmet at 43. If he traded back 5-10 spots and took him there, and got us into the 4th round, I'd have no complaints. As it stands, I have yet to hear any real argument against the idea it wasn't just a straight up reach. It's not the worst pick or worst prospect ever, but it's still bad.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 05-01-2020 at 08:15 PM.

hard to know for certain. maybe bears traded down and someone else was like ****, he's there at 45, trade up. it's impossible to know, but maybe
    It is hard to know for certain. But if we're playing that game how can we be critical of any pick? We have to go based on what information is available, and all the information that does exist suggests that Kmet at 43 is a reach.

You might like Kmet and think he's a better prospect than the rest of the tight ends in this draft, but do you think he's 50 picks better than the next guy? Even if the Bears traded back and missed out on him, you don't think there were 2 prospects substantially more valuable that they could have gotten with a tradeback? Is he a guy that anyone thinks is "can't miss" at that point in the draft? I just don't see it. I think it's more likely internally that there were executives laughing at the Bears for that pick than envying them.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 05-01-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Not even sure if you're trying to defend the Kmet pick here cause you didn't mention him, but it's the Kmet thread and I'm interpreting this like "it doesn't matter that we took Kmet cause we ended up getting someone more impactful than Winfield."

If they don't play the same position why does it matter who will be more impactful? People were drooling making comparisons to the Legion of Boom in the draft thread. I don't get why it's so awful to be disappointed with Kmet at 43. If he traded back 5-10 spots and took him there, and got us into the 4th round, I'd have no complaints. As it stands, I have yet to hear any real argument against the idea it wasn't just a straight up reach. It's not the worst pick or worst prospect ever, but it's still bad.
    Wasnít even responding to your post was talking to the post above saying he liked Kmet but would have gave it an A if it was Kmet and Winfield than Jaylon and Kmet .

Pace just flat out annoys me in every draft, some more than others. Hes just so rigid in his process and needs to stop getting locked onto players. This draft was a perfect opportunity to recoup some of the picks that he lost because of his incessant need to trade up.

The only time his trade up turned out well was with Eddie IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Pace just flat out annoys me in every draft, some more than others. Hes just so rigid in his process and needs to stop getting locked onto players. This draft was a perfect opportunity to recoup some of the picks that he lost because of his incessant need to trade up.

The only time his trade up turned out well was with Eddie IIRC.
    I was happy about the trade up for Anthony Miller. I think injuries and bad QBís are the only thing that hold him back. Still think the guy is capable of being a great WR

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I was happy about the trade up for Anthony Miller. I think injuries and bad QBís are the only thing that hold him back. Still think the guy is capable of being a great WR
    I still think there's untapped potential in him too. At least with Floyd & Miller those guys weren't just worthless busts. Just haven't become impact talents that we needed.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast