Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

NFL Draft Day 2 Thread

The Bengals are back on the clock, now looking to get some help for Joe Burrow

Trent Williams only hope lies with the Vikings for a trade after the first round went horribly for him, as all other teams linked to him drafted tackles. Does a darkhorse trade candidate emerge? The Redskins aren't moving from wanting "second round value" for him.

Lots of talent at WR still available, and lots of teams with picks to make moves. The Patriots and Vikings have a ton, with 12 and 13 left respectively, and could make a lot of noise moving around on Day 2.

Xavier McKinney looks really hurt by his 40 time at the combine. Many of the draft experts pegged him with a mid-first grade. When does he finally go off the board?

Remember when people thought Delpit would be a top 5 pick? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Or Fromm/Eason could sneak in Rd 1 at pick 29-32.

Little Pats primer:

Xavier McKinney and AJ Epensa I think are awesome fits for us. I think they fit perfectly in Pat Chung/Trey Flowers roles.

Ross Blacklock, Zack Baun and Yetur Gross-Matos, Josh Uche are all interesting fits on defense too. A little bit off from a size/playing style to what we normally go for buy sometimes you have to embrace change to accommodate talent.

I think Denzel Mims could really be a great piece here at WR. Him and Harry could grow with a young QB together.

Cole Kmet or Adam Trautman are probably reaches at #37 but fills the TE void.

Ezra Cleveland could be the long-term answer at RT after Cannon, or maybe at LT if Wynn kicks inside to replace Thuney either through trade or FA next year.

If we're looking at trade backs again the following would match up trade chart value wise...

#37 and #100 to BAL for #55 and #60
    #37 and #139 to DEN for #46 and #95
    #37 and #172 to LAR for #52 and #84
    #37 and #125 to DAL for #51 and #82

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...qb-jalen-hurts

And I'll just throw that out there. If Hurts really is the QB they want, #23 would have been too high, but we wouldn't have had the ammo to move up from the late 3rd to get him in round 2. Even #37 Is probably higher than we need to take Hurts but do another trade back and it would make more sense. This all assuming of course that he is the guy they like. I hope not, but when Stidham and Hoyer are your QBs you definitely need to be willing to take a guy you like at that spot.

Looking into the 3rd round, they probably will take an ILB at some point. Logan Wilson, Malik Harrison, Willie Gray all could be fits. Matt Hennessy could be the long term center (David Andrews a FA after the season). Devon Hamilton or Reakwon Davis could fit in the DT rotation. K'Von Wallace could be a long-tern Chung replacement. Matt Peart could be a fit at RT for us long term. With the depth of the WR and RB classes we could capitalize on value there. And then of course if we don't get a QB int he second one could be a target in the 3rd.

Also here are posts I made in another thread about potential players trades:

Interested to see if the Pats make any player trades. We're right against the cap and need to make moves.

I mentioned Thuney earlier. We save his franchise tender amount if he's traded - $14.8M. But, he'd leave a hole without anyone proven to step in. And a young, all pro-ish level player isn't something you want to give away when you're an old team devoid of talent. But, it's not like he's a HOFer. Could definitely be worth the cap savings in the short term if they don't feel like paying him long term.

Pat Chung continues to be a really good player for us in his second stint here. But he's getting older. We save $2.2M if he's traded. If we land McKinney at #37 I could definitely see this. He'd be very affordable to his new team (2 years, $5M in salary/workout bonus plus up to another $400K each year in per game roster bonuses). He can't play deep safety but he's great at everything else really. If the Pats land McKinney though it might just make sense to move on now rather than wait for him to decline. But for another team it'd be a nice add on the cheap.

James White continues to be one of the best receiving backs in the game. But the problem is, he's almost a dead giveaway that you're passing the ball. Without Brady masterfully reading defenses, that type of dead giveaway could be tougher to deal with on the offense. He's in the last year of his deal now and we can save $3.5M by trading him. Theoretically, last year's 3rd rounder Damien Harris should be ready to take on a year 2 role (similar to how Shane Vereen and White himself were mostly non factor red shirt rookies before taking on big year 2 roles). If they can further bolster RB with a player they like today/tomorrow (supposedly a deep class) I could see them acting a year early on White.

Mohammed Sanu was a bust for us last year, but I expect better if he's back. He got here midseason and battled injuries. Never really got to practice with Brady either, who was also missing practice with injuries. I think he'll be a good player. But, it's a deep WR class and while we lack top end talent we do have depth. So if we tap into the draft, someone worthy of a roster spot has to go. Sanu saves $6.5M if traded which is a pretty big chunk of change. I could see a team who just doesn't end up coming away with a receiver throwing us a late pick for him. Won't be much value, outside of cap savings.

Marcus Cannon is still a solid RT. But we can free up $4.5M by trading him. If we land an NFL ready replacement today I could see them maybe doing that. If we wait until June 1st to trade him though the savings jump up to $7.1M. So if he is dealt, this is more likely a later on thing for a pick next year IMO.

^ To add to my Pats player trade speculations on the other side (acquiring players).

There continues to be smoke with OJ Howard in TB. I've mentioned a White for Howard swap where TB gets their receiving back they need for an "extra" TE.

With so many picks, if the price isn't much as has been rumored, I could see us taking a chance on Fournette. Having him could help us turn to a QB-friendly run based offense around Stidham.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Did people really think that?

Your baby can't do this

I'm kinda hoping that Denver takes about receiver today. We have Sutton and Jeudy which is a great 1 and 2, but we don't really have anyone behind them and we need a slot receiver for Shurmur's offense.

We also need a center, a corner, and preferably a middle linebacker.

If we can somehow get Jaylon Johnson and Shenault, I'll be ecstatic!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Did people really think that?
    Yeah in like January.... He fell off quickly though

I'm kinda hoping that Denver takes about receiver today. We have Sutton and Jeudy which is a great 1 and 2, but we don't really have anyone behind them and we need a slot receiver for Shurmur's offense.

Iíd really like the Denver offense. I love Sutton and Jeudy should be fantastic.

What are their other needs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Iíd really like the Denver offense. I love Sutton and Jeudy should be fantastic.

Agreed. Jeudy is gonna be a really good WR in my opinion. His route running is fantastic, he will be open a lot for lock

Your baby can't do this

Keep in mind that with a strong draft class at WR you could maybe grab one in the 4th that contributed well enough as a 3rd wide receiver.

I like what DEN is doing. I think a young QB and a young WR core could struggle though with this whole COVID situation though. So I could see maybe some of the offensive progress you guys look to build on stalling some unfortunately.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

My Steelers wish list is JK Dobbins, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, or move up for Yetur Gross-Matos in the 2nd.

Alton Robinson, Bryce Hall, Damien Lewis, Kyle Dugger in the 3rd.

I find it interesting that Percy Harvin chose draft week...during a pandemic...to announce he'd like to play again

....but he'd still be someone for a team to take a look at once the dust from the draft clears
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Keep in mind that with a strong draft class at WR you could maybe grab one in the 4th that contributed well enough as a 3rd wide receiver.

I like what DEN is doing. I think a young QB and a young WR core could struggle though with this whole COVID situation though. So I could see maybe some of the offensive progress you guys look to build on stalling some unfortunately.
    Thatís true. Rookie camp and OTAs might start later this year

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post

Yeah man... It's pretty crazy how improved it should be

On offense we need a center pretty badly. We could use another receiver as well

On defense we need a corner, a cover linebacker, and some depth on the defensive line

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Or Fromm/Eason could sneak in Rd 1 at pick 29-32.
    Wouldn't wish Fromm on my own worst enemy.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast