Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Ootp

Ootp

Without baseball I broke down and got OOTP. Just started 2020. Cardinals started off 9-4 then Flaherty tore his UCL and now on a 8 game losing streak.

Never thought I would get so frustrated with the Cardinals when the actual team hasn't even played a game, lol.

Only downside to OOTP is that there is so much detail and information. I don't think I have the brainpower to keep track of the entire minor league system, lol

Trying to get something for Cecil before I DFA him. Hoping I can turn this season around before I get fired in my first year.

If anyone has played OOTP, let me know how everyone's franchises are going.

I've never played OOTP, but I have played in some Diamond Mind run leagues. Lots of fun for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Without baseball I broke down and got OOTP. Just started 2020. Cardinals started off 9-4 then Flaherty tore his UCL and now on a 8 game losing streak.

Never thought I would get so frustrated with the Cardinals when the actual team hasn't even played a game, lol.

Only downside to OOTP is that there is so much detail and information. I don't think I have the brainpower to keep track of the entire minor league system, lol

Trying to get something for Cecil before I DFA him. Hoping I can turn this season around before I get fired in my first year.

If anyone has played OOTP, let me know how everyone's franchises are going.
    I am OOTP obsessed, and have been playing since OOTP8, and I played Mogul for years prior to that.

No game does the GM role better.

If you are overwhelmed by the minor league system, go to Manager Options, and change the controls, so your minor league managers handle that, and just spend more on development system, and you can largely ignore it.

I've got a few I do.

I have a historical replay I like to do, where I usually pick a point in time in history and work with them all developing. I took over the 01 Cardinals with a young Drew, Ankiel, and Pujols recently and it's fun, but it's easy to dominate. Rolen, Edmonds, Pujols and Drew all had Hall of Fame careers.

My 2020 Cards, I went 98-64, lost in the NLCS to the Dodgers

WAR leaders

K. Wong - 5.8 - 122 wRC+
    H. Bader - 4.9 - 107 wRC+
    P. Goldschmidt - 4.5 - 134 wRC+
    P. DeJong - 4.0 - 118 wRC+
    D. Carlson - 3.2 - 145 wRC+ in 88 games
    M. Carpenter - 2.2 - 119 wRC+

Worst players
    T. O'Neill - -0.1 - 89 wRC+
    T. Edman - 0.4 - 81 wRC+
    D. Fowler - 1.0 - but had a 123 wRC+

We had a 102 wRC+ as a team

Pitching leaders

J. Flaherty - 5.9 - 2.93 ERA - 199 innings
    C. Martinez - 3.3 - 3.60 ERA - 170 innings
    M. Mikolas - 2.3 - 3.86 ERA - 149 innings
    D. Hudson - 2.1 WAR - 3.49 ERA

Worst pitchers
    John Gant, Junior Fernandez, and I traded for Ian Kennedy at the deadline but he was trash for, and John Brebbia

Was a remarkably good season

Went to 2021, went 95-67

signed Michael Brantley to a one year deal in free agency and traded for Corey Dickerson.

Matt Carpenter had his career best season with a 166 wRC+ and a 6.0 WAR in 479 AB. Dylan Carlson managed a 5.4 WAR

I also traded for Matthew Boyd at the deadline and he wasn't as good as I had hoped, but was average. Flaherty went 19-4 with a 1.99 ERA. Carlos was trash, 11-17 with 5.07 ERA and Mikolas had a 5.83 ERA. So those guys sucked really badly.

Oh, I had also signed Kirby Yates, and he was amazing

I'm currently 83-60 in 2022.

I don't play every inning of every game, I just set the lineup and rotation, and then sim the game. So I get by a lot faster.

I also do an Adopt a Prospect thread if anyone ever wants to join (though too late for this one)
    https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=313284

So I do 3
    1, where it's easy and fun to dominate and it's unrealistic
    2, where I keep it realistic and have self imposed rules
    3, where I adopt prospects and watch them play
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 04-26-2020 at 12:15 AM.

Yeah my first season was a disaster lol. Everyone got hurt. Lost Flaherty for the season early then lost DeJong, Molina, Edman, Wong, and Mikolas for long stretches of time. Ended up going 76-86. Reds won the division and lost in the World Series to the Yankees.

I was able to pull off trades that would not happen in real life for giving up nothing. I used the shop player function and picked the best I could get for the player usually. I was able to get Eddie Rosario (for Brad Miller and minor league 1b) and Zach Britton (for Brett Cecil and Yanks included 20% of Britton salary) When DeJong went down I had to trade for Jose Peraza to fill in. At the deadline I was like 10 games below .500 and the Yanks were peddling Stanton on me so I was like whatever lets see what happens and I gave them Tyler O'Neill and Rangel Ravelo and Yanks are paying 20% of Stanton's contract. When Molina was out for like 2 months I was able to trade for Wilson Ramos for Max Shrock, John Gant, and Evan Gattis (who I signed minor league deal after molina went out). Molina ended up retiring so it worked out. Locked both Rosario and Ramos to 2 yr extensions. Also extended Wong 5 yr/ $78m.

In the offseason, I am letting Wainwright and Wieters go to FA. With Ramos locked up for 2 years I snagged one of the Rays Cs in the Rule 5 as a back up and will keep Knizer in AAA and for insurance. To shed salary I traded Matt Carpenter to Boston for Rusney Castillo whom I ended up releasing right after the trade. I was able to use that money to sign Justin Turner to 2 yr/$50m, Dellin Betances 2Yr/$11m and signed Colin McHugh to 1 yr/$6m.

Right now I basically have literally video game line up of

C: Ramos
    2b: Wong
    1b: Goldschmidt
    SS: DeJong
    3b: Turner
    LF: Rosario
    CF: Bader
    RF: Stanton

Bench:
    Rule 5 C
    Peraza
    Edman
    Fowler
    Luerys Garcia (got off waivers from White Sox and he was great)

Rotation

Flaherty
    Martinez
    Hudson
    Mikolas
    Kim

Bullpen

Hicks
    Gallegos
    Betances
    Britton
    Miller
    Zach McAllister (got him off waivers last season from Dodgers and he was great)
    McHugh (as long man)
    Kodi Whitley/Helsley/or Brebbia (depending on who has options left)
    Last edited by cards7; 05-13-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Yeah, I have to do self imposed rules, otherwise it gets too unrealistic.

I have a WAR/$ valuation calculator that I use, which keeps it realistic and keeps trades on the level.

So like, my Corey Dickerson trade

I traded for Dickerson, projected for a 2.5 win season, for $7M
    I traded away Lane Thomas, who with 4 years of control left, is projected for 4.5 wins over the reaming arb years ($12M)

Marlins would rather have the longer control player (rebuilding team) and the salary relief. The WAR/$ ratio works. Dickerson is the superior player for the upcoming season, but Thomas has the better upside.

I'm sure if I did the simulator, I could ask for Dickerson and give them some trash A ball player that is 24. But I try to keep the trades realistic like they would exist in real life.

Note, Dickerson sucked *** for me. Thomas has been just okay for the Marlins so far and is more of a 4th outfielder.