Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    A lot of people hated the Rodgers pick when we still had Favre under center and we saw how that turned out. Rodgers doesn’t have “IT” anymore and I’m glad we are looking towards the future. Hopefully this dude pans out.
    i dont have issues with the pick... i have issues on why we even moved up when nobody near him needed a QB? The rodgers pick was because he fell... this was a reach when we could have just traded back and probably got him. He will sit for 3 years now and we lack a ton of weapons where the vikings/49ers/eagles/cowboys all got better.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i dont have issues with the pick... i have issues on why we even moved up when nobody near him needed a QB? The rodgers pick was because he fell... this was a reach when we could have just traded back and probably got him. He will sit for 3 years now and we lack a ton of weapons where the vikings/49ers/eagles/cowboys all got better.
    But you don’t know that. There could have been other teams willing to trade up and get him. If you think he’s your guy then you go get him. Now it’s on Gutes and LaFluer’s shoulders. If it doesn’t pan out then they’re gone and we go from there. Gotta wait and see how the rest of the draft pans out now.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    It's not about who they traded in front of. Someone was going to trade into the first round to get the 5th year option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    alright lets go with this logic which is fine but not really fine for us... why not wait and see if we can take advantage of someone wanting to trade up with him and save our 4th and likely grab a few 2nds as well? now we get a QB who can sit behind rodgers but wont play for the next 3 years all so we can have 2 years of him before we have to pay him big money?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    But you don’t know that. There could have been other teams willing to trade up and get him. If you think he’s your guy then you go get him. Now it’s on Gutes and LaFluer’s shoulders. If it doesn’t pan out then they’re gone and we go from there. Gotta wait and see how the rest of the draft pans out now.
    fair enough but with this move no chance id let him sit for 3 years... if we drop the ball next year i am shopping rodgers even if rodgers is great.

If we are playing the long game to stay in contention this is the route to go but i dont think we would have the balls to do it.

here is the problem with this move. We should have done this 2 years from now man

Ian Kenyon

@IanKenyonNFL
    By the time Aaron Rodgers' contract is tradeable or cuttable, Green Bay will be deciding if they want to exercise Jordan Love's 5th year option.

2020 NFL Draft Pick 26 Jordan Love QB Utah State

here is the problem with this move. We should have done this 2 years from now man

Ian Kenyon
    [emoji818]
    @IanKenyonNFL
    By the time Aaron Rodgers' contract is tradeable or cuttable, Green Bay will be deciding if they want to exercise Jordan Love's 5th year option.
    But this is wrong. Rodgers is cuttable after 2021 ( in 2 seasons) and they won't have to think about love's option until after 3 seasons.

I think it's a year early but you might not have a chance to get your guy in a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ugottabjoshinme; 04-24-2020 at 08:49 AM.

fair enough but with this move no chance id let him sit for 3 years... if we drop the ball next year i am shopping rodgers even if rodgers is great.

If we are playing the long game to stay in contention this is the route to go but i dont think we would have the balls to do it.
    If Rodgers plays this upcoming season like he did last season you trade him. I’m willing to bet there’d be a team willing to do it. Might not get a ton of return for him but oh well.

I wasn’t thrilled with the pick myself but if they feel like this is their guy then I can’t blame them for going for it. Now it’s on their shoulders. Gute has to know that trading up in the first round for Love is a career defining moment for him. He would pretty much have to nail all his other picks in order to have some sort of job security if Love fails and even then I think we’d move on from Gute.

Ian Kenyon

@IanKenyonNFL
    I guarantee you Love will be starting well before then lol

If anything picking Love could light a fire under Aaron’s *** which would also be a win for us.

That's not true though. You could cut or trade Rodgers after the 2022 season. You'd take a $17 mill cap hit but you'd also save $22 mill in cap. So there's an out after 2 years for sure if we really want it.

But the trade up is what annoys me. Don't act like "that's just how the board fell" because that's not really true. You clearly wanted him and made moves to get him. That 4th rounder could have been very valuable. Not even that we for sure could have gotten a starter, but the depth on this team really isn't all that great. When you don't have cap space, those picks are gold getting even a rotational player that costs you less than a million in cap per season.

I get rodgers isn't what he was. But that's all the more reason to get him weapons and guys who can help quickly. And that doesn't just need to be wr's and rbs. That could be a defensive improvement too.

This was a luxury pick. If we hadn't whiffed on previous picks, I could have gotten on board with it. If guys like Burks, Jackson and M Adams were actually starting caliber players, our team needs are less where we could try to fill them in the 2nd and 3rd. But that's not the case. We need pretty much immediate help at WR, ILB and DL. We could probably use immediate help at TE and maybe CB. We could have needs at OT, OC or OG, RB and CB as early as next year too.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    But the trade up is what annoys me. Don't act like "that's just how the board fell" because that's not really true. You clearly wanted him and made moves to get him. That 4th rounder could have been very valuable. Not even that we for sure could have gotten a starter, but the depth on this team really isn't all that great. When you don't have cap space, those picks are gold getting even a rotational player that costs you less than a million in cap per season.

I get rodgers isn't what he was. But that's all the more reason to get him weapons and guys who can help quickly. And that doesn't just need to be wr's and rbs. That could be a defensive improvement too.

This was a luxury pick. If we hadn't whiffed on previous picks, I could have gotten on board with it. If guys like Burks, Jackson and M Adams were actually starting caliber players, our team needs are less where we could try to fill them in the 2nd and 3rd. But that's not the case. We need pretty much immediate help at WR, ILB and DL. We could probably use immediate help at TE and maybe CB. We could have needs at OT, OC or OG, RB and CB as early as next year too.
    I get this frustration with moving the 4th round pick, but we really can't play the what-if game. No clue if he would have been take or not, but teams could have certainly could have been lurking for Love. Like I said before this will be the make or break move for Brian Gutekunst. He's following his mentors, Wolf got Favre, Ted got Rodgers, and Ted got Love. If they didn't have ways to get back into the 4th I would be much more concerned. I think an aggressive day 2 and early 3 takes away most angst from this deal.

I think it's clear the team is still pretty comfortable with some of the guys they have around. I know it's not popular, but I think they are potentially still sold Oren Burks is a starter. As for DB you can push the need another year by bringing Tramon back, it allows Sullivan, Hollman a year to prove and Jackson a year to figure it out or get out. WR, ILB and DL are all still in play, but I've been certain they are going to push ILB into day 3. IDL not worried outside of Kinlaw all the top prospects are still on the board. WR still has some depth on the board. All in all only one round is done so we can't really get this idea whether or not needs will be neglected. There could be some creative moves yet to come.

What if Gute is a magician and worked something out with Indy? We made sure to get Love for them and now the Packers get either 2 of their next 3 picks, 2-2, 2-12, or 3-11.

And I guess I dont care if he was taken. You trade up for need and instant impact guys, not luxury or 3 years in the future guys. No problem traded up for Darnell savage as he started instantly last year.

If he's there at 30, whatever, then take him. But that wasn't the case. We moved up for a guy who isn't going to help for 2 years at the bare minimum and could be as long as 4 years or more. That's fine if you're a middling team but we made the conference championship game last year. I get Gute said we aren't 1 guy away and I agree. There wasnt 1 player on the board who instantly makes us the favorite. But it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Ross Blacklock or another DL isn't putting us above San Fran. But it gets us closer to them for sure. Even if we still moved up, brooks or queen make the team deeper and very likely better this year and into the future. Same can be said of Mims, Pittman or whoever else you like at WR. They may not be 90 catch/1200 yard wr's, but they can be a 3/4 next year and possibly grow into a 2 as early as their 2nd year. Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland maybe dont make us better next year, but they provide depth next year and likely make us better and cheaper the following year.

So I agree with Gute that 1 guy isn't making a huge difference, but when your roster is pretty good like ours is, we may not need 1 huge difference. A handful of smaller upgrades (and cheaper since we are tight on cap) closes the gap. Love does virtually nothing to close the gap besides maybe keep us slightly more competitive if Rodgers gets hurt. And even that's debatable with the way he played last year.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 04-24-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    What if Gute is a magician and worked something out with Indy? We made sure to get Love for them and now the Packers get either 2 of their next 3 picks, 2-2, 2-12, or 3-11.
    Now that's a possibility. Get everyone in Green Bay pissed off at you, including #12 and then we trade him to the Colts for a better draft slot on day 2. Kind of a mini move like in the movie draft day.

Even if it were 2-12 and 3-11, it's better than 1-30 and 4-30. And we could be asking for 2-2 and 2-12, but settling for 2-2 and 3-11. I like it.

So this is crazy. Me being the voice of reason, when I'm totally on the other side of this, but we need to let day 2 play out before we judge it. What if we trade our 2021 1st to Miami for pick 39. Most of the players we were interested in at 30 would likely still be there. Then we'd have 39 instead of 30, but might get the same player we wanted at 30.

Then you could say we traded our 2021 1st and 136 in 2020 for Jordan Love. Everyone says we shouldn't have done this until 2 years from now, but Jordan Love was going to be on someone else's roster in 2 years. If he ends up being a notch below Patrick Maholmes and we nabbed him this late in the 1st, it could be the best pick we made since we drafted Aaron Rodgers.

There is still opportunity get Rodgers some weapons in this draft. If we get Rodgers the weapons he needs the season is not lost. Forget the RT, we can get him next year. He wasn't going to play anyhow. Lets wait until the end of round 3 and then pass judgement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast