Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2020 NFL Draft Pick 26 Jordan Love QB Utah State

Overview

Challenging evaluation for quarterback-needy teams balancing traits and potential against disappointing 2019 tape. Staff turnover and new starters across the offense are partly to blame for his regression, but self-made flaws in process were also concerns. Love's accuracy took a step back, and his delayed reaction from "see it" to "throw it" when making reads is troubling. He has the arm to stick throws into tight windows but needs better eye discipline and anticipation to keep windows open. His size, mobility and arm talent combined with his 2018 flashes could be a winning hand that leads a team into the future or a siren's song of erratic play and unfulfilled potential.

Strengths

Tall in the pocket and smooth, natural thrower
    Keeps ball tucked and secure while scanning the field
    Tight spirals come from a variety of arm slots
    Offenses built upon intermediate and deep reads/throws
    Confident passer attacking between the hashes
    Makes athletic pocket exits when scrambling
    Good open-field vision and speed to move the sticks
    Arm strength to dime it into windows
    Drops deeps balls in with plenty of air and touch
    In 2018, trusted big receivers to make plays on 50/50s
    Arm talent and swagger to attack field side Cover 2 hole
    Has access to expedited, compact release when pressured

Weaknesses

Consistency and production took massive step backward in 2019
    Looping windup part of slower operation time
    Too much staring and telegraphing
    Six games with multiple interceptions, including three pick-sixes
    Below-average decision-making against zone looks
    Allowed coverage to swarm due to lack of anticipation
    Unusually spotty ball placement forced targets to work for catches
    Completed just 31.8 percent of his deep throws
    Doesn't slide to safer launch points enough
    Will void viable pockets at times
    Needs to use eyes to hold safeties longer
    Issues bringing in off-target snaps, leading to fumbles

nfl.com

Couldn't be more pissed!!!!

dont hate the qb but i hate the pick... why did we trade up? nobody left was in need of a QB.... did we forget the dolphins picked tua???????? i wanted a qb in the 4th round or top 2 rounds next year but we need weapons... rodgers has nothing to work with man

Terrible pick to make this team better... itís a pick to stay mediocre . Good ****ing job

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Terrible pick to make this team better... itís a pick to stay mediocre . Good ****ing job
    and we traded up for it lol

Talk about a shocker. I dont get it at all.

Well the Rodgers era was fun.

Should've been going all in on this last 2-3 year window with him.

I know that a lot of people don't like the pick, but you're looking at a guy who has the upside to be this draft's best QB. The only thing on him is that he would need time to develop. The guy has the look of the QB that the NFL is becoming.

PROS: He is what you are looking for in an NFL QB. He has the size, body, and composition. Love is mobile and athletic and can extend the plays with his feet. He can make throws on the move and off-balanced. He has tremendous arm strength. He is great mechanically. He also can change arm slots as well. Love features a quick release. He keeps his eyes downfield and may have the highest potential from this draft. Aware of his outlets. Has the arm talent to make any throw. Has some impressive moments of ball placement to all levels.

CONS: Decision making. Love will need time to develop. He needs to work on his field vision and awareness, but he will have time to work out these kinks. He sometimes has confidence in his arm to make throws. He needs to improve his field vision and awareness. We will need to develop defense recognition. While there is a lot to like about his willingness to be patient and stay in the pocket, his internal clock is often tardy.

Jordan Love is now in line to be the heir in Green Bay. The Packers have a chance to have about 45+ years of potential pro-bowl level play. He is a dynamic, big arm, mobile. He has no limitations and could end up being this drafts best QB. He gets to the time he needs to develop and he landed in the best place for him. This will be the move that makes or breaks the Brian Gutekunst era in Green Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdh09e44 View Post
    Well the Rodgers era was fun.

Should've been going all in on this last 2-3 year window with him.
    I get the concept of maximizing Rodgers, but don't understand how this argument can continue to be made. I get why the move is unpopular. The Packers don't take WR's in round 1, statistically first-round WR's are usually bust. Also, a ton of stud WR's are on the board still Pittman, Mims, Shenault, Claypool, Peoples, Hamler, Duvernay are all still on the board. Plenty of ILB's on the board, but can be addressed on day 3. IDL the best prospect still is not off the board, but ton of run stuffers will be there day 3. OL there are still prospects. TE not a must if you don't get Kmet early, but Kmet could fall as low as the 3rd meaning a few TE's will drop. They have a chance to build for the future and around Love while also building around Rodgers for the next few years. It is a move I think needed to be made not a lot of chances to get your future QB. Some teams will be reeling to find a guy, they have a plan.

Don't tell me he has a higher upside than those other guys that just isn't true. I don't see Mahomes in him and when he takes a bad Utah St. team to 5-9 record it doesn't say a lot. We were 1 win away from the Super Bowl and we give up 2 picks for a player who won't play. I had him as my 35 overall player so he isn't all bad, but come on now. We needed so much depth and this feels like giving up on this year before it starts. Jordan Love feels a lot like Deshone Kizer, if Kizer was given 2+ years to sit he may have had a chance.

Just not needed ... yeah he could be the best but we got the best right now for about 2-3 years. This was the draft to sell out to help win now.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    dont hate the qb but i hate the pick... why did we trade up? nobody left was in need of a QB.... did we forget the dolphins picked tua???????? i wanted a qb in the 4th round or top 2 rounds next year but we need weapons... rodgers has nothing to work with man
    It's not about who they traded in front of. Someone was going to trade into the first round to get the 5th year option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean Anthony Gordon could be the best qb in the draft but I doubt it. Love has a little bit of everything but I haven't seen any of the it factor. I watched a clip from yesterday and he was completely unprepared for the question "How would you describe last year" I'm sure he was asked that like 20 times in the past week or two and his agent prepped him and his response was basically I made to many mistakes with like 8 em's and the "I means". I will watch some more game tape maybe some more positives shine through.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Just not needed ... yeah he could be the best but we got the best right now for about 2-3 years. This was the draft to sell out to help win now.
    It's not going to be a popular move for some, but realistically they may have extended their contention window an addition 10-15 years. The did so without jeopardizing this year. Plenty of WR's and frankly this teams best fits at WR are all still on the board. IDL is still full. OL has names.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Don't tell me he has a higher upside than those other guys that just isn't true. I don't see Mahomes in him and when he takes a bad Utah St. team to 5-9 record it doesn't say a lot. We were 1 win away from the Super Bowl and we give up 2 picks for a player who won't play. I had him as my 35 overall player so he isn't all bad, but come on now. We needed so much depth and this feels like giving up on this year before it starts. Jordan Love feels a lot like Deshone Kizer, if Kizer was given 2+ years to sit he may have had a chance.
    That's 100% true. Who has a higher upside? Maybe he's tied with Tua. A number of teams didn't see Mahomes in Mahomes, plenty of teams didn't see Rodgers in Rodgers. A player's record isn't overly relevant. For example, Patrick Mahomes was 13-16 at Tech. We could have been sitting here looking like New England and have no answer, looking like San Diego and have to draft a guy and hope he pans out. New Orleans really doesn't have a contingency plan for Brees. I don't understand how one could argue after one pick they've given up on a year with all the talent left in need spots left on the board. This is not at all like Kizer. Kizer was never brought in to be the heir, Kizer was here to be the backup, never to be the heir. Kizer on his best day didn't have the skill Love has either.

A lot of people hated the Rodgers pick when we still had Favre under center and we saw how that turned out. Rodgers doesnít have ďITĒ anymore and Iím glad we are looking towards the future. Hopefully this dude pans out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast