Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 70
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,258
    My logic is as follows as I walk it through. 2018 Jordan love was on track to be a top 10-15 player. 2019 Jordan love wasn't a first rounder. So if you think 2018 love, who had more talent around him, is his actual talent level and 2019 love was a result of a good player trying to do too much on a bad team, then you got a discount on a top 15 talent.

    Then factor in we are still a good team. We are planning on remaining competitive for the next few years. So we aren't planning on having a top 15 pick any time soon.

    Finally factor in QBs almost always get over drafted. It's such a premium pick, guys don't usually fall. So in many drafts, you need a top 10 pick to get a top 15 talent at qb. And if you're taking a QB in the 20s, you're probably getting a 2nd round talent.

    So role that all together and we think we got a top 10 caliber talent at qb who fell due to a unique circumstance of playing at a small school who changed coaches and had really poor talent around him. If we think we are likely to pick in the 20s for the foreseeable future, we took a chance to grab the best talent we are likely to see on the board in any upcoming draft, almost regardless of draft depth at qb.

    And I get there are flaws in that logic. Some of loves issues are rough. If you watch the reel of all of his picks, some of those picks are just really, really bad. It's not like it's no seperation so he has to throw into coverage. A decent amount of them are stare down a side and never see underneath coverage like LBs or DBs peeling off. But again, it's possible a not so great situation led to some not so great decisions. If he cleans that up and gets back to where he was, he can be really good.

    I've come around on the pick some. I still struggle with the trade up, as I think it handicapped us the rest of the draft, but I also think it was the full combination of the draft that frustrated me. Had we filled major holes elsewhere or gotten really good value in the mid rounds, I would be much more on board with it.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    30,633
    I feel like some of Loveís mistakes are very coachable. I feel like he has the talent. He will benefit from sitting behind Rodgers for the next few years. I didnít hate the pick but grew more frustrated as the draft went on. Some of our biggest issues coming into the draft were not addressed. And yes trading up to get Love was stupid. Coulda used that fourth to trade up in the 2nd to get a wr they liked. But it is what it is at this point.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,258
    Coachable is a very difficult term for me. He missed guys. He missed defenders. Never saw them. It's not like he was squeezing a window and trusted his arm, my take on a decent amount of his picks was tunnel vision. That's hard to coach out. It's really easy to see that on film and in the film room, but you need to be on the field, in the midst of it all to really experience that.

    That's the peice I struggle with. I'm coming around on it, but that's the peice I still struggle with. Some of those specific mistakes he made I think might be hard to coach. Maybe with better eye work and less stare downs, he won't be punished as much for his mistakes, but some of those mistakes are tough to watch.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Coachable is a very difficult term for me. He missed guys. He missed defenders. Never saw them. It's not like he was squeezing a window and trusted his arm, my take on a decent amount of his picks was tunnel vision. That's hard to coach out. It's really easy to see that on film and in the film room, but you need to be on the field, in the midst of it all to really experience that.

    That's the peice I struggle with. I'm coming around on it, but that's the peice I still struggle with. Some of those specific mistakes he made I think might be hard to coach. Maybe with better eye work and less stare downs, he won't be punished as much for his mistakes, but some of those mistakes are tough to watch.
    I still see plenty of flaws in this draft. It's not not taking WRs, or even the Love pick, but is Love the guy? AR has said he wants to play into his 40s...He is still very good, not prime AR but still good. Is Love the fall in love can't miss guy that just fell? (Well they traded up so my first problem. Just stay at 30 and Love still likely there. Gute got duped and worried IMO).

    I actually think GB didn't need to give AR weapons early. Am I the only one who was stunned Funchess is only 25? Lazard, EQ I think can take a step. Not expecting much from MVS. Straight line speed all I see. Prove it year for him.

    My issue with the draft was being close to an SB berth they seemed to take future guys or offensive fits rather than the best players. Take an ILB, hybrid safety type and a run stuffing DL or OT....Just not impressed with the draft overall.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,162
    I like what they did on the OL honestly. They addressed an issue there.

    I think they helped the run game on short yardage.

    But they didnít nothing to help the WR core or the run defense. Our top 2 glaring issues

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,258
    Way, way, way too early, but early reports from camp haven't been super optimistic about love. Things could click in a hurry, but hes been pretty timid from what I've read. So confidence is going to be just as big of deal as learning the offense and all of that type of stuff.

    Was kind of hoping he would come out and maybe make some mistakes but at least look the part. Make some tough throws but have decision making be his biggest issue. Doesn't seem like that's been the case.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Posts
    6,871
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Way, way, way too early, but early reports from camp haven't been super optimistic about love. Things could click in a hurry, but hes been pretty timid from what I've read. So confidence is going to be just as big of deal as learning the offense and all of that type of stuff.

    Was kind of hoping he would come out and maybe make some mistakes but at least look the part. Make some tough throws but have decision making be his biggest issue. Doesn't seem like that's been the case.
    Luckily he has time on his side. He doesn't even need to be the backup this year if Rodgers gets hurt. The lack of preseason reps is probably a negative, but if he had performed poorly in preseason there would be a lot of outside noise from fans and media that he would have to deal with too.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,258
    For sure. I just don't love to hear the potential confidence issues. That's one thing that scares me. I saw alot of decision making issues with him in college, which are probably somewhat fixable. But he was a guy who wasn't scared to let it rip. So far, it seems like reports are saying he's timid and is afraid to let it rip in practice and that's a bit concerning. Hopefully once things become more comfortable he opens up and plays looser, but who knows.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    122,987
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Luckily he has time on his side. He doesn't even need to be the backup this year if Rodgers gets hurt. The lack of preseason reps is probably a negative, but if he had performed poorly in preseason there would be a lot of outside noise from fans and media that he would have to deal with too.
    And by all accounts, he will not be the backup. Sounds like Boyle is really sharp so far. Which IIRC is all we heard last year.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    8,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    And by all accounts, he will not be the backup. Sounds like Boyle is really sharp so far. Which IIRC is all we heard last year.
    from everything I have been seeing, Love is definitely not impressing anyone yet. he's had moments but, its underwhelming

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    30,633
    In fairness to Love Iím sure being in Rodgersí shadow and not to mention our lack of weapons doesnít help him any. Plus the lack of a normal offseason worth of meetings and practices wonít help. No one should have expected him to come in and tear it up.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,258
    I get all of that, but I guess reading demovsky's article on espn was a bit more disappointing. It was stuff like in the purely rookie, 1st year and 2nd year portion of camp he had sternberger wide open down the sidelines and just floated one out to him that allowed the safety to make a play on sternberger. If he rips it on a line, which he apparently could have, JS had a chance to make the safety miss.

    And it probably doesn't seem like a huge thing, but I worry it might be. I wasn't a huge fan of the pick because of the opportunity cost mainly, but I had worries about the player too. Mainly, when I watched him play, I saw a guy who had the confidence and ability to make every throw. That got him into trouble because he sometimes stared down wr's, he was overconfident in his arm and just made bad decisions. But ultimately he let it rip when he wanted to make a throw. So not showing the confidence to let it rips scares me because that was one of his main selling points.

    To an extent, he feels kind of like Kizer in that sense. I don't know that kizer was ever going to be a stud, but it seemed like he got neutered in the pros. Maybe starting those games in Cleveland is what did it, but he never seemed to let his mind go and just play. I hope that isn't the case with love. Obviously lots of time left and all of those qualifiers. But I'd be more comfortable if his issues were the same ones that plagued him in college instead of seemingly new ones.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    122,987
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    from everything I have been seeing, Love is definitely not impressing anyone yet. he's had moments but, its underwhelming
    Almost to be expected. We knew he wasn't close. You are old enough to remember what they said about Rodgers first couple years too.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Almost to be expected. We knew he wasn't close. You are old enough to remember what they said about Rodgers first couple years too.
    I'm not a demovsky fan but his article was interesting. Talked to a scout who recalled early rodgers looked out of place in preseason and things like that, but in all the throwing drills, Rodgers always looked good and oftentimes won the throwing competitions.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    122,987
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I'm not a demovsky fan but his article was interesting. Talked to a scout who recalled early rodgers looked out of place in preseason and things like that, but in all the throwing drills, Rodgers always looked good and oftentimes won the throwing competitions.
    Not Love specific, but I don't at all trust the slant of our beat guys tbh. They see what they want to see a **** ton more than we realize, IMO. It's like that ILB this year, every god damn year they swear GB has their guy, they get all focused in and now if he covers his mouth before he sneezes, it's an all pro caliber move. Then you get all the Kumerow ****, clearly they were doing that with him. But like with ILB it as Bolton, and who knows there I guess, but they tried. Josh Jones was the lord and savior after like 15 snaps of 11 v11 minicamp in shorts. Every 7th round rookie ever. IDK, i just think they start with opinions and their eyes/minds get deluded by what they're out their watching into justifying it.

    I know you aren't making a big deal, but I just flat out don't trust beat/twitter/clickbait*******s in 2020 anymore. They know what sells. It isn't going to be about really what's going on anymore.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •