Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I also see the reason why you avoid certain guys at #4 in an offseason where you are limited in ways to evaluate them. Look at the other OTs - only Thomas came without questions. Wills is great, but played RT because his QB was a lefty. There's no guarantee he flips over to LT seamlessly. Wirfs is great, but many analysts talked about maximizing his potential by sliding himself inside to G. Becton is great, but he's the rawest product that will require more development. If you consider all 4 OTs close, Thomas is the safest pick who has proven to play the position at a high level for multiple years in a huge conference filled with NFL talent. That's what you take at 4. Oh yeah, he was also the best of all of them when looking at actual performance and production.

I get the desire for Simmons as well. I wouldn't have been opposed to him at all if he was the pick at 4. But I also am buying the idea that teams don't know what position he actually can play in the NFL instead of being just a really good football player. Don't think the Giants are in a position to just take talent and slot them anywhere. The 49ers and Ravens can slot those kind of guys into a defense and let them grow because theres so much talent around them. The Giants cannot. They're in the process of totally undoing a half decade of incompetence. Can't afford to gamble at 4. We're not close to a contender. This is building for 2021 and beyond.
    Last edited by Yanks All Day; 04-24-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Yeah. I was being over dramatic putting him in the same sentence as Flowers, the pick just does not blow me away but it’s a solid pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks All Day View Post
    I also see the reason why you avoid certain guys at #4 in an offseason where you are limited in ways to evaluate them. Look at the other OTs - only Thomas came without questions. Wills is great, but played RT because his QB was a lefty. There's no guarantee he flips over to LT seamlessly. Wirfs is great, but many analysts talked about maximizing his potential by sliding himself inside to G. Becton is great, but he's the rawest product that will require more development. If you consider all 4 OTs close, Thomas is the safest pick who has proven to play the position at a high level for multiple years in a huge conference filled with NFL talent. That's what you take at 4. Oh yeah, he was also the best of all of them when looking at actual performance and production.

I get the desire for Simmons as well. I wouldn't have been opposed to him at all if he was the pick at 4. But I also am buying the idea that teams don't know what position he actually can play in the NFL instead of being just a really good football player. Don't think the Giants are in a position to just take talent and slot them anywhere. The 49ers and Ravens can slot those kind of guys into a defense and let them grow because theres so much talent around them. The Giants cannot. They're in the process of totally undoing a half decade of incompetence. Can't afford to gamble at 4. We're not close to a contender. This is building for 2021 and beyond.
    Even if you think Wills won't be able to make the switch right away due to the uncertain status of the offseason, you play him at RT for a year, it's simple. He's ready to play in the NFL, at RT if for whatever reason you don't trust he can switxh right away, and has the better upside between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I may be alone here but in this situation, why not pick up another asset? You didn't need to get a lot... Legit could've just taken like a 4th or 5th rounder from the Chargers and swapped picks with them. We have so many holes that it made no sense not to get any draft capital at all IMHO.

I mean ideally I would've loved two first rounders. Maybe we could've traded for the 12 and 19 from Oakland if they really wanted a QB. Just for me, it seems that Thomas would still have been there in the 12-16 slot so you can trade down and still get him, or just trade down a few slots (still top 10) and get a 4th rounder or something. I just felt any asset was better than no asset.

And if there was absolutely no way in hell you would get anyone to bite on the #4... I get the need for OT but I'd still go with Simmons. We are gonna give the QB 100 million years to throw the ball with absolutely zero pass rush out there. Makes no sense for me as we had so much money to spend this offseason and a high pick, and we still have no pass rush.

We actually got negative pass rush. We were bad last year and we lost our best pass rusher. So we will be even worst this year.
    1. I’m pretty sure we had no credible offer to trade back

2. Unless you had a peek in every draft room you have absolutely no idea where Thomas would’ve gone if we didn’t pick him. I always hate these ‘predictions’. Based on mock drafts from analysts that have to sell **** to earn money all of a sudden readers like you know where every prospect is supposed to go. Last year everyone was sure we could’ve had DJ at #12 and this year it’s this again. Just stop it, we all Know jack ****.

3. Simmons would’ve done next to nothing for our pass rush. I agree we worsened in that area, but Simmons wouldn’t have fixed that

But does he even play LT this year or will they have him learn RT and keep Solder in LT? Solder is getting paid so much I feel they probably still have him play LT

great pick. hopefully we get a stud center tonight and our line is in great shape.

But does he even play LT this year or will they have him learn RT and keep Solder in LT? Solder is getting paid so much I feel they probably still have him play LT
    I hope not. If he isn’t the best LT on the roster right now the pick is already questionable. I think solder would move over this year and get cut next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    I hope not. If he isn’t the best LT on the roster right now the pick is already questionable. I think solder would move over this year and get cut next.

Just let them battle it out in training camp, but yeah wouldn’t be surprised if solder had to move

I may be alone here but in this situation, why not pick up another asset? You didn't need to get a lot... Legit could've just taken like a 4th or 5th rounder from the Chargers and swapped picks with them. We have so many holes that it made no sense not to get any draft capital at all IMHO.

I mean ideally I would've loved two first rounders. Maybe we could've traded for the 12 and 19 from Oakland if they really wanted a QB. Just for me, it seems that Thomas would still have been there in the 12-16 slot so you can trade down and still get him, or just trade down a few slots (still top 10) and get a 4th rounder or something. I just felt any asset was better than no asset.

And if there was absolutely no way in hell you would get anyone to bite on the #4... I get the need for OT but I'd still go with Simmons. We are gonna give the QB 100 million years to throw the ball with absolutely zero pass rush out there. Makes no sense for me as we had so much money to spend this offseason and a high pick, and we still have no pass rush.

We actually got negative pass rush. We were bad last year and we lost our best pass rusher. So we will be even worst this year.
    It’s easy to say just swap picks but if a guy you like is there and the offers aren’t, you can’t trade. DG said he was open to trading back but there weren’t any good offers.

The Giants offensive line has allowed the 3rd most # of QB hits and 14th most sacks allowed. Danny Dimes ate A LOT of turf last season.

The Giants aren't much better rushing. They're 19th in rushing yards. A little better yards/carry. They're not really good running to the left but even worse running to the right side as well as the center.

Basically the Giants need a whole new offensive line.

Andrew Thomas is 6'5" and 320 lbs while Nate Solder is 6'8" but at age 32 I dunno if the Giants keep him despite Will Hernandez being only 6'2" at left guard.

The Giants' line isn't very good and aren't getting any younger. This pick was step one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yeah. I was being over dramatic putting him in the same sentence as Flowers, the pick just does not blow me away but it’s a solid pick.
    Because you obviously don’t watch college football

2020 NYG off-season checklist: AJ Bouye(if cut) [ x], Corey Littleton[ ], Breshad Perriman[ ], JaDaveon Clowney [ ], [ ], Kendall Fuller[ ], Matt Brieda [ ], Matt Skura [ ], Arik Armstead [ ], Austin Hooper[ ], Anthony Brown[ ]

Learn? He was a All American RT as a freshman

2020 NYG off-season checklist: AJ Bouye(if cut) [ x], Corey Littleton[ ], Breshad Perriman[ ], JaDaveon Clowney [ ], [ ], Kendall Fuller[ ], Matt Brieda [ ], Matt Skura [ ], Arik Armstead [ ], Austin Hooper[ ], Anthony Brown[ ]

Question, is Isiah Simmons gonna block Chase Young? Or Sweat? Kerrigan? Payne?Allen? Cox? Graham? Hargreaves? Lawrence? McCoy? Crawford? Ok now have you seen Andrew Thomas film vs so of the top defensive talent including Chase Young?
    Y’all gonna stop with Simmons love fest. Dude doesn’t even rush the passer yet you’re crying about pass rush

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Disagree. I think Willis had highest floor. His technique is incredible and his results in Alabama on the game tape show a day 1 starter who dominated.

Thomas is a very good tackle. I don’t think he’s Flowers. He’s a pretty safe bet to be a reliable tackle. I just think DG reached again. He really doesn’t value draft picks. He just says “I like this guy, I’m taking this guy.”

Wills has never played LT, he is going to play left tackle this year. When you get used to playing a certain side, your your footwork will become the opposite. It's like going to the Bahamas and driving, they drive on the opposite side of the road there. Can you do it, yeah eventually, but you won't be comfortable doing it, especially at 1st.

Thomas is an excellent Tackle. Had a bad games against Auburn - Davidson.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    The Giants offensive line has allowed the 3rd most # of QB hits and 14th most sacks allowed. Danny Dimes ate A LOT of turf last season.

The Giants aren't much better rushing. They're 19th in rushing yards. A little better yards/carry. They're not really good running to the left but even worse running to the right side as well as the center.

Basically the Giants need a whole new offensive line.

Andrew Thomas is 6'5" and 320 lbs while Nate Solder is 6'8" but at age 32 I dunno if the Giants keep him despite Will Hernandez being only 6'2" at left guard.

The Giants' line isn't very good and aren't getting any younger. This pick was step one.
    Hernandez is fantastic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast