Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I hope Stidham completely crushes it this year, I think I would rather have a title this year more than ever before.....Even more than the one I wanted after deflategate.

Iíve have seen the true colors of a lot of so called Pats fans and realized that most of them actually have no clue about football at all. I knew we had bandwagon fans, just didnít realize how many......Itís disgusting, we have some of the worst fans in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I like the results. I'm glad we didn't take a QB, that's a HUGE endorsement of Stidham. They must be very confident in him. That's the highlight for me, their non pick of a QB.

We 100% improved the defense. Replacing Collins and KVN with Uche and Jennings. Solid picks there.

We got out Kicker, hopefully for the next 10-15 years.

We added much needed OL depth to challenge our existing group. Onwenu is very interesting. Guys a beast but needs work technically. I find this interesting because BB usually drafts the opposite. If this guy can get more technically sound I think he can be a very good interior lineman.

I don't know anything about Dustin Woodward, but based on past history, he's probably our starting C in 2021.

Lastly on the TE's. Obviously a big need. I like Dalton the most. Very versatile, in the mold of a guy who we won't says name. Asiasi seems more like a project but his great size and seems like a solid prototypical TE so we'll see how he plays out.

Duggar, Jennings, Uche, Keene, Rohrwasser and possibly Onwenu and Woodward could be playing regularly/starting. Any draft that pulls out 6 contributing players is a success to me.
    Agreed. I'm actually pretty happy with the draft. There were some selections where we traded up and I thought it was unnecessary, but hey, I'm not BB haha. That being said, we got some great pieces that I think will be integral in the future. I was really happy with some of the UDFA we got too, Nick Coe and De'jon Harris in particular. Freaking loved those snags.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla.SticKy View Post
    I hope Stidham completely crushes it this year, I think I would rather have a title this year more than ever before.....Even more than the one I wanted after deflategate.

Iíve have seen the true colors of a lot of so called Pats fans and realized that most of them actually have no clue about football at all. I knew we had bandwagon fans, just didnít realize how many......Itís disgusting, we have some of the worst fans in football.
    Both of my sons have only known the Pats as winners. That makes one type of fan.

Then there were the days when I saw them play at BU, BC, Fenway, shoveled the stands at Schaefer, etc. I missed 8 games in 54 years (many on the radio since they were blacked out constantly in the old days).

My kids are both planning on watching TB and not the Pats. I plan on watching both.

Compared to most teams that Pats fan count was never that high - except until Bledsoe got drafted and for a minute with the Grogan/Morgan/Clayborn teams.

C'est la guerre!
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Clearly a BB draft.

I've made the point before. Eddie Munster has been "the draft guru" for what 38 years? He's says Seabass was a mistake in the 2nd, more of a 5th rounder - ha.

Bear this in mind - No pro football team has ever paid Eddie a buck for his opinion. Him and his pals infect people with "you should" expectations, and then BB gets savaged by the local press and fans. Why didn't he get a QB? Why did he draft so and so? Why are you listening to Eddie Munster (aka Kiper). He's an entertainment figure, not an actual expert.

I also liked the UDFA haul. I stand by what I said before, the final bloodletting is after this season. We could have the youngest team in the league in '22 or '23.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

I didnít follow pre-draft stuff very much this year but I have some thoughts. I know a bit about Asiasi because I follow Pac 12 football closely. Coming out of high school, Asiasi was seen as a future difference maker as either a TE or defensive lineman. Great athlete but a little bit raw at that time and evaluators were unsure of which position fit him best. Initially went to Michigan but then transferred to UCLA (I donít think he played a down at Michigan but could be wrong).

Anyways, Asiasi wasnít an immediate contributor at UCLA, but things came together this season. UCLA has been a mess in recent years and that didnít help Asiasi either. Their QB play has been inconsistent.

This year he showed strong hands and pretty good field vision in the open field. Asiasi isnít a burner at TE but he is also still improving his body. Asiasi used to be much heavier (he was probably around 270), and he has gotten leaner. Asiasi still has natural power and his body isnít a finished product.

In a weak TE draft class, I think Belichick and Caserio found a player that can provide a needed boost to the position group. It will take some time for him to make the NFL transition but he could be a good one. Belichick and Chip Kelly are decent friends and Iím sure Kelly told Bill what he needed to know. Iím guessing Asiasi wonít struggle with the Pats program.

I also want to add that Dalton Keene is very intriguing. I knew nothing about him before he was drafted, but he could be pretty good after some development.

We've had a lot of defections over the past few years and the talent going out outweighs the talent we've brought in. And the Antonio Brown gamble along with Brady's contract structure has led to a lot of dead money that isn't offset by cheap talent on rookie deals. Because of a combinations of missed evaluations, injuries and crowded depth charts we haven't gotten great returns on our last 3 draft classed. The last 3 classes make up the cheap core of your roster as those are the guys on rookie deals. Overall, we don't have enough to show for it.

In 2017, we came away with EDGE Derek Rivers, OT Antonio Garcia, EDGE Deatrich Wise and OT Conor McDermott. Both OTs are out of the league. Wise is a useful but limited player as a rotational DE - good pick in the 4th but not something that elevates your future. Rivers is on the verge of being gone for good barring a training camp surge (if there even is a training camp). In fairness, we didn't have a lot of draft capital to start having traded our 1st for Cooks. And injuries have played a part too... Garcia had blood clots in his lungs and lost a ton of weight to where he could never play again (although he latched on to a few practice squads which is to a certain degree a reflection that other teams liked his college talent too). Rivers missed his rookie and 3rd years with season ending injuries suffered in camp, although in year 2 he was healthy all year and wasn't able to beat out Adrian Claiborne, John Simon or Deatrich Wise which isn't what you'd hope for out of a 3rd rounder. McDermott was on active rosters for 3 years as a backup which for a 6th rounder is actually solid. But overall, this is an extremely underwhelming class.

In 2018 we had more draft capital but the draft has been only ok. We got OT Isaiah Wynn, RB Sony Michel, CB Duke Dawson, LB Ja'Whaun Bentley, LB Christian Sam, WR Braxton Berrios, QB Danny Etling, CB Keion Crossen and TE Ryan Izzo. Wynn and Michel are both starters which is good but neither of them have really been special so far. Michel put up some good stats down the stretch that obviously were crucial to our SB win but he wasn't exactly Adrian Peterson making exceptional plays. Wynn looked good last year but hasn't been able to stay healthy. Dawson never even made it into a game for us as a second round pick. In fairness to him, a big factor in that was the emergence of J.C. Jackson as a home run UDFA and Jonathan Jones taking a big leap as a player crowding the depth chart. Dawson actually was productive in Denver so circumstance played into it as much as missed evaluation. Bentley is a solid rotational LB that could maybe emerge as more. Sam, Berrios, Etling are all out of the league but that's not unexpected for late round picks. Crossen was actually a good late round pick but had to be traded because of a loaded depth chart. Izzo is a back of the roster player which is actually ok for a 7th rounder. As mentioned earlier, Jackson as an UDFA hugely elevates this class because it makes up for Dawson. Overall, this is a solid enough haul but it doesn't really move the needly in a major way so far. There's potential for that though. Wynn shows flashes of being a great LT. If Michel adjusts to the pro passing game concepts he can be much better. Jackson has excelled as a part time player so now he has to show he can be a full time starting outside CB across matchups. Bentley I really believe could be more than a good backup and elevate to a solid, dependable starter. If that happens, this class will look worlds better.

Last year's draft came with very little zero return so far. N'Keal Harry missed 10 games and then struggled to really emerge after coming back from injury - can he make a leap in year 2 with a new QB he hopefully meshes better with and hopefully better health? Joejuan Williams was buried on a loaded depth chart... Can he carve out a role in the short term as a matchup player at least? Is he someone who pays no return now but maybe in years 3 or 4 he proves valuable as some other guys are maybe gone? Does he go the way of Dawson as a high pick we give up on early in part because of performance and in part because of a loaded depth chart? In the 3rd round we got Chase Winovich, who proved a valuable rotation player but can he expand his role or is he just a Deatrich Wise type? Damien Harris red shirted but can he emerge as a rotation back? OT Yodney Cajuste and G/C Hjalte Froholdt both missed the year with injuries - can they provide crucial depth in the short term or even potentially grow into starters down the road (Cannon and Andrews are FAs after the year)? Stidham obviously will get his shot at QB this year. Cowart stuck on the roster as a gamely inactive but can he grow to actually contribute? Jake Bailey made it as our punter, which is at least something. CB Ken Webster didn't make the team as a 7th rounder. We also got Jacobi Meyers as an UDFA who seems capable of sticking as a long-term #3/4 WR depth options hopefully.

We've had a lot of defections over the past few years and the talent going out outweighs the talent we've brought in. And the Antonio Brown gamble along with Brady's contract structure has led to a lot of dead money that isn't offset by cheap talent on rookie deals. Because of a combinations of missed evaluations, injuries and crowded depth charts we haven't gotten great returns on our last 3 draft classed. The last 3 classes make up the cheap core of your roster as those are the guys on rookie deals.

We're in the midst of a crucial development period. The 2017 draft class seems like a mostly lost cause at this point. Wise has shown no signs of being more than he is and Rivers is hanging on by a thread. But in the 2018 and 2019 classes there is still great potential. Along with this year's class, we absolutely NEED that potential to translate into a strong core. Even it's not home run picks, we need roster depth at the very lease.

For example, we got nothing from Damien Harris. If he takes over Burkhead's role that's $2.9M of savings. If Froholdt takes over Jermaine Eluemunor's top interior backup roles that's $2.1M of savings. If Joejuan Williams takes over Jason McCourty's role that's $3.3M of savings. If Cajuste proves a capable starting caliber player and takes RT from Cannon that's $7.1M of savings. If both N'Keal Harry and Jacobi Meyers progress well then maybe we can move on from Sanu and save $6.5M.

Not saying that all of that will happen but a good portion of it needs to. And not necessarily this year. But all of those veteran players (except Cannon) are FAs after the year. We can't afford to go into next FA needing to replace them all. We need cheaper options to emerge. If they really seize the opportunity and take jobs now, even better. But next year we can't be as talent strapped AND salary cap strapped as we are now.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456