Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 827 of 1474 FirstFirst ... 3277277778178258268278288298378779271327 ... LastLast
Results 12,391 to 12,405 of 22109
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    But the parents are vaccinated right?
    Not always. Remember, vaccinated people can still catch and transmit the virus too. It may not be as often but its still there. All masks do is protect the vaccinated and unvaccinated. Surely that has to be enough reason to do it, right?

So the death rate among <18 year olds has skyrocketed?
    No but its not strictly a life or death issue. Stopping the spread is about slowing down the potential risk of future variants and how they can lower the efficacy of the vaccine. We've already seen that some with the Delta Variant and even more so with the Lambda variant. Worst case scenario is you find a variant that is vaccine resistant. Then you are back to the drawing board.

Here is some current information about the Delta Variant:
    https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/article...cines-faqs.php
    Key areas to address your concerns:
    What does the Delta variant mean for children who are too young to get vaccinated?
    Currently in the U.S., the Pfizer-BioNTech is available for anyone over age 12. For children who are not yet eligible to receive the vaccine, they can be protected by the adults around them getting the vaccine, wearing masks and using social distancing strategies. Clinical trials are currently underway to determine the dosing and efficacy of the vaccines in younger populations. National data shows a rise in pediatric cases during the first two weeks of July as cases increased nationally, pediatric cases represented 43,033 of new cases over the same time period.

Are children more at risk from the Delta variant than previous strains of COVID-19?
    Studies show that the Delta variant is far more contagious than the original virus strain. While there have been breakthrough cases among those who are fully vaccinated, the Delta variant disproportionately affects people who are not vaccinated. For children under 12 who are not yet eligible to receive the vaccine, as well as many tweens and teens who are eligible but not fully vaccinated to date, children now make up a larger proportion of new cases as more adults are vaccinated. Data on whether the Delta variant causes more serious illness in children will be monitored closely.

Should young adults be concerned about the Delta variant?
    Earlier during the pandemic, the majority of the younger population getting infected with COVID-19 experienced minor symptoms. In recent weeks, that trend is changing with the emergence of the more contagious Delta variant that disproportionately affects those who are unvaccinated. At the same time, the 18 through 29 age group has the lowest vaccination rate among adults, and also have the potential for exposure because of their activities. This has resulted in a spike in infections in this unvaccinated young adult population, which can be expected to increase as more cases occur, as well as more serious infections occurring among this age group. Young adults are encouraged to get fully vaccinated, and follow CDC recommended precautions for reducing their risk of infection.

How effective are the current vaccines against the Delta variant?
    Data show that while the authorized COVID-19 vaccines may be less protective against the Delta variant in preventing infection and minor illness compared with earlier versions of SARS-CoV-2, they still largely remain effective, and are very good at preventing serious disease and death. These are the most critical outcomes to prevent and show that there is significant benefit from receiving the vaccine. It can be expected that as vaccination rates increase, more and more of the people who get COVID-19 will have been immunized, even as fewer total people get the disease. Even with diminished effectiveness against the Delta variant, vaccines remain our most important tool to prevent serious illness and death, and to control the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Here is some current information about the Delta Variant:
    https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/article...cines-faqs.php
    Key areas to address your concerns:
    What does the Delta variant mean for children who are too young to get vaccinated?
    Currently in the U.S., the Pfizer-BioNTech is available for anyone over age 12. For children who are not yet eligible to receive the vaccine, they can be protected by the adults around them getting the vaccine, wearing masks and using social distancing strategies. Clinical trials are currently underway to determine the dosing and efficacy of the vaccines in younger populations. National data shows a rise in pediatric cases during the first two weeks of July as cases increased nationally, pediatric cases represented 43,033 of new cases over the same time period.

Are children more at risk from the Delta variant than previous strains of COVID-19?
    Studies show that the Delta variant is far more contagious than the original virus strain. While there have been breakthrough cases among those who are fully vaccinated, the Delta variant disproportionately affects people who are not vaccinated. For children under 12 who are not yet eligible to receive the vaccine, as well as many tweens and teens who are eligible but not fully vaccinated to date, children now make up a larger proportion of new cases as more adults are vaccinated. Data on whether the Delta variant causes more serious illness in children will be monitored closely.

Should young adults be concerned about the Delta variant?
    Earlier during the pandemic, the majority of the younger population getting infected with COVID-19 experienced minor symptoms. In recent weeks, that trend is changing with the emergence of the more contagious Delta variant that disproportionately affects those who are unvaccinated. At the same time, the 18 through 29 age group has the lowest vaccination rate among adults, and also have the potential for exposure because of their activities. This has resulted in a spike in infections in this unvaccinated young adult population, which can be expected to increase as more cases occur, as well as more serious infections occurring among this age group. Young adults are encouraged to get fully vaccinated, and follow CDC recommended precautions for reducing their risk of infection.

How effective are the current vaccines against the Delta variant?
    Data show that while the authorized COVID-19 vaccines may be less protective against the Delta variant in preventing infection and minor illness compared with earlier versions of SARS-CoV-2, they still largely remain effective, and are very good at preventing serious disease and death. These are the most critical outcomes to prevent and show that there is significant benefit from receiving the vaccine. It can be expected that as vaccination rates increase, more and more of the people who get COVID-19 will have been immunized, even as fewer total people get the disease. Even with diminished effectiveness against the Delta variant, vaccines remain our most important tool to prevent serious illness and death, and to control the pandemic.
    The highlighted portion is concerning especially when you are getting concurrent news that is telling you that pediatric ICU after pediatric ICU is at or beyond capacity. The simple answer to this, until kids 12 and under can get vaccinated, is mandating masks. Mandating masks for kids 13 to when they finish high school isn't a bad idea either.

I am far more concerned about the Lambda variant than the Delta variant. The Delta variant is here in my area and we are masking when we are in groups. We stay away from groups as much as possible, though.
    I have read that the Lambda variant may be resistant to the vaccines that are currently in use and other vaccines must be developed to handle it.
    This said, the best we can do is get vaccinated and practice safe living for ourselves.

I am far more concerned about the Lambda variant than the Delta variant. The Delta variant is here in my area and we are masking when we are in groups. We stay away from groups as much as possible, though.
    I have read that the Lambda variant may be resistant to the vaccines that are currently in use and other vaccines must be developed to handle it.
    This said, the best we can do is get vaccinated and practice safe living for ourselves.
    Even more reason to put mask mandates in schools, especially in areas where the virus has exploded.

I feel like we're all circling back to the same thing here. We're just not agreeing with a very basic concept of what's the safest way to protect everyone. If its not vaccinations, then its masks. Why all the resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The highlighted portion is concerning especially when you are getting concurrent news that is telling you that pediatric ICU after pediatric ICU is at or beyond capacity. The simple answer to this, until kids 12 and under can get vaccinated, is mandating masks. Mandating masks for kids 13 to when they finish high school isn't a bad idea either.
    I do not disagree, but all I can do is what I have recommended for others. Contact your legislators, schoolboards, city and county governments and voice your concerns to them.

I do not disagree, but all I can do is what I have recommended for others. Contact your legislators, schoolboards, city and county governments and voice your concerns to them.
    The problem is governments in certain states won't budge irrespective of the information they are getting. It should be fairly obvious to people like Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis what the next course of action is but they'd rather play politics than protect people.

The thinking isn't logical. You kept kids home last year and/or made them wear masks for a variant of the virus that wasn't as transmissible but you're in the midst of one that is significantly more transmissible and you do nothing? How does that make any sense?
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-10-2021 at 12:39 AM.

Have you looked at the case/fatality rates in Florida and Texas as opposed to California and New York?
    They are quite comparable with New York having the worst rate of the 4 states.
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboar...23467b48e9ecf6

Just for the record, I have similar concerns about public schools, but that is for a different thread.
    As I said, if you don'/t feel your kids are safe in public schools, you have a couple of options.
    1. Send them to a private school where people are all vaccinated and the ventilation is better.
    2. Have them wear masks at school. N95s are available at Home Depot or Lowes. They are as good as anything I wore when we had active infection at the facility I worked at.
    3. Home school the kids, or have them do school virtually. If your school doesn't offer such an option, find one that does.
    4. Move to an area where you feel safer.
    And this, everyone, is why you don't try to give "advice" for kids you don't know in situations you don't know. Because:

2. Obviously. But my concern is that, one, elementary school children don't exactly have the best awareness when it comes to their masks being on properly, and two, I guess I'm just one of those *******s that don't like to see children needlessly getting sick. I know, it's crazy.
    3. We did virtual for most of last year. It's not even an option this year, so far. It's weird that you don't know that, as informed as you otherwise are.
    4. I'm glad to hear you're so pro-immigration! It is, unfortunately, not an option for me right now, or else I would. Feels like I've said that you before. Weird.

More options for you -- go to your school board meetings and voice your concerns there. Go to your city council meeting and voice your concerns there. Go to your county board of supervisors' meeting and voice your concerns there. Address your concerns with your local state representatives and state senators. Write letters or emails to the governor.
    It's adorable that you think I've not been doing this. I was curious, so I looked it up just now. My first contact with the superintendent was March 14, 2020. You'll note that I said first. I've attended board meetings on Zoom (there's a virus going around, see, and you can't be too careful), I've even been in contact with my Rep, guy named Blaine Luetkemeyer who I've never voted for. His office is very nice when they get back to you a couple weeks later. I've lost count of the number of times I've been told the school district is "following the guidelines from the county Department of Health," a group that, apparently, knows more than the CDC. How they've accomplished this, they don't seem to want to say. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that it's mostly just a way for them to pass off any responsibility when pressed on the issue while still getting to keep the lunatic GQPers that populate this county happy.

I knew this would be tedious.

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse.”" - @SarahLongwell25

Yes, it is tedious. I'm glad you have been pro-active. You appear to be one that cares about this subject as much as I do.
    And, by the way, a condescending attitude will get you absolutely nowhere with me. You have no reason be be condescending with me. Save it.

So the death rate among <18 year olds has skyrocketed?
    So we're over a year and a half into this and still pretending death is the only negative outcome?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/08/h...ovid-kids.html

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse.”" - @SarahLongwell25

Yes, it is tedious. I'm glad you have been pro-active. You appear to be one that cares about this subject as much as I do.
    And, by the way, a condescending attitude will get you absolutely nowhere with me. You have no reason be be condescending with me. Save it.
    You can imagine how concerned I am with "getting anywhere" with you.

Last edited by metswon69; 08-10-2021 at 12:37 AM.

The NYTimes is hidden behind a paywall. If you wish for people to read the article, copy and paste it.