Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 810 of 942 FirstFirst ... 310710760800808809810811812820860910 ... LastLast
Results 12,136 to 12,150 of 14122
    Was the suit dropped? I've had this discussion with leftists in the past about plea bargains. They are, indeed, a guilty plea. I believe this is what happened in the cases of the NYT and WaPo.

So long as we’re discussing the bias and reputability of sources, this is an interesting article from conservative and former founder of a conservative news site about the problem with conservative media:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...231043680.html

Essentially the problem is their principles are to push a conservative viewpoint, and to report facts and the news second.

Some of his more poignant quotes:

“If you go to and look at the history of conservative media enterprises that are large scale and exist presently, every single one of them was created to propagate and propagandize for a particular political viewpoint, literally without exception, and that is not the case for just so many mainstream outlets.”

“US conservatives do not understand the purpose of journalism. I didn’t understand that journalism is supposed to portray reality”

“Truth for conservatives is anything that harms ‘the left’. It doesn’t even have to be a fact. I eventually realized that most people who run right-dominated media outlets see it as their DUTY to be unfair and to favor Republicans because doing so would somehow counteract perceived liberal bias”

“Most media figures have no journalism training or desire to fact-check their own side”

The article continues:

The Examiner was the first place where Sheffield says he saw the kind of standards that differentiate “actual media and reporting institutions” - which may have inherent or even conscious bias - from right wing websites for which partisan bias is the North Star, the guiding principle.

The problem, as he describes it, is that most conservatives think the purpose of journalism is to wage partisan political warfare, and that has created an eco-system on the right where facts and truth are increasingly irrelevant.

And again, this is coming from a conservative who started a news website.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-...120205354.html

Maybe this will motivate more men to get vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Was the suit dropped? I've had this discussion with leftists in the past about plea bargains. They are, indeed, a guilty plea. I believe this is what happened in the cases of the NYT and WaPo.
    You tell me not to discuss medical matters because I don’t know anything about it. I advise you to do the same with the law as it’s obvious you have no idea what you’re talking about. Settling a case is NOT a guilty plea, in fact it specifically states in a settlement that it is not an admission of guilt.

You said there’s no way to know if we would have handled Covid better if Trump weren’t President because we don’t know what would have happened but now you’re certain these outlets were guilty despite not knowing what would have happened.

More hypocrisy and contradictory logic from our resident expert. Perhaps you should ask your dog about the law, since at this point you know less than one about it.

I must admit you spouted so many legal inaccuracies I didn’t even catch you calling WaPo settling a plea bargain. No it wasn’t a plea bargain, they settled out of court (something completely different than a plea lol). Even funnier Sandman’s lawsuit was originally dismissed before being allowed to proceed in a limited scope:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cin...amp/5501639002

But here’s the kicker, Both the Washington Post AND NICK SANDMAN wanted to settle the case out of court. Apparently Sandman was as uninterested in a trial as WaPo.

Perhaps you should get your facts straight (as well as your legal terminology) before posting.

It didn't go to court, but the settlement was an indication that WaPo didn't expect to win the suit if it did go to court. I'm sure Mr. Sandman did not really hold any grudges against WaPo, he just wanted them to admit that they were wrong, which they did by signing a 7-figure check to him.
    I am not a lawyer, nor do I plan to become one. I do not besmirch lawyers. If I am incorrect in my assessment of this case, I apologize to the boards for my statements. Will you reciprocate by apologizing to the boards for besmirching the nursing profession by misrepresenting the Goldwater rule? It does not apply to nurses, only psychiatrists. It says that they must not diagnose a public figure without a personal examination. I have not done anything to violate it, nor do I plan to do so. I do not diagnose illnesses. I observe and report what I see, feel, smell, and hear with patients. Drs rely on nurses to do precisely this.

It didn't go to court, but the settlement was an indication that WaPo didn't expect to win the suit if it did go to court. I'm sure Mr. Sandman did not really hold any grudges against WaPo, he just wanted them to admit that they were wrong, which they did by signing a 7-figure check to him.
    I am not a lawyer, nor do I plan to become one. I do not besmirch lawyers. If I am incorrect in my assessment of this case, I apologize to the boards for my statements. Will you reciprocate by apologizing to the boards for besmirching the nursing profession by misrepresenting the Goldwater rule? It does not apply to nurses, only psychiatrists. It says that they must not diagnose a public figure without a personal examination. I have not done anything to violate it, nor do I plan to do so. I do not diagnose illnesses. I observe and report what I see, feel, smell, and hear with patients. Drs rely on nurses to do precisely this.
    You are incorrect in your assessment, a settlement is not an admission of guilt and WaPo did not admit wrongdoing in any way.

As for the Goldwater rule, you think the general principle doesn’t apply to nurses? That you’re free to go around stating public figures you’ve never met have dementing illness symptoms in your professional medical opinion?

Of course I’m not apologizing, you’re being unethical. The point of the Goldwater rule was because it’s medically irresponsible to state someone exhibits symptoms in your professional medical opinion if you’ve only ever seen them on TV. The reason it says psychiatrists is because they’re the ones who can actually state whether someone has symptoms in their professional medical opinion. You certainly shouldn’t be. But way to keep doubling down on your unethical behavior.

COVID is running wild all over Florida...so which of these two things is Ron DeSantis focused on:

A. getting more people vaccinated

or

B. trying to sue Ben & Jerry's for not selling their ice cream in areas that Israel illegally occupies

The answer should be obvious...but you would sadly be right...

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...les-in-israeli
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

The only thing I can find about Trump suing NYT is a libel suit that was thrown out of court.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...ew-york-times/

So I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    COVID is running wild all over Florida...so which of these two things is Ron DeSantis focused on:

A. getting more people vaccinated

or

B. trying to sue Ben & Jerry's for not selling their ice cream in areas that Israel illegally occupies

The answer should be obvious...but you would sadly be right...

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...les-in-israeli
    The Missouri AG sued China over COVID too.

We really are become Florida of the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    You are incorrect in your assessment, a settlement is not an admission of guilt and WaPo did not admit wrongdoing in any way.

As for the Goldwater rule, you think the general principle doesn’t apply to nurses? That you’re free to go around stating public figures you’ve never met have dementing illness symptoms in your professional medical opinion?

Of course I’m not apologizing, you’re being unethical. The point of the Goldwater rule was because it’s medically irresponsible to state someone exhibits symptoms in your professional medical opinion if you’ve only ever seen them on TV. The reason it says psychiatrists is because they’re the ones who can actually state whether someone has symptoms in their professional medical opinion. You certainly shouldn’t be. But way to keep doubling down on your unethical behavior.
    No, I do not. It specifically states "psychiatrists have a responsibility to participate in activities contributing to the improvement of the community and the betterment of public health, but they should not give a professional opinion about public figures whom they have not examined in person, and from whom they have not obtained consent to discuss their mental health in public statements". No mention of nurses here, nor should there be. Nurses do not diagnose illnesses. We get paid to observe and report. I am observing and reporting what I see. A physical exam is not required to see obvious outward signs that are consistent with those of people suffering from dementing illnesses.
    How am I being unethical? As I have said, a nurse's job is to observe and report. That is all I am doing here.
    You are not apologizing because it would destroy your image to have to apologize to a common nurse like me.
    Last edited by catman; 07-26-2021 at 11:41 PM.

I am observing and reporting what I see.
    Oh yeah? To which physician are you reporting?

"The thing we may have to accept is that red states really like this pandemic and want to keep it.”" - @LOLGOP

I am reporting what I see. I do not need to report to a physician. I was asked what I thought of Biden's cognitive state and gave a professional opinion. You have taken that and run with it, attempting to accuse me of a "Goldwater" violation, which has not occurred, as I am not a psychiatrist.

I am reporting what I see. I do not need to report to a physician. I was asked what I thought of Biden's cognitive state and gave a professional opinion. You have taken that and run with it, attempting to accuse me of a "Goldwater" violation, which has not occurred, as I am not a psychiatrist.
    Actually, what I did was say that you should learn about the Goldwater Rule, even though you literally don't rise to the level where it applies to you.

Most people would take that as a hint, but apparently you see it as a green light.

"The thing we may have to accept is that red states really like this pandemic and want to keep it.”" - @LOLGOP

Did anyone here actually ask for that initial thought on Biden's cognitive state? Because I don't know a soul here (at least on the left) that is interested in opinements on it.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085