Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 77 of 1050 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177577 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 15749
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The problem I have with this one is that it creates more issues than it solves. Newsom said a few weeks ago that CA was going to start opening in "days not weeks", I assume because he was trying to calm people down. Now this is the opposite.
    We've talked about this already. You are misinterpreting or misrepresenting what Newsom said. Some of California has started reopening. It's a slow process that could need to be rolled back if the experts come to realize they jumped the gun. This isn't a snap your fingers and everything instantly goes back to normal type of situation. Furthermore, it's not Newsom who made the decision or announcement about Los Angeles.

IIRC The number I saw was 240k about a month ago. I don't think he expected the lock down to last forever, but I don't really know.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/5088976002

I figured that was the estimate he was referencing.

That number was actually between 100,000 and 240,000 for the entire year, not by May.

Given that, Iíd say the projection is looking pretty darn accurate considering we are already at 80,000.

As far as I know social distancing is still the protocol everywhere in the US.

As far as I can tell CA ordered the shelter in place on 3/19 ... the same day as Texas, and CA absolutely didn't start it considering it had already happened in several countries by that point. In Texas the government is limited to a lock down for 30 days. The governor said the two weeks before that that they were suggesting people shelter in place and maintain distance but they didn't want to issue the order early and start the clock to when they had to end it.

The problem I have with this one is that it creates more issues than it solves. Newsom said a few weeks ago that CA was going to start opening in "days not weeks", I assume because he was trying to calm people down. Now this is the opposite.

Can you show where "California politicians made a decisions that saved at least tens of thousands of lives" is proven?

FWIW, my family and I are still staying home and minimizing exposure despite not being required to do so.
    I seen videos of bars in georgia reopening, there is absolutely zero distancing in some of those places.

Yes, in the bay area 6 counties got together and jointly created a stay at home directive around early to mid March. Roughly a week later this turned into california going lockdown on the 17th I believe. Those 6 counties in the bay area were the initial move that started the domino effect of America closing down.

Its weird because instead of taking place from the top down, it was from the bottom up. The federal govt was and continues to be an absolute and complete failure at dealing with this epidemic. Those 6 counties in the bay area made decisions based off of science, that science limited America to just one out real outbreak. If that move wasn't made and the domino effect wasn't put in place, there would be honestly I dont think tens thousands more dead, I think hundreds of thousand more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post

That number was actually between 100,000 and 240,000 for the entire year, not by May.

Given that, Iíd say the projection is looking pretty darn accurate considering we are already at 80,000.
    lol, omg, if that projection is for a year then we got a crazy undercount.

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

One MAJOR thing that has happened is that a lot of people are out of money and are losing their minds. Also the news has been full of the fact that this isn't going away this month or this year and they are thinking that there is no way they will survive regardless of the shelter.

I think the way a lot of people are looking at it is ... we're all going to be exposed to it, a quarter of a million of us are going to die, nothing we do is going to make that better. Let's get on with it, even if it means more stress on the health care system and even if it means more people will die because of it.
    I donít necessarily disagree with anything youíre saying, my point was why are people acting like flattening the curve was the end all be all? Why arenít the people that are demanding the country reopen more mad at the federal governmentís inability to use time created by the countryís sacrifice to develop and implement a plan to improve the one thing that was going to be obviously necessary when the time came to open? We need millions of tests a day and we knew this in March. I know Trump gets this because he gets a test every day along with anyone who he might come in contact with. Why arenít we worthy of a test a week before we go back to business as usual?

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    We've talked about this already. You are misinterpreting or misrepresenting what Newsom said. Some of California has started reopening. It's a slow process that could need to be rolled back if the experts come to realize they jumped the gun. This isn't a snap your fingers and everything instantly goes back to normal type of situation. Furthermore, it's not Newsom who made the decision or announcement about Los Angeles.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/01/coro...trictions.html

It seems pretty clear that he said that by monday of this week or earlier CA would start opening up. The 3 counties that abandoned Newsom can't be counted as part of CA opening up either.

I didn't say it was Newsom talking for LA, but you better believe Newsom pays a lot of attention, and is very involved in, what LA is doing/saying.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post

Yeah, it was for the year. My guess was It was an optimistic estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I donít necessarily disagree with anything youíre saying, my point was why are people acting like flattening the curve was the end all be all? Why arenít the people that are demanding the country reopen more mad at the federal governmentís inability to use time created by the countryís sacrifice to develop and implement a plan to improve the one thing that was going to be obviously necessary when the time came to open? We need millions of tests a day and we knew this in March. I know Trump gets this because he gets a test every day along with anyone who he might come in contact with. Why arenít we worthy of a test a week before we go back to business as usual?
    Damn, Gasman just served em!

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I seen videos of bars in georgia reopening, there is absolutely zero distancing in some of those places.

Yes, in the bay area 6 counties got together and jointly created a stay at home directive around early to mid March. Roughly a week later this turned into california going lockdown on the 17th I believe. Those 6 counties in the bay area were the initial move that started the domino effect of America closing down.

Its weird because instead of taking place from the top down, it was from the bottom up. The federal govt was and continues to be an absolute and complete failure at dealing with this epidemic. Those 6 counties in the bay area made decisions based off of science, that science limited America to just one out real outbreak. If that move wasn't made and the domino effect wasn't put in place, there would be honestly I dont think tens thousands more dead, I think hundreds of thousand more.

You said "protocol", not that everybody was going to follow it. There is still the protocol.

I didn't say "counties" I said "countries".

This should be bottom up, not top down. The fact Newsom accepted 3 counties ignoring his orders shows that he accepts that to some extent.

So, you have no actual proof of CA government saving lives, it's just a guess. I'm not saying that they did or didn't I just think it's WAY too early to KNOW yet, particularly since those deaths may still be coming.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    It's not a guarantee yet but county officials are pushing for it. Obviously just political at this point. They completely moved the goalposts. Anyone that thinks they won't want to extend it beyond that in August is chewing paint.

I'm sure the same thing will happen here in NY.
    Whatís the rationale? Thatís excessive.

Iím in WA, the first hit, and we started (what I think) is a reasonable phasing process. Slowly open up necessary work and businesses and see what the impact is on the emergency and healthcare resources. Slowly open more and try to keep the number of sick people within a manageable threshold.

Itís sad that weíre just stuck in two extremes. Close it all down until thereís a vaccine vs. open EVERYTHING up now. Both are clearly wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/01/coro...trictions.html

It seems pretty clear that he said that by monday of this week or earlier CA would start opening up. The 3 counties that abandoned Newsom can't be counted as part of CA opening up either.

I didn't say it was Newsom talking for LA, but you better believe Newsom pays a lot of attention, and is very involved in, what LA is doing/saying.
    Parts of CA already have started opening up (as I've already said). Car washes, nurseries, and other outdoor based businesses have been newly re-opened for a week now.

....and yeah, of course Newsom pays attention to the most populated county in the state he governs.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Quit believing the media. They want you scared and you are scared. They need you scared for the election. That's all they want.

I've been at work every day since this started. I've been on a few planes over the last several weeks. I've stayed in hotels. I've consumed many meals from restaurants. I pump gas. I buy beer. I buy chew. I play golf 3 times a week with 30 other people and have beers afterwards. I was tested negative three nights ago after being 100% certain I was asymptomatic.

Get the **** out there and live your life. I know you want to.

Stop being scared.
    South Korea reopened and cases spiked up. One infected kid spread it to 50 others in a bar.

I donít think we need 100% lockdown indefinitely, but your anecdote is dangerous thinking when applied to the masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I think it's mostly because they don't care about it. The vast majority of people just want to get back to work and their lives.

I think Trump's attacks on the unreliability of the media was a great opportunity for the media to clean it up and win in the end, instead the media got worse and people have lost what little faith they had in the media. Add to that that a huge number of people don't consume mainstream media anymore but get their "news" in snippets on social media which is unfortunately filled with BS.

I also think this should be handled by local government as far as the direct handling of responses. But I also agree the information coming from the federal government should be much more ... well, reasonable, and it absolutely should not be coming from Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Damn, Gasman just served em!
    Who?

Because it takes forever for things to sink in, once again, the projection was NOT 240K. It was estimated to be between 100K to 240K. Yes, thatís a broad range, but that what happens when you try to predict the future.