Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 569 of 1151 FirstFirst ... 694695195595675685695705715796196691069 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,535 of 17262
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Getting a dose yet at all is infuriating having family that are extremely high risk yet you’re frolicking about with a vaccination for something you trivialized).

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    That is, unfortunately, a fact. Chinese manufacturers can produce and ship them here for a lower cost than we can produce them. What to do about that? An important question that our leaders need to answer.
    I dont think.we need to try and cut our labor prices, I think we need to just operate in a manner which doesnt allow china to corner the global market. We can easily build relations with other nations with cheap labor too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    You’re claiming 8 months as a minimum when that’s not what prevailing studies state, but ok. There’s emerging evidence to point toward long antibody life, yes. And antibody tests are fickle, yes. That doesn’t change the view that it’s naive to think you do not need to wear a mask after infection.

As for the vaccine, I am not able to get it in my area yet. You probably shouldn’t have been able to get it, either...unless you’re way older than I think or work in healthcare. Getting a dose yet at all is infuriating having family that are extremely high risk yet you’re frolicking about with a vaccination for something you trivialized).

I’ll wait in line while those that need it first get it.
    I’m actually interested in this Debo. Everything I’ve seen and heard from Fauci himself even as of recently actually indicated that even if the antibodies aren’t present (usually around three months), your body still has the mechanism to fight it from sixth months to longer. It does seem like an area they haven’t done a great job in putting a ton of clear information out there about it though.

And with the variants it will still be good to get the vaccine, especially if you’re vulnerable because ones like the South African variant you will likely be better protected against the vaccine immune response than just immunities alone from a prior infection (even though the vaccine will only be about 50/50 right now in preventing infection to the SA variant).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

I went through a luxury-hotel quarantine in Singapore to beat the coronavirus — and it works. But Americans just wouldn't find it acceptable.

'Americans have been actively discouraged by their leaders from making sacrifices'

Donald Trump is the apotheosis of this mentality, leading by the example of hosting myriad White House celebrations while not enforcing masking — even after contracting the virus himself.

"Americans have been actively discouraged by their leaders from making sacrifices in support of larger efforts — including wars, fossil-fuel consumption, global warming, the Great Recession, and the current pandemic," Brandon Jett and Christopher McKnight Nichols wrote in a December op-ed article for The Washington Post. "Confronting the looming public health, economic and climate challenges today requires a wholesale change in how citizens and the state conceive and construct a rhetoric as well as a practice of collective sacrifice."

This inability for some Americans to curb their individual freedoms in the face of this virus, and against basic common sense, seems to belie a lack of faith in the concept of personal liberty. If it's such a foundational American value, then why are we so afraid that it will disappear if we temporarily put the greater good over the rights of the individual?

The concept of liberty has become a type of currency — a way for the government to pretend it's giving you more when it's actually giving you less.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sing...-the-us-2021-1

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    I’m actually interested in this Debo. Everything I’ve seen and heard from Fauci himself even as of recently actually indicated that even if the antibodies aren’t present (usually around three months), your body still has the mechanism to fight it from sixth months to longer. It does seem like an area they haven’t done a great job in putting a ton of clear information out there about it though.

And with the variants it will still be good to get the vaccine, especially if you’re vulnerable because ones like the South African variant you will likely be better protected against the vaccine immune response than just immunities alone from a prior infection (even though the vaccine will only be about 50/50 right now in preventing infection to the SA variant).

I’m interested as well. It has big implications for returning to a mask-less society.

We don’t have definitive data, though, so I can only go off of what my two antibody tests yielded. I’d rather play this safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I went through a luxury-hotel quarantine in Singapore to beat the coronavirus — and it works. But Americans just wouldn't find it acceptable.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sing...-the-us-2021-1
    Sounds like this hit the nail on the head. We will hoot and holler about our damn freedoms even as a slight restriction would help society. Just look at how we let people get exemptions from all sorts of rules because it might upset their sensibilities. Don't want to get a vaccination for your child that will prevent them from getting easily preventable diseases? Sure why not! Don't like paying taxes and think you should get a special exemption? Yea sure why the **** not!
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

I just read an informative piece in the NYTimes about the meaning of “effectiveness” in vaccines terms:

In the official language of research science, a vaccine is typically considered effective only if it prevents people from coming down with any degree of illness. But it’s not the most meaningful definition for most coronavirus infections. We don’t need to eliminate it for life to return to normal. We instead need to downgrade it from a deadly pandemic to a normal virus. Once that happens, adults can go back to work, and children back to school. Grandparents can nuzzle their grandchildren, and you can meet your friends at a restaurant.

As Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, told me this weekend: “I don’t actually care about infections. I care about hospitalizations and deaths and long-term complications.”

By those measures, all five of the vaccines — from Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson — look extremely good. Of the roughly 75,000 people who have received one of the five in a research trial, not a single person has died from Covid, and only a few people appear to have been hospitalized. None have remained hospitalized 28 days after receiving a shot.

To put that in perspective, it helps to think about what Covid has done so far to a representative group of 75,000 American adults: It has killed roughly 150 of them and sent several hundred more to the hospital. The vaccines reduce those numbers to zero and nearly zero, based on the research trials.

Zero isn’t even the most relevant benchmark. A typical U.S. flu season kills between five and 15 out of every 75,000 adults and hospitalizes more than 100 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I just read an informative piece in the NYTimes about the meaning of “effectiveness” in vaccines terms:

In the official language of research science, a vaccine is typically considered effective only if it prevents people from coming down with any degree of illness. But it’s not the most meaningful definition for most coronavirus infections. We don’t need to eliminate it for life to return to normal. We instead need to downgrade it from a deadly pandemic to a normal virus. Once that happens, adults can go back to work, and children back to school. Grandparents can nuzzle their grandchildren, and you can meet your friends at a restaurant.

As Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, told me this weekend: “I don’t actually care about infections. I care about hospitalizations and deaths and long-term complications.”

By those measures, all five of the vaccines — from Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson — look extremely good. Of the roughly 75,000 people who have received one of the five in a research trial, not a single person has died from Covid, and only a few people appear to have been hospitalized. None have remained hospitalized 28 days after receiving a shot.

To put that in perspective, it helps to think about what Covid has done so far to a representative group of 75,000 American adults: It has killed roughly 150 of them and sent several hundred more to the hospital. The vaccines reduce those numbers to zero and nearly zero, based on the research trials.

Zero isn’t even the most relevant benchmark. A typical U.S. flu season kills between five and 15 out of every 75,000 adults and hospitalizes more than 100 of them
    So when both virus' have vaccines the flu is worse. hmmm.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Who would've thunk?!
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Who would've thunk?!

I did not post the entire article, and I should have therefore emphasized the experts’ stated qualification that all this is very tentative — it is based on limited research, zero independent peer reviews, small sample size, and the assumption that this virus will act like most previous coronaviruses.

But, yes, the initial information is encouraging.

EDIT: All that said, the unknowns relating to potential long-term complications and the question of whether these preliminary results will hold true with the varients that are emerging are both big wild cards.
    Last edited by Crovash; 02-01-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Who would've thunk?!
    Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Who would've thunk?!
    Information that was pretty irrelevant for the past year when there was no vaccine for Covid.

And you guys were both downplaying it’s severity. Nice try...

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Who cares
    DBroncismo has turned to outright lying in an attempt to make us believe he was saying “it’s the flu without a vaccine” when for the first 8 months he was saying “it’s the flu” without the vaccine part.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    DBroncismo has turned to outright lying in an attempt to make us believe he was saying “it’s the flu without a vaccine” when for the first 8 months he was saying “it’s the flu” without the vaccine part.
    I'm pretty sure he actually made that argument.

An equally interesting report: The Hartford Courant reported that here in Connecticut by mid-January we have had 36 confirmed cases of the “flu”, with only 12 hospitalizations, and one death. The “flu” season goes to April 1, so we are not out of the woods by any stretch, but for comparison, in the 2019 “flu” season, Connecticut had over 13,000 confirmed cases, 3,000 hospitalizations, and 79 deaths attributed to the “flu.”

One local group, the Hartford Health Care system reported one case this year as compared with over 2,150 at the same time last season. Yale New Haven Hospital reports zero cases (compared with over 500 last year), and the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center is also zero (over 200 by this time last year).

And it is not for lack of testing, as patients with any poor respiratory signs are tested for both.

Masks up!

16. 02-01-2021, 02:26 PM
    Reason
    Unnecessary