Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 517 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 174174675075155165175185195275676171017 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 17065
  1. #7741
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,016
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    They don't play rural farmers and there is a lot of hard blue collar work done in those areas. That's how many of those people survive because there are few populated cities. Clearly, you've never been the Northeast United States. It's not that it matters. You don't get it. The reason why the numbers are much lower in those states is because they respect the virus and how it spreads. That's not the case in Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota. There is no reason why those states should have a COVID problem. Their populations are sparse and Wyoming for example is 98,000 square miles in total area. You have to be intentionally not taking the proper precautions to have that type of spread.
    I don't know what all the differences are...or how much an effect some changes mean. For example, tourism is much bigger in the Dakotas and Wyoming than Vermont...or at least there are more people from other states not just passing through, but potentially spreading it thru the state as they do. I also don't know what to think when I hear people tell me husband tested positive, so the whole household was tagged positive....meaning one test sometimes yielding 4-5 positives on the daily tally. How often, I don't know...heard it twice in one night a couple weeks ago.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  2. #7742
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,947
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I don't know what all the differences are...or how much an effect some changes mean. For example, tourism is much bigger in the Dakotas and Wyoming than Vermont...or at least there are more people from other states not just passing through, but potentially spreading it thru the state as they do. I also don't know what to think when I hear people tell me husband tested positive, so the whole household was tagged positive....meaning one test sometimes yielding 4-5 positives on the daily tally. How often, I don't know...heard it twice in one night a couple weeks ago.
    Even if you chalked it up to tourism or people coming through a state, Wyoming is 98,000 square miles in area and New Hampshire in 9,000. Wouldn't you say its a little easier to socially distance in a state that size? Not that I buy that to be the major contribution to the COVID problem in those states because at the end of the day, there are two different philosophies on what the virus is and if its even worth protecting yourself from it. I mean its easy to see that if a large group of people in certain states treated this virus as not severe or that the precautions taken are infringement on rights that they are much more likely to get it, right?
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-11-2020 at 03:56 PM.

  3. #7743
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,016
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Even if you chalked it up to tourism or people coming through a state, Wyoming is 98,000 square miles in area and New Hampshire in 9,000. Wouldn't you say its a little easier to socially distance in a state that size? Not that I buy that to be the major contribution to the COVID problem in those states because at the end of the day, there are two different philosophies on what the virus is and if its even worth protecting yourself from it. I mean its easy to see that if a large group of people in certain states treated this virus as not severe or an infringement on rights that they are much more likely to get it, right?
    oh it's most definitely more about the philosophy, but with more people coming into a state there's always a fresh supply of potential 'donors'. I mean look at Hawaii....their WORST day through all this is like 300 new positives...but they had two things going for them, one nobody else really could...they're an island state. But they also shut things down hard and stuck with it fairly well

    what's happening here isn't that nobody is taking things seriously, it's that just enough aren't that the spread continues....that and a number of nursing homes where it's somehow become rampant before they realize it's even there

    Part of this is also just math, too- smaller populations require fewer positives to create larger percentages.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  4. #7744
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    102,721
    Apparently Devin Nunes tested positive for COVID. Who would have thought that acting like we arenít in a pandemic could be dangerous?

  5. #7745
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,947
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    oh it's most definitely more about the philosophy, but with more people coming into a state there's always a fresh supply of potential 'donors'. I mean look at Hawaii....their WORST day through all this is like 300 new positives...but they had two things going for them, one nobody else really could...they're an island state. But they also shut things down hard and stuck with it fairly well

    what's happening here isn't that nobody is taking things seriously, it's that just enough aren't that the spread continues....that and a number of nursing homes where it's somehow become rampant before they realize it's even there

    Part of this is also just math, too- smaller populations require fewer positives to create larger percentages.
    But that's my point. There are states, countries, continents that are doing a better job handling this. Sure geography, what season you are in, population density (or lack thereof), restriction on travel, political affiliation, etc are all obvious variables here. That said, the biggest variable seems to be the actions of humans. Yes, the virus is extremely contagious and yes you cant stop its spread entirely but there are certainly ways to mitigate it. Quoting that tweet was about giving a similar baseline of population and how different approaches have vastly different results.

  6. #7746
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    They don't play rural farmers and there is a lot of hard blue collar work done in those areas. That's how many of those people survive because there are few populated cities. Clearly, you've never been the Northeast United States. It's not that it matters. The reason why the numbers are much lower in those states is because they respect the virus and how it spreads. That's not the case in Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota. There is no reason why those states should have a COVID problem. Their populations are sparse and Wyoming for example is 98,000 square miles in total area. You have to be intentionally not taking the proper precautions to have that type of spread.
    Those six or so hard working blue collar people in Vermont really hump don't they? Funny stuff. Those apples really are hard to pick and put in a barrel, huh? Maybe, just maybe the reason why they haven't contracted as much of the virus is that they don't have to work in jobs that are harsh and require people to work in physical type jobs and in close proximity to each other? I think that they do.

    Its really crap that all of the people that are so happy to shut the country down are people in government jobs who actually work less during said shutdowns and rich and retired folks who never have to mingle with the dirty folks who actually have to work with their hands and sweat for a living. The elites have no standing to be able to criticize the working folks who have to brave getting sick in order to survive in their country and feed their families.

  7. #7747
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Even if you chalked it up to tourism or people coming through a state, Wyoming is 98,000 square miles in area and New Hampshire in 9,000. Wouldn't you say its a little easier to socially distance in a state that size? Not that I buy that to be the major contribution to the COVID problem in those states because at the end of the day, there are two different philosophies on what the virus is and if its even worth protecting yourself from it. I mean its easy to see that if a large group of people in certain states treated this virus as not severe or that the precautions taken are infringement on rights that they are much more likely to get it, right?
    How do you know what the people in Wyoming or South Dakota are doing or how they think compared to a state like Vermont and whether what Vermont does in dealing with the virus is somehow better than the other states? What proof do you have? Thats the problem with all of the generalization crap.

    For example, I remember when the asshat libs criticized Trump for holding his campaign rallies and called them "super-spreader" events, basically accusing him of spreading the plague. However these same libs and their asshat media cheerleaders encouraged the "demonstrations" rioting, and burning and looting going on in the streets with the BLM, Antifa, and other fascist mutts, nothing was mentioned about this really SUPERSPREADER STUFF, huh? Why is that?

  8. #7748
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    Those six or so hard working blue collar people in Vermont really hump don't they? Funny stuff. Those apples really are hard to pick and put in a barrel, huh? Maybe, just maybe the reason why they haven't contracted as much of the virus is that they don't have to work in jobs that are harsh and require people to work in physical type jobs and in close proximity to each other? I think that they do.

    Its really crap that all of the people that are so happy to shut the country down are people in government jobs who actually work less during said shutdowns and rich and retired folks who never have to mingle with the dirty folks who actually have to work with their hands and sweat for a living. The elites have no standing to be able to criticize the working folks who have to brave getting sick in order to survive in their country and feed their families.
    It has nothing to do with the physicality of certain jobs. You're making things up as you go along. Do you not think people work in the Northeast United States or what?

    No one feels good about shutting down jobs. Its an unfortunate part of reality because hospitals are overwhelmed with COVID patients and the more restaurants, bars, places of indoor leisure exist the more people frequent them while spreading the virus. A virus that is killing 2500 a people a day on average the last week or so and taken close to 300,000 lives just in the US and almost 1.6 million people worldwide.

  9. #7749
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Apparently Devin Nunes tested positive for COVID. Who would have thought that acting like we arenít in a pandemic could be dangerous?
    Gee. My best friend and his wife and youngest son got covid last week and are still suffering with it. All three were hospitalized. They all did the precautions, my friend most of all because he had heart issues and high blood sugar to worry about also. THEY DID EVERYTHING they told them to do and they ALL GOT SICK. Guess what? Rachel and their son had to WORK in real jobs. They couldn't just STAY AT HOME and HIDE UNDER A respirator hoping that the boogeyman didn't get them!!

  10. #7750
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    But that's my point. There are states, countries, continents that are doing a better job handling this. Sure geography, what season you are in, population density (or lack thereof), restriction on travel, political affiliation, etc are all obvious variables here. That said, the biggest variable seems to be the actions of humans. Yes, the virus is extremely contagious and yes you cant stop its spread entirely but there are certainly ways to mitigate it. Quoting that tweet was about giving a similar baseline of population and how different approaches have vastly different results.
    What are these certain ways to "mitigate the spread"? Come on. What ways have one city or state done that is clearly different than others cities and states have done that has been PROVEN to have worked better. And don't trot out some ten cent city in the middle of nowhere or a state like Vermont which has about 6 blue collar workers in it

  11. #7751
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    What are these certain ways to "mitigate the spread"? Come on. What ways have one city or state done that is clearly different than others cities and states have done that has been PROVEN to have worked better. And don't trot out some ten cent city in the middle of nowhere or a state like Vermont which has about 6 blue collar workers in it
    Wearing masks, getting tested, contact tracing, not going to restaurants, bars, practicing social distancing, 4 or 5 million people not traveling on Thanksgiving, etc. The way this virus was spreading and people thought it was a good idea to travel interstate and hold big gatherings just because of COVID fatigue. Stuff that's repeated over and over.

    That last sentence shows your complete ignorance.

  12. #7752
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It has nothing to do with the physicality of certain jobs. You're making things up as you go along. Do you not think people work in the Northeast United States or what?


    No one feels good about shutting down jobs. Its an unfortunate part of reality because hospitals are overwhelmed with COVID patients and the more restaurants, bars, places of indoor leisure exist the more people frequent them while spreading the virus. A virus that is killing 2500 a people a day on average the last week or so and taken close to 300,000 lives just in the US and almost 1.6 million people worldwide.
    Bunk, It absolutely has to to with the physicality of jobs. How do you think pipe gets connected? How many people does it take to set up an oil rig. How about the people who are required to butcher cows and hogs? How about the processing of meat and the packaging of it. Then you have the transportation involved, the unloading, etc. It wasn't me who brought up Vermont and Wyoming. You did and you told us how this state did wrong in how they treated Covid. I merely pointed out that the nature of their businesses in those states is completely different than in a state like Vermont.

    As for the shutting down of business just being "unfortunate" but it is "required"...I say NO it is not. It is wrong to do and how they are doing it is stupid and unfair. And what is happening to the restaurant businesses in this country is criminal. The fact that you can shut a restaurant and health spas down while allowing box stores and other huge retailers to remain open is ludicrous. The government decided to pick winners and losers out of this and I believe some money changed hands in those decisions also.

  13. #7753
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    43,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    Bunk, It absolutely has to to with the physicality of jobs. How do you think pipe gets connected? How many people does it take to set up an oil rig. How about the people who are required to butcher cows and hogs? How about the processing of meat and the packaging of it. Then you have the transportation involved, the unloading, etc. It wasn't me who brought up Vermont and Wyoming. You did and you told us how this state did wrong in how they treated Covid. I merely pointed out that the nature of their businesses in those states is completely different than in a state like Vermont.

    As for the shutting down of business just being "unfortunate" but it is "required"...I say NO it is not. It is wrong to do and how they are doing it is stupid and unfair. And what is happening to the restaurant businesses in this country is criminal. The fact that you can shut a restaurant and health spas down while allowing box stores and other huge retailers to remain open is ludicrous. The government decided to pick winners and losers out of this and I believe some money changed hands in those decisions also.
    The nature of business doesn't call for the massive disparity in COVID cases between states. You're talking complete generalities with nothing to actually back up your preconceived notions. Show me how many oil rig workers or manual laborers in Wyoming or South Dakota got COVID on the job then. The difference in why certain states have significantly lower COVID cases is human behavior and action.

    If it means saving peoples lives in the thousands that's the sacrifice that needs to be made. If people want to support their local restaurants, they can order out. The government should have done more for those people and those businesses instead of bailing out their Wall Street buddies, extending PPP loans to people/entities that didn't need it, etc. More should have been done for Main Street. The government is still sitting on a stimulus bill they haven't passed in months as we speak.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-11-2020 at 08:07 PM.

  14. #7754
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    102,721
    Devin Nunes was kicked off a plane a couple months ago because he refused to wear a mask properly. Iíve got no sympathy.

  15. #7755
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,037
    Here you go bird of prey. Hereís one of many articles articulating how things should have been done.

    https://apple.news/APptls5zuTH-RqtnnFfBI2A

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •